Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2023 (Part 1)

Cork is not a proper Munster Hurling final venue, even Killarney would be ahead of it.

1 Like

I only recall tipp and cork playing in Killarney ? What happened there ?

I mentioned that at the time. That was a key missed chance. A decent pass and there was a goal there. I think Shane Kingston had a sniff of goal in the first half as well and took the easy option.

When you combine that with the 1-2 were chiselled out of by the ref which Joe Canning correctly pointed out, I thought Cork were worth the draw yesterday at least. The previous week I thought Clare were around 6 points a better team, but not yesterday.

I think it’ll be a much poorer rest of the championship with Cork out and Tipp in as I think Cork could have challenged at the business end in Croke Park, Tipp won’t.

1 Like

Another example here where the ref is blamed but the players mistake is much worse than the refs mistake.

What an idiotic comment :joy:

Cahalanes mistake means it ok to call a free incorrectly :grinning:

1 Like

Killarney used to get the odd hurling game especially around 1986/87. Then it just stopped.

All the following were in Killarney.

Tipp-Limerick Munster final 1971
Cork-Clare Munster final 1986
Tipp-Clare Munster semi-final replay 1987
Tipp-Cork Munster final replay 1987
Cork-Tipp 2004 qualifier

When you blow for a free like that, you need to be damn sure you are right.

In a one point game, every refereeing decision will be scrutinized and Limerick got most of the rub of the green yesterday, as they always do.

Factoring this in, you need to be 6 points better than Limerick to win by 1. The Clare game was a classic of this genre.

4 Likes

The 1937 All Ireland Hurling Final was in Killarney.

You can’t have any complaints about that call. A free in in the first half only worth a point. They all count yeah but these things happen. Even with the replay, it’s a 50/50 call so no arguments at all with that free.

I’d be more annoyed at the referee’s naivity with Gillane for the penalty. Shouldn’t have been a penalty but we had plenty time to claw the defecit back afterwards and didn’t.

1 Like

If the cork players rises the ball properly there’s no free. Soccer productions made the decision to stop analysing all the refs decisions. They’ll make mistakes the like players.

Kerry’s two delegates will vote with Cork’s three, and the one Deise will probably go that way. The Chairman from Tipp will apparently recuse himself. If Limerick are leaning towards Cork as has been suggested it’s pretty much a done deal.

You aren’t talking English to me here anyway. Why do some counties have more delegates than others ? Why would the Limerick guy vote for cork ?

No GAA man would tolerate a Munster Final between Tipp and Clare in Cork.

To be fair to Owens on the penalty, it did look from a distance that O’Donoghue was dragging out of Gillane (he did have his arm around him - now he probably wasn’t actually obstructing him while grappling but Gillane was a lot sneakier in his holding on that occasion).

There’s so much pulling and dragging off the ball now that it’s really hard to ref unless you’re right on top of it. I do think linesmen need to take a more active role in refereeing that stuff. I’m led to believe that their input is minimal for in-play decisions which seems crazy since they all have to be qualified referees at that level.

Cynical off-the-ball stuff has gone so bad in the last couple of years. Not dirty stuff, just stuff that stops the flow of a game. There is a reluctance to ref it tbh (possibly because you know it’s going to be inconsistent because there’s only so many times you’ll see it).

2 Likes

Yes, that’s why attacking players hold onto their markers, because from a distance and with two seconds maximum in which to judge, it can fool referees.

2 Likes

Gone now obviously,he’d hardly put in another winter training?

Kingston should have been called ashore early on
As for Collins :face_with_peeking_eye::face_with_peeking_eye::face_with_peeking_eye::face_with_peeking_eye::face_with_peeking_eye::face_with_peeking_eye::face_with_peeking_eye:not a great day

I’d be absolutely shocked if he doesn’t stay on next year,

1 Like

He deserves a Celtic cross
Wonder will he get a chance?

Hrs a man and a half