Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2023 (Part 1)

I also think the Round Robin has thrown up plenty of surprises. 2018 nobody would have expected Tipp would have won no games. Remember they were only two years out from winning an All Ireland and another year out from narrowly missing a final appearance against Waterford. Last year you didn’t seem to have many here bar the Clare boys and myself I think tip Clare to get out. And 2019 when Galway (themselves finalists in the two previous years’ All Irelands) did not even get out of Leinster. There’s been plenty of drama in it.

This year, the expectation (rightly so) is that Limerick will win all five of their games in Munster. But no other game is a gimme. You might have three teams win a game each

1 Like

The Backdoor route worked. Top brass got greedy and it will backfire in the long term

1 Like

Oh yes… yeah I wouldn’t really be in favour of that to be honest. You do hear certain people pushing for it alright, but I do think that Championship should carry some jeopardy for as long as possible and that will be very difficult to factor in a 10-team league.

In that respect, I think two groups of 5 as we (almost) have is nearly the best of both worlds. Probably removing the provincial aspect to make it fairer. Or else just revert to the old format in which your provincials are basically worthless and it starts to get going then.

As I said, I don’t really care, much of a muchness to me. Both have pros and cons. I think the upcoming football format sounds bad though, trying to mix both. Either do one or the other.

There has been dross every year… The first round of
qualifiers were almost always pointless.
Some serious misty eyed nonsense being spouted.

The reason we ended up with this format is people were complaining about the other formats. It’s as simple as that.
Straight ko meant some teams only had one championship game and that was seen, correctly, as ridiculous.

The backdoor meant teams only had two games. People complained about that.

The current system is far from perfect. But at least in the hurling the group is at the start. The football championship is ridiculous, a group half way through and 3 from 4 get through. So much pointlessness

3 Likes

I couldn’t believe 3 from 4 get through :see_no_evil:

Genuinely thought that was a joke to annoy me. Who comes up with this shit?

I even heard of people saying that the hurling groups should have 4 come out… I mean what would be the fucking point of that.

Not soft Eamon cregan.

You left out diplomatic immunity mate.

Probably? :grinning:

And Shefflin is doing it for charity.

1 Like

Look over there.

FFS, just seen there that Clare v Tipp isn’t live on TV next Sunday. It’s only on GAAGO.

RTE have Limerick v Waterford at 2pm and then Galway v Roscommon in football after at 4pm.

Ah fuck

I was trying to explain this to the father and he cant get his head around it. (He also can’t get his head around Munster Champioship in April but anyway) The Tipp v Cork game in a few weeks isn’t on TV either.

I don’t mind paying the 79 euro for GAAGO (its only money) but if I’m not around to set up the Laptop/HDMI for him at the time of throw in, its not worth a shit.

How they couldn’t just stick it on the Skybox as Channel 523 or something I’ll never know.

5 Likes

The Leinster hurling championship TV coverage is of all Kilkenny games, and that is it. Fcuking jokeshop devised by a rubby fan no doubt.

I’m expecting a similar call from my dad (a Tipp man) imminently

Throw on tipp FM like ye did in the good old days and quit your bellyaching.
Christ last week the round robin was the worst thing that ever happened the game and this week you can’t find a place to watch the round robin game that interests you.

1 Like

It’s brutal. Clare have one televised MSHC match.

Need to investigate record functionality on the Firestick, I haven’t used it before.

GAAGO Exclusive Matches

Sat 8 April
CSFC New York v Leitrim (10pm Irish)

Sat 22 April
USFC Cavan v Antrim/Armagh, Breffni Park / Corrigan Park (6pm)
LSHC Galway v Wexford (5pm)
MSFC Tipperary/Waterford v Kerry (time tbc)

Sun 23 April
MSHC Clare v Tipperary (4pm)
LSFC Dublin v Wexford/Laois (time tbc)

Sat 29 April
USFC Ferm/Der v Tyr/Mon (5pm)
MSHC Limerick v Clare (7pm)

Sun 30 April
LSFC Semi Finals (2 x games) (time tbc)

Sat 6 May
MSHC Cork v Tipperary (7pm)
LSHC Dublin v Wexford (5pm)

Sun 7 May
LSHC Antrim v Kilkenny (time tbc)

Sat 13 May MSHC Waterford v Clare (6pm)
Tailteann R1 ‘Game of the Week’ (time tbc)

Sat 20 May
SFC Rd1 (2 x games) (time tbc)
LSHC Kilkenny v Dublin (6pm)
Tailteann Cup Rd2 ‘Game of the Week’ (time tbc)

Sat 27 May
SFC Rd1 (2 x games) (times tbc)

Sun 28 May
MSHC / LSHC round robin (1 x game) (time tbc)

Sat 3 June
SFC Round 2 (2 x games) (time tbc)

Sun 4 June
SFC Rd2 (1 x game) (time tbc)
Tailteann Cup Rd 3 ‘Game of the Week’ (time tbc)

Sat 10 June
Tailteann Preliminary Quarter Finals (2 x games) (time tbc)

Sat 17 June
SFC Rd 3 (Simultaneous T/I times) (2 x games) (time tbc)

Sun 18 June
SFC Rd 3 (2 x games) (time tbc)
Tailteann Cup Quarter Finals (2 x games) (time tbc)

Sat 24 June
SFC Prelim Quarter Finals (2 x games) (time tbc)

Sat 1 July
SFC Quarter Finals (2 x games) (time tbc

You can now watch most of your county underage matches on clubber.ie or other streaming sites. But if a non-televised senior championship game isn’t selected for GGAGO either then there’s no alternative streaming option allowed. So I could watch Wexford play some diddy U17 football game or something online but Galway-Wexford in senior hurling isn’t available. This split season is an absolute farce. Thankfully Wexford will be eliminated early so the clay court style club hurling since can be completed before Wimbledon finishes.

Edit: Galway-Wexford is available on GAAGO. I withdraw my above tirade.

6 Likes

That’s what he’ll end up doing.

People are going to stop caring completely very soon. The Championship’s will pass people by.