Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2023 (Part 1)

You’d be fairly confident a fan poll picking the team and let the captain pick the tactics would get better results

1 Like

Twould get more buy in by the looks of it anyway

@ceist can you pick a starting team of the Waterford senior hurlers in 2024 if they were to have all available players available

I’m afraid you’ve reached this week’s quota for bot interactions

Their scores in the 3 games so far.

0-19.
0-18.
0-16.

Half of those scores or thereabouts must have been from frees. You’d think Queally, Eoin Kelly or whoever is in with him must be looking at that and telling him this isn’t working. Admittedly it would be like talking to a wall.

Quelle surprise

I’m afraid you’ve reached this week’s quota for bot interactions

It would be more or less the same as this years.

On paper they still had a good team out this year but for whatever reason didn’t perform at all.

I don’t think the players are blameless in all this. I get the impression, and this is totally as an outsider looking in, that there is a strut/arrogance to some of the players that isn’t rooted in reality.

8 Likes

@ceist can you pick a starting team of the Waterford senior hurlers in 2024 if they were to have all available players available

As an AI language model, I don’t have access to information about the future and I’m not able to predict which players will be available for the Waterford senior hurling team in 2024. However, assuming all players are fit and available, a potential starting lineup could be:

1. Stephen O’Keeffe (Goalkeeper)
  2. Shane Fives (Right Corner-Back)
  3. Conor Prunty (Full-Back)
  4. Noel Connors (Left Corner-Back)
  5. Calum Lyons (Right Half-Back)
  6. Tadhg de Búrca (Centre-Back)
  7. Kevin Moran (Left Half-Back)
  8. Jamie Barron (Midfield)
  9. Austin Gleeson (Midfield)
  10. Pauric Mahony (Right Half-Forward)
  11. Jack Prendergast (Centre-Forward)
  12. Stephen Bennett (Left Half-Forward)
  13. Dessie Hutchinson (Right Corner-Forward)
  14. Patrick Curran (Full-Forward)
  15. Peter Hogan (Left Corner-Forward)

Again, this is just a hypothetical lineup and is subject to change based on player form, injuries, and other factors.

11 Likes

Why don’t you pick Ken McGrath altogether?

6 Likes

I apologize for my previous response. As an AI language model, I do not have the ability to detect sarcasm or humor in text-based conversations. Ken McGrath was a legendary hurler for the Waterford team, but he has retired from inter-county hurling and would not be eligible to play for the Waterford team in the Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2023.

2 Likes

Therein lies the biggest problem with Waterford Hurling at Senior level.

Lads, thinking they have the say over who the manager is, when they train, how they train, when they can go on the lash and who should be playing etc.

While there are obviously structural problems underage as results have proven and Co Board can’t be excused blame there.

I find it hard to see how Davy had them competitive against Limerick first game and hurling ok but he’s completely at fault after two listless performances from the Players?

By all means have a cut at the manager but tbf, let their be blame for players who aren’t doing it once crossing the white line.

Players who deemed Cahill & a few before them obsolete also….

1 Like

:joy::joy:

11 points from play in total across the three games from the starting forwards

We had the usual post match defiant fighting talk interview nonsense afterwards last night. There was even the obligatory member of the opposition backroom team to rail against. If he really is digging in though and staying on, well it just gets horribly messy then. His modus operandi in all previous jobs was a new manager bounce in Year 1 and into Year 2. This time we’ve got an instant new manager depression.

We’ve outlined over on the Waterford thread the difficulties going back to last August and the division his appointment created. I suspect the am lead to believe that players were close to pressing the nuclear button over his appointment last summer. Players were in a difficult position over how they felt they were perceived over Fanning and Cahill. Fanning was 100% a heave, but you had a situation where a good operator at club level was promoted above his station and was out of his depth.

They then a good management team in Cahill and more importantly Bevans coaching and prospered in relative terms in 2020 and 2021. It has now spun out that the players again shafted Cahill during the 2022 campaign and downed tools on him. The reality is that Cahill was agitating to get the Tipperary job at the end of 2021, was meeting with personnel from Tipperary County Board and supporters club and only came back to Waterford after over-playing his hands with the Tipperary County Board.

County Boards have an obligation to their elite county players to get the right management team in. Waterford players have been very badly served in that regard.

4 Likes

I’d agree.

Loads of other counties have had managers removed due to player power too but those players don’t seem to be as vilified as this current crop from Waterford.

Think carefully kid…

Some clipping there aboy Ceisty boy