Munster Rugby - We DID start the fire (Part 1)

Stadium half empty?

11 Likes
1 Like

Munster fans singing a Connacht song whilst playing a London team in Coventry.

4 Likes

As regards the crowd, I feel that the organisersā€™ decision to move away from terrestrial television, and now even away from Sky in favour of BT, a channel which few, including myself, receive, has been a big negative for this competition.

In Ireland, this competition was built by RTE. The residual hype continued for three years or so after RTE lost rights but pretty much ended when Leinster won it 2009.

Now itā€™s simply forgotten by the non-hardcore rugby public amid the endless hype of association football, and in England seems to be faring much worse than in Ireland even - and here itā€™s much less of a big deal than it was in the 2000s.

2 Likes

The competition did very well until the shambolic ā€œreorganizationā€ out in Switzerland.

The organizers are morons. Playing this game in Coventry was pure stupidity.

As quoted above however itā€™s the exact same fixture as 2008 with half the crowd

Disgraceful booing of a player by the Munster fans

Did Conway play Gaelic Football?

Is an All European League with promotion and relegation the way forward?

That was the height of the Munster bandwagon.

The attendances and interest went up post 2008. Leinster dominating was very good for the competition. Saracens are an issue as they are a fake club.

I can agree on BT Sport. Though their coverage is superior across most sports, the fact that Virgin Media donā€™t provide access hurts the competition.

A 4 division/2 conference European League would be tremendous.

All this happy fingers shite is cringe while Farrell is kicking

Wtf is the ref on about.

Is that Strettle who scored a try for England at Croke Park in 2007?

If so, he must be as ould as the hills.

If the two Irish teams were to lose would St. Jamesā€™ be even half full for the final?

Saracens are a Disgrace of a club if they have 2000 supporters there it be pushing it.Youā€™d see more support for an ail team

The atmosphere at Highfield Road is very reminiscent of a Manchester City game. Same colour empty seats and all.

Yes.

Still a super player.

Murray sold him a pup there

They are a bizarre club. They do fill out their little stadium quite well but they are a 20 year project.

I respect what they do on the field and building their squads but it is terrible that they got so much influence in rugby just because they had owners willing to accumulate losses.