Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2023 (Part 1)

He gave away 6 frees last year and the commentary from analysts was that showed just how hard he was working and how many tackles he was putting in. I can’t remember who said it. I thought it was a really odd slant as they were probably all scored in a draw game.

2 Likes

But he’s a lovely fella so don’t point that out

He does seem a great fella and he’s a super player. He seems a media favourite and I thought his all star award and one of his motm (Wexford) awards were a bit spurious but he’s a smashing player to watch. One of those instantly recognisable because of his unique gait and style (cc @Cheasty). Thought that take I referenced on giving away six frees was odd though. I thought “SOD worked very hard out there today but he needs to work on his tackle technique because he gave away a lot of frees which could come back to cost his team in a tight game” would have been more appropriate, and might have fed into a fairer appraisal for all stars and such. I suppose Clare merited another all-star and he was one of the few that showed flashes after Munster.

Here comes @dodgy_keeper obsession with SOD and TK…

Lads are like sheep in a heap here. I’m not sure any other counties dominance of the hurling world has ever boiled as much piss.

It’s fucking superb

4 Likes

Really? Have you met a Cork man?

I’m led to believe Sharon Shannon is performing beforehand!

Will take a ticket if there’s one going spare, terrace would do the finest.

#BoxOffice

1 Like

Tony Kelly is the Lionel Messi of hurling. He can do it all.

1 Like

They thought they were going to become everything Limerick became

2 Likes

Sunday should be a great occasion. I think Clare will roll the dice and start Conor Cleary as they simply don’t have an alternative - aside from Shane Golden playing the first couple of league matches of Lohan’s tenure at full back, Conor has been pretty much ever present at 3 in league and championship ever since. He matches up well enough with Gillane and has shown that if the ball out the ball out the field can be pressured he can hold him. In fairness to Gillane, he can be excellent when he gets any kind of half decent ball.

If Cleary isn’t fit then you are asking Adam Hogan to go in on top of Gillane that is a big ask. He is a super prospect but that is about as tough a one on one match up you could put the chap in. I think Limerick will need goals to win this and will target them, their economy of shooting from out the field has dropped of compared to years previous and were very reliant on place balls the last day against Clare. It is hard to see Clare winning if they let Limerick outgoal them and I think Limerick will really look to target the Clare full backline with a lot more direct ball than they did in the last encounter.

Talk is that David Reidy is fit again and will return to the 26 while Patrick Crotty is also likely to force his way in and is showing well in training. We need an industrious big man off the bench to replace Duggan or one of the half forwards down the stretch - Galvin, Meehan and Shanagher are all inside men and Mounsey more a loose ball hurler.

2 Likes

If there’s a queue, put me in it too

Tricky game to call. Are Clare a better side than last year? I think so. Are Limerick a better side ? I’m not so sure.

Limerick need to be able to get their half back line on top and feed gillane. In the opening three games the half back line struggled and they seemed afraid to give long ball to gillane. That seemed to change v cork.

I wonder will Limerick look to mark Tony Kelly. He seems to always play against us recently when left free. Kilkenny and tipp got huge success when he was man marked. Limerick don’t really want to do it but it surely has to be considered.

Who do limerick have to shadow him though? I think they will do the usual where the nearest man takes him but they won’t give up defensive shape.

Without Finn limerick don’t really have that kind of man marker. Casey is probably the likeliest and he struggled on Jake Morris as a corner back.

1 Like

Wexford had him shackled for 60 minutes last year too

If you stop Tony Kelly I think you gone a long way to beating to Clare.

I agree Limerick dont have that sort of man marker who could follow him but I do think it has to be considered.

Yep Limerick let him have that free roll he thrives in. Very little between the two sides in the last three games in championship.

I wonder will Limerick move to a two man full forward line and possibly allow Tom Morrissey track back and pick up Kelly when he drops further out the field.

Keep gillane and Flanagan close to the goal.

You could see Peter Casey losing out in this scenario.

Pretty much do that already