Munster GAA Round Robin 2022

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

We’ll bate Cork. Jason Forde will give a tour de France because nobody will bother marking him.

The pressure is arguably off now. It would take an absolute miracle for them to qualify. I reckon they would probably have to beat Waterford and Tipp by a combined total of somewhere between 15 and 20 points. They would then need results to go their way in the other matches. If Clare beat Limerick (which I suspect they will) they are into a Munster final. They would then have effectively a dead rubber against Waterford . Maybe just Maybe if Limerick beat Clare and Cork beat Waterford do Cork have a chsnce. But they would still need a favour off Clare in the last game. All possible but highly unlikely scenarios. Cork would be better off giving it a right lash against Waterford

1 Like

On all known form, Waterford will eviscerate Cork. Cork’s confidence is absolutely shot, they can’t defend, Waterford will just run through them.

Clare-Waterford will be an interesting contest.

2 Likes

Tipp never feared Limerick.

1 Like

For me, the culture around the Cork team is all wrong and the buck stops with management. I completely disagree with the notion that we don’t have the players - IMO we have the talent to win the AI, and we have the young players coming up. We do NOT however have the necessary coaching talent at the minute, which is why are miles off the pace.

Waterford didn’t win a Munster championship game for two years in 2018 and 2019, and now they find themselves as the best placed team to challenge this great Limerick team. This seismic change has arrived as a result of ruthless, top class coaching and management from Cahill, Bevans and their team.

Next year, Cork need to appoint an outside coach, as there’s not a hope they’ll go outside for a manager. Pat Ryan would be my manager of choice with Sherlock involved in some capacity. I would love to see Eddie Brennan in the Cork set up but sadly that seems like a pipe dream.

In any case, the Cork seniors need a culture change. We won two u20 AIs playing hard, fast, physical hurling with great speed and accuracy, and when that management team left the 20s, Cork have looked very average at that grade this year with a massively talented bunch of young guys. My worry now is that we are going to really waste some of our young players to an average set up and atmosphere if this does not change this Winter.

As an aside, what the fuck were we doing after the red card? Jesus christ the Clare backs had so much time on the ball it was fucking hard to watch. Cork clearly needed to push up to fuck and not allow Clare defenders any time on the ball - we had an extra defender anyway.

Kudos to Clare by the way. Very good performance, and would have been day light robbery had Cork knicked it. Lohan has them purring nicely and they looked physically in great shape.

10 Likes

I’d pretty much agree with all that.

The gap can close incredibly quick.

1 Like

Nail on the head there. The other potential issue ye have is that ye don’t do something at the end if this year, those potential u20s coming through wont hang around in a team taking relatively heavy beating for too long and will walk away

Tipp in 06/07 under Babs were pretty poor. Like Cork, they’d good underage players coming through but it was the complete culture change under Sheedy’s management that delivered an All Ireland. Cork could do the same but ye are going nowhere til ye find a full back. Cost ye an All Ireland in 2013, and a lot more since.

1 Like

You obviously know a lot more about the Cork players coming through than me but if I was a Cork supporter, I would be very very concerned about the gaping deficiencies in the game of some of their key players. Like, putting out a midfield that can’t win any dirty ball, forwards who won’t tackle etc.

A good coach can possibly rectify some of those issues but some hard calls might need to be made too.

I was looking at the bench yesterday, and I didn’t think there were any players to really change things up bar maybe Connolly. A lot of the players on the bench were quite similar to those starting. I just think that a fairly big overhaul is needed which may mean that 2023 is a transitional season for Cork even if they get a top coach.

In reality, the changing of the u21 grade to u20 also adds an additional year to the transitional period

Correct. Although the likes it Tipp 2010 and Clare 2013 had rakes of young lads

They do mate but its not just yer management. Cork club hurling (the few I have seen) are pretty munch non contact. The refs blow for eveything and games are littered with soft frees
In general the Cork public have loved this.

They do right now. We have three spins with them in the next two weeks. A hat trick would be nice

Kev maintained cork had the best full back in Ireland in 2013 :smiley:

Is Ger Cunningham involved in the current set up?

No.

1 Like

It’s more a different attitude than different attributes or ability that’s needed most.

Jim Gavin could be the man Cork look to.

Its Pat Gilroy they could do with