Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2023 (Part 1)

I wouldn’t think more than 120 Wexford supporters outside of life partners & immediate family would travel.

If there was a young lad the level of Lee Chin bursting on the scene, they’d be there. The Wexford fans have seen this team.

Kildare have had some notable results at underage. Beating Wexford in U20 chief amongst them but they’ve had a bit of a reality check in this years Joe McDonagh so far. I’d love to see an Offaly revival spearheaded by that corner-forward Screeney.

3 Likes

Thats it exactly, the slight lad isn’t he. You’d go to see him and what he might do in case you’d miss something.

Its like when Setanta burst on the scene with Cork years ago, or Canning, lads that generate buzz.

Shane O’Brien might be the guy but thats no good to anybody bar Limerick.

Who will get out of Munster???

• Limerick
  • Cork
  • Tipp
  • Clare
  • Waterford

0 voters

I have made the point ad nauseum now that the game needs a constant stream of 19/20 year olds bursting on to the scene and creating a buzz.

Nobody has done it in hurling in years and the game has suffered massively.

I dont think Screeney is that good either. Maybe Aaron Niland is the answer but i was a little underwhelmed by him in the Schools.

1 Like

Niland couldbe one.

If Limerick were in a different era, you might have seen more of English, O’Brien and especially Cathal O’Neill

Tipp badly need someone like Jake Morris to catch a bold of it, if there was a young Eoin Kelly or mercurial type like Bubbles, thered be way more hype around Tipp for all I think Jason Forde is a brilliant hurler.

2 Likes

There isnt one in Tipp currently. Certainly not between 18-22.

1 Like

In all my time watching Tipp, Ive never seen them without a marquee forward. John McGrath’s injuries very significant, Bubbles too age wise just about, it would probably be them fronting it now otherwise and you’d ave a different proposition.

I had Limerick, Cork and Tipp in my head but I’ve had a look at the fixtures and they fall kindly for Clare. Tipp and Cork in Ennis and Waterford in Thurles. 3 winnable games from their perspective.

Evan Niland is nearly 25. Does he have a younger brother coming through too?

Ya,the younger bro is supposed to be exceptional

2 Likes

Scored 1-15 out of 1-23 for Galway u17s against Kilkenny last week.

1 Like

Outside of the 06/07 minors that actually made it (Maher x3, Noel McGrath, Callanan, Cahill) there were as many more around that time who were very highly rated and didnt make it at Senior.

Joey McLoughney, John O’Neill, Pa Bourke, Timmy Dalton were all regarded as super prospects from 15 years of age onwards and their names would have been known county wide.

Thats not the case anymore. The 2018/19 U20/21 teams werent rated at all and last year’s minors wouldnt be seen as anything special either.

The game has changed beyond all recognition now though. Everyone is kind of the same. No one can score 1-06 from play now in a Harty Cup match or Inter County minor match. Even at Club level no one can score 4-10 in an Under 16 game.

1 Like

I’d say it’s largely due to the fact those players are marking their equals now.

Screeney & Niland have regularly defied that logic in the last year or two.

Tom Delaney scored 1-12 from play for your minors last year vs Waterford.

I’d love to see the cunts never win another game…

That was a one off.

The Joe Cannings, Andrew O’Shaughnessy’s, Eoin Kelly’s, Tony Kelly’s, Noel McGraths, Richie Hogan’s who were putting up big scores regularly at Club/Inter County Minor/Schools arent really around anymore.

Those lads were all playing minor for 2 or 3 years too and were well known by hurling folk around Ireland at a young age.

Your probably not allowed play minor for more than one year now.

Cork minor got 1-7 from play v Waterford.

The full forward O’Flynn, he’s excellent as his cousin at centre back.

Clare have a wing forward Collins who is excellent, Jack O’Neill prob one of their best u20s was minor last year and will play senior next year.

I do think all these lads development is stunted compared to previous generations who were thrown into it at a young age.

1 Like