Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2023 (Part 1)

Will there be a handshake? Christ they got two weeks out of that the last time

Great to see Tom Barron dropped.he was playing some terrible stuff…hard to see waterford picking up any win unfortunately.

When you’re as flighty as Davey these things get diluted.

Like Galway had for the first one hundred years of the competition is it

It’s not correct that Galway had a bye into the semi-finals for the first hundred years of the All-Ireland hurling championship.

They had a bye into the final sometimes.

Did the Ulster winners not always come in at the semi final stage?

No there was no Ulster team in AI series for decades. Antrim made the breakthrough in the late 80s, fine team

1 Like

Clare’s full squad is as follows:

1. Eibhear Quilligan (Feakle)

2. Adam Hogan (Feakle)

3. Conor Cleary (St Joseph’s Miltown)

4. Rory Hayes (Wolfe Tones)

5. Diarmuid Ryan (Cratloe)

6. John Conlon (Clonlara)

7. David McInerney (Tulla)

8. David Fitzgerald (Inagh-Kilnamona)

9. Cathal Malone (Sixmilebridge)

10. Peter Duggan (Clooney-Quin)

11. Tony Kelly (Ballyea)

12. Aidan McCarthy (Inagh-Kilnamona)

13. Ryan Taylor (Clooney-Quin)

14. Shane O’Donnell (Éire Óg)

15. Mark Rodgers (Scariff)

16. Éamonn Foudy (Inagh-Kilnamona)

17. Cian Nolan (Smith O’Brien’s)

18. Ian Galvin (Clonlara)

19. Shane Meehan (Banner)

20. Aron Shanagher (Wolfe Tones)

21. Aaron Fitzgerald (Éire Óg)

22. Robin Mounsey (Ruan)

23. Paul Flanagan (Ballyea)

24. Cian Galvin (Clarecastle)

25. Jack Kirwan (Parteen-Meelick)

26. Seadna Morey (Sixmilebridge)

Good ol Seadna, hanging there God bless him.

Talk is that there will be one change to the side, one of the forwards dealing with a calf issue. Assume Shanagher or Meehan in from the start

It is a dangerous place to be this weekend for Clare. Clare were in a similar spot to Waterford in 2019 as were Cork last year off the back of two bad defeats, being written off and attitudes questioned and both sides gave big performances when they weren’t really expected so Waterford are a dangerous animal.

It looks like they went all out to beat Limerick in terms of prep and game plan and emptied themselves coming up short. They simply couldn’t recalibrate in a week and had an awful systems failure against Cork where to a man they never hurled.

But this isn’t a particularly callow or inexperienced Clare team, it’s year four of this management and if they have their sights set on getting back to Croke Park these are the games you have to simply go and win. Despite us handing Tipp three big leads they never gave up and battled to the end which isn’t easy when you are making unforced errors and giving up very cheap goals. The spirit is good and it is a team full of pace and plenty of physicality too who you would hope should be able to weather whatever Waterford throw at them.

While the Waterford full forward line as named looks strong, will they actually line out as such? Assume they will play with two of them isolated inside with Gleeson moving out the field. Aside from those three it is hard to see where the score come from. Does Hogan follow? With Hayes v Hutch and Cleary v Bennett inside?

I don’t think Waterford are capable of hitting 25 points to beat us and I doubt Davy had much interest in trying to make this a shoot out - they may well try and snaffle a couple of goals and see can they get a lead and make it an arm wrestle.

Hard to see how Waterford pick themselves off the floor to win this unless Clare make some more back breaking unforced errors

2 Likes

If Waterford come out and have a proper cut at it and throw off the shackles they’ve every chance.

The more likely outcome though is another offering of constipated Davyball posting a tally of about 0-20.

A few options off the bench.

Waterford will win if the players tell Davy to fuck off. A little like the 2013 replayed final.

1 Like

Is this another stats nerd with a column?

5 Likes

I almost yawned when I saw it there. Another one-off-match breakdown talking as if they’ve changed the game drastically.

I think the guy that wrote that actually manages Ahane’s Senior Hurlers

There’s no passion in writing about hurling by numbers. Bores the shit out of me.

Martin breheny