Munster GAA Round Robin 2022

Thank you.

Do not know that part of the world at all.

Cloughjordan has proper functioning Roman Catholic, Church of Ireland and Methodist Churches in the village

They also have separate Primary schools for Catholics and Protestants.

The eco village then would bring every kind of fucker into the town.

Dinnys nephew, son of John who hurled cb for Tipp. Ran into financial difficulty, then discovered religion. Cloughjordan the venue for Portlaoise 1983 all Ireland club football final win

2 Likes

What does the eco village actually involve?

Borrisokane would also have a fairly large Church of Ireland population. I think Philip Austin may be of the Protestant faith?

1 Like

Have relations up that way. Large non-catholic population in the area. But they all speak a common language: hurling

2 Likes

Cloughjordan is originally where Thomas MacDonagh was from. One of our great republicans and co signatory of the Proclamation of Independence.

1 Like

Is the GAA pitch in Cloughjordan? One of the few GAA pitches in Tipp I was never in I’d say

Reverted to type against Cork though? Great finish for the first goal, blazed a second decent chance over the bar after making a great catch.

1 Like

Let’s just say if you drove through the village you’d know it had a significant Protestant influence from the layout.

1 Like

Clean? Few pubs?

Club and pitch named after him I believe. Is the pitch in Nenagh namedfor him as well?

In the good old days when league games rotated around counties instead of being played in the main county ground all the time, I’m pretty sure Tipp played the odd league game in Cloughjordan. Nenagh was another ground that got league games (Waterford played one there as late as 2004 I think, the game having been brought there to celebrate the 100 anniversary of the Northern board). I remember Waterford getting the mother and father of a beating in a league game in Carrick in 1975 and I have half a memory of seeing us play a league match in Clonmel.

In Waterford Portlaw got the odd league game as did Cappoquin. New Ross was a long time league venue as was Fermoy.

3 pubs I think but yeah you’d cop it from how tidy it is and the architecture. Sort of like a mini Abbeyleix.

Protestants are a much better class of person.

2 Likes

Reminds me of Castlepollard the way it is laid out. Castlepollard is the estate town for the Pakenham Estate. Not unlike Portlaw either the estate town for Lord Waterford.

2 Likes

Or Villierstown without the gates

Except for @Locke

2 Likes

I have a vague childhood memory of going to a Kilkenny league match in Callan against Dublin, mid to late 80s probably. @Locke might be able to confirm?

Imagine dragging city people to Callan.

2 Likes

Twas a regular enough venue for Harty Cup matches back in my day. That and Emly.