Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2023 (Part 1)

I take form, I believe Clare would beat Tipperary if they play them again keeper fucked them the first day out and I think Tipperary were five points the better team last night. Cork are not very good.

Dalton is a poor man’s shane dowling.

2 Likes

There’ll be another 30k plus in Thurles in two weeks time. An epic championship again.

All that’s left on ticketmaster is those terrible end sections and terrace tickets.

1 Like

I dont think they would. Tipp scored at will and when they wanted. Any time Clare threatened a comeback Tipp were able to ease out the scoreboard time and again. I dont even think it was a good performance by Tipp that night and they had another gear or 2. Clare got a goal in garbage time to make it a 5 point game from an 8 point game. Cusack Park is worth a few points to them too. Too much has been made of Clares performance against Limerick who barely got over the line against a rabble in Waterford. Also the Clare goalie had a mare but we would have found other ways to score the goals if they were needed. I dont think Clare are the 2nd coming and whilst they will account for Waterford I think they could be caught on the hop by Cork. Just my 2 cents.

I wouldn’t be his biggest fan but he delivered. Like a gazelle at the start. Left the likes of Ronan Maher and Dan McCormack in his wake for the goal. Ronan Maher was at fault for three of the Cork goals. His wicked slow.

I thought in general Tipp were impressive yesterday, they had a good structure and plan. Ball inside was good and dominated the middle third. The soft goals killed them, but prior to the last 5 minutes they’d responded well every time Cork scored.

1 Like

We were in the city end and had a good view of first Cork goal. He literally didnt move. Like a statue. Shocking stuff. Its no coincidence that he has played better when Tipp have played against the wind. He caught and cleared a good few balls in 2nd half of both Clare and Cork games when teams have lumped ball down on top of him but when teams are carrying ball into more scoreable positions and working ball through the lines he is goosed. Kennedy, McCormack offered some protection there but cant put out all the fires. Limerick could move Hayes up there 2 weeks time and try to expose us there.

Yeah the turnaround in no time at all has been remarkable. Hopefully we can be one of the 3 that gets out. I think they will improve for each game. A lot of new players in pivotal positions who so far have looked up to it and show no signs the occasion is too big for them. Last night was a cauldron with a big Cork crowd and I thought they’ll come on even more from that.

2 Likes

It’s very difficult to see a situation where Tipperary don’t qualify now. Even if they lose to Limerick they have the fall back of what will probably be a gimme at home to an already eliminated Waterford.

They’re basically in the same position now as a team which wins the first leg of a Champions League tie 3-1 away from home.

1 Like

Hard to be too confident about Waterford having their say. The fact that they were such a rabble from the first whistle last week against Cork in a game that was long identified as a make or break game for their season is a very bad sign.

Waterford started every bit as poorly against Limerick the week before, found themselves 8 down about 20 minutes in, but were alert to the fact that Limerick weren’t at much on the day and hung in there.

In the previous three seasons of Round Robin, Waterford had patchy to poor starts in Round 1 and Round 2, before going completely downhill with wheels coming off in Round 3 and 4.

As against that, Waterford because of results all round over first 5 games are probably just about still in a scenario where if they win their last 2 games they’ll have pretty decent prospects of advancement. They need to adopt a knockout championship hurling mentality. They’ll be given no chance going in against Clare and hardly anyone from Waterford will bother travelling. They’ve been getting it in the neck all week about their disgraceful performance against Cork last week, so does all of that provoke a reaction?

Even if it did provoke a reaction and Waterford turned up, can they post a winning total under the constipated brand of hurling that Celebrity Bainisteoir Davy serves up? Scoring over first two games for all sides is instructive.

Cork 0-27, 4-19
Tipperary 5-22, 2-25
Clare 3-23, 1-24
Limerick 1-18, 2-20
Waterford 0-19, 0-18

1 Like

Hardly a new issue, same as Galway game last year.

An awful shame Tipp Limerick is on the same day as Cork and Clare. I’d have loved to have gone to see it.

That was an ominous Cork performance. Midfield obliterated, half back line poor and defence gave up a load of goal chances. Only positives were Dalton and the subs.

I fear we’ll be the odd one out in a very competitive Munster championship unless Clare play multiple levels below their Limerick performance. If we have to get a win in Limerick we are fucked, they love beating us. Sad when you see how shite the Leinster championship is.

7 Likes

That’s essentially it. The only complicating factor for Tipperary there would be if Waterford beat Clare. If Waterford don’t beat Clare and are eliminated next Saturday night, you can be fairly certain that Waterford will down tools last game.

Waterford shock Clare and Waterford are going in against Tipperary with a good chance that a win there will secure advancement.

The former scenario is the far more likelier of the two.

Surely its a positive not to be at the limits of your capacity and get some kind of result against a team in relatively good form. Cork seem to have the personnel but just need to find the right mix. That can happen when a lot of new players are on boarded at once.

2 Likes

Limerick have a high enough bar to jump here. They’ll need 3 pts from the last 2 games to be sure of getting through. A loss to Tipp and Cork beating Clare and they’re out with a round to play.

I agree and I think PR has been served a poor hand by Kingston’s conservatism but in a practical sense I can’t see us getting out of Munster.

An already eliminated Waterford downing tools in the final round robin game is becoming a lovely little tradition.

One could make the point however that Waterford have downed tools well before the final game in most of the round robin competitions that have been held since 2018.

1 Like

Tipp should have won that game by somewhere between 6-8 points but we’re just not good enough to hammer anyone really. Cork were poor for 60 minutes and should have been dead and buried. Tipp could never get that all important ‘scoreboard separation’.

Ronan Maher should have walked alright and you’d wonder was Fitzgibbon concussed afterwards. I wouldnt be criticising Fitzgibbon for being anonymous after it. A yellow was just about right for the Barrett incident.

Noel McGrath was absolute joy to watch all night. His vision is something else. He’s thinking 2 or 3 steps ahead of everyone else. He should have been the one to hit the late free. John was barely on the pitch and barely touched the ball.

You’d have to hand it to Mark Keohe too. If it didnt go well when he came on last night that may well have been that for his Tipp career but he scored well. Sean Ryan just couldnt make it stick and Bowe looked off it. Pity Callanan wasnt on sooner. He’s still way better than his younger contemporaries.

Overall its a very average Tipp team ability wise , but their tackling is excellent or at least looked to be excellent(seemed to win all the physicality stakes) and they are very well set up tactically on puckouts which in the ‘modern’ game means an awful lot. A pity about the lack of pace at the back but Cork do have some very fast lads who will expose that big time.

I couldnt see Cork taking another point from their remaining games based off last night. Away from home i dont see them doing anything. I cant understand why they dont start Kingston all the time. He should be the second name on the teamsheet after Horgan.

7 Likes

Shite work rate, can’t tackle, very inconsistent, usually better off the bench.