Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2023 (Part 1)

Lol.

I can only assume the shortage is related to the Covid breaks and disruption on panels.

I’d imagine is more closely linked to the move from Minor to U17 and U21 to U20. There’s a huge chasm between underage and senior now as a consequence.

Ya from 10 to 18 a couple of successful teams were back boned by one or two age groups. Tipp, Clare and Limerick.

You could add a competitive Waterford side too. After 2018 it looked like a real younger man’s game.

I’d say it’s nearly become an older man’s game. Back in 2016 Eanna Martin was the only Wexford panellist over the age of 26. Now the core of the team are north of that. There are very few key protagonists still in college compared to 2013 when you had a teenage Tony Kelly as HOTY.

It’s pretty remarkable that the Tipp 2010 lads are still hanging around.

Last year when Kilkenny were in trouble they were turning to a crocked Richie hogan.

Daithi Burke and Gearoid mcinerney were on the wane for a few years now and yet they are still 3 and 6.

It’s usually the younger guys who improve standards.

The most overrated hurler in Ireland at the moment.

Don’t forget the likes of Joseph and Conor Cooney too. Still regulars in the Galway team.

I think he’s very good imo. He’s a lot of very average players around him and it’s a tricky position to get right.

Richie Reid, Gearoid mcinerney, Ronan Maher, John conlon, Declan hannon, de burca and Ronan Maher were the starting 6s for the other counties and they must be all 28 plus.

I’d have Maher, Conlon & Hannon over Joyce all day long.
You’re right about the average players around him though, it’s what makes him look good.

We prefer the phrase ‘sunsetting’ instead of crocked.

1 Like

humans have got significantly faster in the last 10 years?

No just the amateur hobbyists mate

3 Likes

Players with ten years experience are likely to be better than a lad in his second season, in fairness.

They’re all still very good players. I don’t understand the fixation with retiring lads when they reach thirty or even late twenties when they still have a few good years or even peak years left in them.

I think the Cork lads are slightly overestimating how good their team is. @backinatracksuit said they’re the second best team in the country. @AlanHQ said they’d make a semi final and @Perez2017 thinks they’ll win an AI in the next two years.

4 Likes

Daithi Burke may not be quite as great as he once was but he’s still very good. You can’t push him off the team just because of a number. You push him of when he can’t perform at the required level any more. Besides he’s 30 not 34.

6 Likes

Exactly he is performing at a very high level. He is experienced, done it before. He would be miles ahead of any potential player coming through even as he is in the Autumn of his career. Patrick Horgan was moving better and able to get more seperation than any other forward I saw last Sunday and he is 34/35. The only difference is probably recovery after games but if players can get over that hurdle there is no reason why they cant play at a high level into their mid 30s. Now a wife and kids is another matter entirely or the wish perhaps to further your professional career prospects.

Bryan O’Mara is Tipp’s centre-back now. He had a good first day out tbf but tougher tests to come.

Do you think the switch to 20s has hindered development? I think it’s clouded by the Covid years too tbf.

You can get away with less pace now and that has increased the lifespan of many players I think. Obviously inside forwards and backs can’t get away with it but the rest can and do.