Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2023 (Part 1)

Ya true enough It was more pronounced the last day or maybe it just seemed happier to go direct quicker.

Was nearly impossible to stop in past seasons when ball got in there. Look at the AI against cork for the amount of scores gotten by gillane/Flannigan running away from goal, towards sideline and banging them back over their shoulder.

Clare were the first I thought showed the way to nullifying that was cut off the supply. They tore into our halfback line, contested a lot of ball and made sure they’d little time to.play the pass into the two lads.

1 Like

There’s a very real possibility that Clare could beat Limerick twice in Munster and still be faced with the appalling vista of Limerick coming back to win the All-Ireland. By all accounts in 1997 Ger Loughnane had the Clare lads driven demented at the thought of beating Tipp in Munster only to lose to them in the All-Ireland. That feeling is magnified in the current system where you may have to oust the same team on 3 (three) occasions.

The Leinster Final on Sunday is significant too in the sense that the loser will be faced with a 50/50 chance of bowing out in the Quarters against Tipp. Derek Lyng and Liam Cahill’s first seasons would hinge on that game. A semi-final would be a decent return for Cahill. If Shefflin finds himself beaten in another Leinster Final and out in the quarters to Tipp then questions start to surface about how much progress (if any) Galway have made under his tutelage. The beaten Munster finalists have the relative safety net of knowing that they should have too much for Dublin.

1 Like

Clare by 4. Limerick to finish with 13/14 men.

It will come as surprising news to Clare people that they lost the 1997 AI final to Tipp.

1 Like

Ah thats a dinger.

Read that again there mate. Where did I say they lost the 1997 All-Ireland Final?

We’ll be going 12-0 next Sunday.

They did some job alright restricting Shan Flan to just the 8 (eight) from play in the Munster Final.

Im talking about this year’s Munster championship match.

I was very impressed with yer u20 full back, is he on the panel or extended panel?

John Conneally, a fine bit of stuff. I think he will make the senior 26 before the season is over. There is a good scelp of the 20s on the extended panel

Hogan obviously, Crotty, Conneally, Oran Cahill, Keith Smyth, Oisín O’Donnell and I think Ian McNamara are all with the seniors since the start of the year.

Ya he stood out to me v Cork. Obviously a huge step up.

Crotty prob the most likely to play??

Yeah, simply because we don’t really have too many big industrious lads on the bench to cover 8 to 12. He has shown well in training and I don’t think the lads on the tail end of the 26 like Aaron Fitz or Jack Kirwin are capable of holding off Crotty or Conneally based off their under 20s form

Jp at the wheel, advantage Limerick.

1 Like

He was going very well up to this point…

There was always more at stake for Clare but they also let Limerick know – which they showed again in the subsequent Munster final, and in the round robin match in April - that they can’t overpower or physically dominate Clare like they can other teams.

That meeting wasn’t a classic in the purest sense but there are many forms of beauty and the honesty, integrity, intensity, relentlessness and absolute manliness all over the field transformed it into a modern epic.

Honesty, integrity and absolute manliness wasn’t on show when Aaron Fitzgerald flopped over in a deliberate and concerted effort to get Hegarty sent off, or when the others went squealing to the linesman and referee for a red card.

Christy doesn’t write about that though.

Seamie Flanagan destroying Rory Hayes with eight (8) points from play with only 12.1 seconds of possession for those scores is off the charts though. Rory wasn’t sniggering at him after that.

1 Like

Clare better be ready for several air strikes early Sunday afternoon. Limerick will be going early and direct to Gillane and Flanagan and Lohan will think again about following our half forward line out the field.

Clare have faced a below par limerick in last few encounters. Limerick at their ceiling will be too powerful for them and the game will be won in the trenches.

Clare would really sicken you the way they think they should be competing with Limerick. They are threading on thin ice with a shallow panel. One injury away from a very limited half back line

1 Like