Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2023 (Part 1)

They’ll win fuckall

Jesus, you’re tagging a lad for thinking they’d make a semi final, sure there’s only six teams in it :grinning:

2 Likes

Limerick, Tipp, Clare, Waterford, KK, Galway?

1 Like

Be an almighty disappointment if Cork don’t don’t make an all Ireland semi final. They are well placed to get out of Munster then a handy match against a Joe McDonagh team and then a quarter final against Dublin, Wexford or Kilkenny.

1 Like

You’re calling Joyce overrated as a 20 year old and comparing him to Conlan, Hannon and Maher?

He is in that level of elite centre backs. Calling him overrated is very wide of the mark

1 Like

I think O’Mara is better than him

1 Like

Not a hope in hell, although O’Mara is very good.

There’s also a 4 year age gap which makes the world of difference at this level. Even then, Joyce is better.

Possibly, but I think the big thing is the massive increase in S&C standards at senior level since 2016/2017.

Do you remember when Kyle first broke in as a senior as an 18 year old? He was thrown around the place by Daithi Burke. It took Kyle a year to step up to the mark S&C wide, and Kyle is freakishly big/athletic.

Realistically, most players don’t stop growing until they are about 22 and that’s probably the earliest you will see players bar the odd few.

Covid probably did hurt players too, although I would say you’ll see that impact at younger age groups rather than 20/21-year olds.

1 Like

Not to be pedantic but I think it’s three.

This is the first year Tipp have really had O’Mara fit and available. We will see how both get on over the season.

I suppose it all depends, it’d be considered a failure if they weren’t to get out of Munster, you don’t want to be going backwards anyway.
They were miles ahead of Galway last year and couldn’t do it at the QF stage so the semis would have to be the benchmark, though Tipp and Clare are stronger this year which complicates things.
As things stand I’m happy to rank them at number 2

Watching back the Limerick Clare match a few things struck me.

David Mcinerney was even better than I remembered, completely dominated his patch. Scored a point and think I counted 7 more scores we got off turnovers/hard balls he won to start the attack or him delivering the final ball. Could easily have been MOTM.

The tv viewing doesn’t do Shane O’Donnell’s performance especially without the ball justice. Would love to see the stats in relation to hooks, blocks and tackles. There were some amount in the match.

Aaron Gillane’s body language in the second half looked pretty poor. A few times he just simply stopped after the initial break rather than trying to tackle or harry the defender close by. Maybe he was frustrated with Cleary or the lack of ball but it is unlike him.

Tom Morrissey ruined a fine performance with some really poor wides. He was excellent throughout.

Colm Lyons was pretty fair to both sides watching back - thought he was harsh on Clare from the stands but think he got a lot right. Probably could have given two frees for the body checks on Hegarty and David Fitz but gave neither so was at least consistent.

Adam Hogan is a dinger - not one bit phased with the physicality of the middle third and cool out on the ball. One great passage of play where he takes a heavy enough blow to the head and is on his back at the butt of a ruck over by the sideline but sees Morrissey is about to get the break, he hops up and tears after Morrissey with no Hurley forcing him out over the sideline. Wiley beyond his years.

Cathal Malone utterly dominated any ball that hit the ground, time after time he emerged with the ball. Great to see but he played 4 or 5 hospital passes after doing the hard work which was somewhat frustrating.

Limerick, who routinely destroy teams down the stretch with their decision making and sharpness of hurling in the last ten minutes looked extremely ragged. Be interesting to see if it is a blip or sign of decline - Shane O’Donnell’s point after Quaid saved from Shanagher was a microcosm of it, ball broke out and there were three or more limerick players there ti tidy up, Hayes was incredibly laboured in getting it to hand under no pressure allowing Clare time to pressure his clearance which was poor. Clare turn it over but Limerick still had heaps of bodies yet O’Donnell breaks 4 tackles with relative ease before pointing - that typically doesn’t happen Limerick in those moments over the past few seasons.

3 Likes

I think Clare scored off each of the three Quaid stops (one went over directly from it).
Fine margins.

Do you think it was fine margins? I thought Clare outplayed us fairly comprehensively, I don’t know how the gap was only one at the end. A textbook gaa trope of needing to be ten points better to win by one.

1 Like

A 4 point victory for Clare would have been about right.

We missed some very uncharacteristic wides, bad frees etc and we were certainly outfought in some sectors. We relied on three good stops from Quaid, one was top class, but then one he will be very disapointed with as well. We had loads of chances to tack on scores here and there but left Clare in the hunt.

It reminded me of KK in 19, it just wasn’t happening on the day for whatever reason. We weren’t finished after losing that, and we certainly aren’t finished now.

We were unbeaten and unbeatable last Friday and now some fellas would have you belive we are finished.

There was nothing between ourselves and Clare last year either, they match up well with us and are willing to go toe to toe. For some reason it seems to be a gear they only save for Limerick, but that’s another story. They didn’t become a bad team by losing one game to Tipp either.

This Limerick team were unbeaten in championship since 2019, just strolled through the league and now lads want all sorts of mad changes made on the basis of a narrow defeat.

We’ll be grand.

4 Likes

JP’s cheque got lost in the post last week obviously

This crowd appear to be trying to make a business out of doing post match analysis for teams. The world has gone mad.

1 Like

There’s loads of them doing it, or attempting to

They cover performance analysis for a rake of club teams and quite a few inter county teams at various levels. I wouldnt say they will ever get stinking rich from it but there is decent money to be made at this stuff if your good at it and these lads are.

Cool your jets pal. It was another poster drew the comparison, I was just responding.
As for elite centre backs, ffs. :joy:

1 Like