Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2023 (Part 1)

Loughnane’s evisceration of Dictionary Derek a number of years ago was a thing of beauty.

3 Likes

So Derek was responsible for Conor Gleeson getting sent off in the semi. Responsible for Kevin Moran wide. Responsible for Shane Bennett injury. Responsible for Jamie Barron being sick that day. Responsible for Fergal Horgan. I am not the one that needs sparing. I stated facts. Whether people like them or not, that is their problem.

He was the manager, mate.

The manager that came the closest to winning an All Ireland for Waterford in over 60 years. Mate! Yet the most vilified in Waterford and outside of the county. I dont understand. Is it because he writes in a way some people cannot comprehend? Jealousy from certain neighbouring city clubs?

Vilified?

He’s a massive source of amusement.

He can’t objectively analyse Waterford with remarking on his past setups, players, game plans etc.

He takes any criticism personally as opposed to objectively setting out how they could improve or how they might breakdown future opposition.

He can’t let his past managerial stint go although he made a bollocks of the best panel in generations.

( blaming Fergal Horgan :joy: )

6 Likes

I think his analysis of Waterford is spot on in most respects. I do not think he takes criticism personally. Best panel in generations? That is a matter of opinion. And as for Horgan, a very biased referee in my opinion. His problem with Waterford goes back a long way. To an u21 game in Bansha. Fagan might fill us in on that one. Anyway Horgan has enough to be worrying about now.

That throw ball he gave straight to Niall Burke around the 60th minute of that Final was a bizarre piece of officiating.

Coupled with the De Burca red card and Under 21 debacle in Walsh Park that summer against Cork i can certainly see Waterford’s grievances.

2 Likes

The final where Davy’s masterstroke to start Shane O’ Donnell at full-forward ahead of Darach Honan won them the game?

4 Likes

Hardly a masterstroke Honan was a donkey and it was painfully obvious that Corks backs were snail slow and to throw as much pace at them was a no brainer.

In fairness to Honan he came on and scored a goal himself that day too. Far from a donkey. All-Ireland winner at U21 and senior.

1 Like

You’re being a bit silly there, it was a huge call and Davy played it brilliantly.

His hips were gone, the game was long over when he scored, underage titles aren’t worth a fuck.

Honan was a cracking player, he could do some incredible things and he contributed a lot all year. Awful shame the way the injuries ruined him given the talent he had. Bit like Kevin Downes that way for my money.

3 Likes

You are spot on there but not in the way you think.

An awful shame for him having to retire at 27. Presume he didn’t play for Clonlara after that either. His father was a brilliant hurler in the late 70’s too apparently.

Honan was awkward but pretty much unmarkable as a 19 year old in the 2009 U21 Championship.

Honan was far from a donkey.

Did you ever see him play or are you just talking out of your hole?

A good underage hurler who ran over lads at that age with his size and mobility so much so his hips were bolloxed by his early 20s and he was just lugging around the FF line more of a nuisance than a threat for a finish. Fellas here are reacting like he was an all time great senior hurler :laughing:

If he was around now he’d be averaging 2-02 per game.

There were serious hurlers knocking around when he was breaking through.