Munster Rugby - We DID start the fire (Part 1)

The existence of a better road to Cork, has undermined our hospital and our airport and continues to undermine our efforts to upgrade the IT to a university ( a campaign I donā€™t agree with anyway)

Fair enough. Always easier blame someone else

1 Like

What?

The Frank Murphy Paircway.

1 Like

Cork is a ridiculous town. Hills all over the place and the airport built on the side of one so a Fianna FƔil supporter could get a cash windfall. Fog stopping flights loads of times a year. :roll_eyes:

Why did they spend 120 million upgrading the place? A sop to MichƩal Martin in cabinet?

Build a better road between the places and upgrade the superior airport in a better geographical location, but the locals want everything. Itā€™s no wonder that Dublin Airport has been devouring the two of them.

2 Likes

I thought the route was already decided?

Exactly. We will be dominating for the next decade and need swift exit to get home for the celebrations.

Happening in the South East.

Sure the way things are, yeā€™ll be back in the helicopters. Surely the govt can see that any road improvements are superfluous. Itā€™s helipads thatā€™s needed. I wonder is there an EU grant for that.

It was. But they allocated a few million quid there last year to have another look at it and see was there another alternative. I donā€™t think it will be changed

100% true.

1 Like

Shannon airport caters for Galway, Clare, Limerick, Tipp, North Corkā€¦ Cork caters for Cork

Should they close it altogether so?

Cork Airport is in a heap of debt and cannot support itself without being on Dublinā€™s books.

Cork needs a bargain basement airport with superior facilities at Shannon. Good road and people are there in an hour from Cork. Passengers are already sucking into Dublin from that region and Belfast because of superior choice.

Balanced regional development I think itā€™s called.

I am flying to Italy for holidays from Dublin on Saturday. 1hr 50 mins to long term parking from my house on the west side of Limerick city. Airport shuttle a further 10/15 minutes. Easy.

Case in point. Dublin has sucked a lot of traffic from Belfast as well, with superior choice and being so close.

The south of Ireland does not need two major international airports.

They should use this opportunity to bypass Adare on the N20 side. They are supposed to be building a motorway on the otherside of Adare as it stands to service Foynes, but they could kill two birds here while they are at it.
There are parts of the road not too bad so if they focussed on the awful parts like bypassing Charleville & Buttevant for a start thereā€™d be decent short term gains.
I donā€™t know where they are getting the 16mins from. Itā€™s 80kms according to google maps and at this time of the day itā€™d take an hour & 12. Roscrea which is about the same from the well but by motorway is 44mins so circa 25mins. At peak times Iā€™d imagine the saving would be closer to 45 mins.
Limerick to Cork is 1hr 42 at the minute off peak for a 100km drive. An average expected speed of about 60km an hour. Get that up to 100km an hour and itā€™s an hours journey (obviously). And if you were inclined to go at say 140kmph for the motorway part youā€™d be talking 50 mins handy, nearly half the time and thatā€™s off peak!

Jesus, is it gone this bad? Been 10+ years since I did that journey regularly for a while and I always did it in less than 1.5 hours, even at busy times.

youā€™d do it in 1.25 on an average day.

The south of Ireland does not need a host of 40-50k concrete monolith stadia with average facilities either but sure try and explain that to the parochial locals there ā€¦

1 Like