Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2023 (Part 1)

Semple Stadium is beyond repair or touch up jobs at this stage, the ‘New’ Stand is 43 years old and the seats are so low they are beyond uncomfortable for anyone 6ft or over, it needs a radical overhaul to be fit for purpose once again.

There must be a right heated debate underway at the Munster council as we haven’t gotten white smoke yet

It was very dangerous down there last year before the Munster Final when it was lashing rain and people wouldn’t move up to their seats

3 Likes

It probably serves a purpose for a 20k attendance max but really needs to be limited to that

1 Like

What’s the capacity of PUC again?

I got the fright of my life at an All Ireland Semi Final replay 5 or 6 years ago. Very dangerous trying to go for a piss.

If I’m sitting at that end, I’ve never gone down at Half time since and always remain in ny seat.

It’s very hard. Even more reason why you need to be sure before you award a penalty. He didn’t blow for o neills potential throw for another goal because he probably wasn’t sure in the same vein which was probably the right thing to do

Are tickets all through the clubs?

Much bigger culture of drinking before hurling games in recent years compared to ten years ago. Puts all these facilities under more pressure.

1 Like

Was that the Kilkenny v Waterford replay in 2016? That’s the last match I was at in Thurles with a biggish crowd. Even at that it was only a 30-35k crowd and it felt dangerous even at that.

1 Like

And smoking now is all under the Stand too whereas 15 years ago fellas would be flogging fags in their seats.

That was incredible Saturday evening game. One of my favourite sporting occasions.

1 Like

Started once you could by drink inside the stadium. 20 years ago a stadium would be packed solid a half hour before teams arrived on to the field

That’s the one.

An evening throw in, a lot of drinking involved. As close to a Hillsborough as I’ve ever seen.

I was at the Galway v Clare one then in 2018 too but had learnt my lesson by then and didnt venture down.

1 Like

Not sure but i think the Ticketmaster contract may oblige them to put some on general sale. There were 11,000 put on sale online for the Munster Final last year.

1 Like

When did they bring the rule you can drink inside ? It’s much more like rugby know with the social aspect to it.

I bravely went for a piss at half time in the Tipp-Limerick game last week and survived to tell the tale.

It was outstanding. A 6.45pm throw in, in mid August.

I was in the ground an hour before throw in and there was some tension in the air. My first time taking note of Takaka Rain on the tannoy.

Cody was in his pomp, but I’ve never seen a crowd be in awe of one player as much before or since like the Thurles crowd was of Austin Gleeson that night. The renowned Tipperary journalist JJ Kennedy said at the time, it was the best display he’d ever seen in the flesh.

Dunno the exact year. You can’t bring a drink to your seat but you van get one in the stadium