Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2023 (Part 1)

Oh he won’t like that

He wont.

Dragging up a random wrong prediction from last September was a bizarre attack on me in fairness.

The reach of the Limerick’s never ceases to amaze me. I wonder is JP behind it all? Their attention to detail reminds me of the Dublin Footballers under Jim Gavin when they’d have backroom officials on laptops down in Ennis analysing Clare v Cork in a Munster Semi Final despite the chances of Dublin meeting either team later in the Championship being very slim.

Save the Waterford lads a trip to Clare like the Wexford lads did to coax him back …

1 Like

Au contraire mon ami.

If he is still there for the Tipp game, he needs to stick Ozzy to 14, Dessie in the corner and the Ballygunner kid in the other corner and stick to it. See what he has. That line should work logically with supply.

2 Likes

There was always a sense with Cahill in Waterford that he took the job on the rebound after he was passed over for the Tipperary job for Liam Sheedy in 2019 and couldn’t get back to Tipperary fast enough. Cahill did knuckle down in Waterford and did well in 2020 and 2021. He gave a very funny interview just after Waterford beat Tipperary in 2021 Quarter Final when all he could talk about was Tipperary.

Cahill was actively looking for the Tipperary job for 2022 when Sheedy stepped down. I spotted Cahill in the Palace Bar the night before the Cork v Limerick 2021 All Ireland Final with a delegation of former Tipperary players from the Babs era and Tipperary supporters club crew. When I nipped in for a quick drink before going to the final on the Sunday, Cahill was back there again with the same crew. It was widely reported then over the following week or two, that he was taking the Tipperary job. Seemingly, the County Board wouldn’t bow to his demands so he went crawling back to Waterford.

That all rankled with the Waterford players, which you could understand. He only stayed with them because he couldn’t get the job he wanted even though Waterford were operating at a much higher level than Tipperary in 2020 and 2021. I believe that Bevans his coach was missing for a lot of the lead in and early stages of the Championship last year as his mother was terminally ill and died a few after the Limerick match. The story is that in Bevans absence, Cahill lost the run of himself and flogged them to death in the 3 weeks before the Limerick and Cork match. That Cork match in Walsh Park was where it all completely unraveled. Players were dead on their feet after that and Cahill threw them under the bus afterwards.

Waterford County Board, I’m lead to believe still wanted Cahill at the helm in 2023. Players quite likely had different ideas but I don’t believe there was any heave or moves against Cahill. Colm Bonnar was shafted and Cahill was in the Tipperary job within a day or two. Waterford County Board left high and dry.

21 Likes

Davy is trying to play football tactics and seems to be completely ignoring the fact that they are two completely different sports where you can score from much further out and retaining possession is much more difficult. He has also just completely ignored what tactics might suit his panel. I mean Waterford aren’t set up for that game at all at all. Even if it was a decent tactic. Which it clearly isn’t

That pretty much sums it up. Your timelines are correct.

Shows the value of Bevans to Cahill too. He is absolutely brilliant.

Waterford County Board should have told Cahill where to go when he came crawling back to them after overplaying his hand in August 2021. I’d actually have a lot of sympathy for the Waterford players. They’ve had two managers inflicted on them in the past 4 years who were just not up to it, Patsy Fanning and Davy and Cahill constantly trying to jilt them.

Davy needs to be moved on and the managerial appointment for next year is absolutely critical.

2 Likes

I could see Brendan Cummins taking it.

A lot of Tipp people not happy with his U20’s this year but he just didn’t have the players in my opinion.

Wow. Just wow.

Works for Kinnerk tbf

There’s not too many really putting their hand up within the county. I wouldn’t be too gone on Molumphy.

Interesting that none of the Ken McGrath, Mullane, Browne generation never went for the job.

You’d have to say Dan hasn’t helped his chances

Would Waterford have fared any worse if they just played 15 in traditional positions and went for it?
Not taking anything from Clare by the way

Hego was right to leave the panel with the amount of blatent nasty cheap Clare cheating that goes on thats not called out

2 Likes

It was hard to read too much into Clare, Waterford were such a rabble. Clare weren’t too hectic before the Callum Lyons sending off, but even if Waterford had maintained the full compliment, likelihood is Clare still would have pulled well clear.

Clare probably still in a scenario where the Clare v Cork game will eliminate a loser, so the pressure is still on.

Quitter