Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2024…part 2

Did the lads enjoy the game yesterday?

2 Likes

The women in my house are staunch yet typical Limerick fans…they will be fully committed if ye win the semi final…iv a good hold of the young fella yet

2 Likes

@Perez2017 gone awfully quite.

I didn’t need to, the last angle showed everything perfectly.

Big Rob also featuring in Croke Park this season

A lot of em are very quiet.

RTE will prioritise the European Soccer Championships over the hurling semi finals. The TV schedule for Euro 2024 has been tied down for at least 3 years now.

Two years ago, RTE switched the Cork v Galway quarter final to the graveyard slot of a lunch time Saturday throw in as a Northern Transvaal v West Province, Currie Cup match had the prime 5pm Saturday television slot.

When a hobby/passtime like hurling and Gaelic football ceded the position it had for the business end of the championships in August and September at a relatively quiet time of the sporting year to go down the split season route, you have to take whatever tv slots you get.

There must be a cohort of players who’ve played in 6 Munster finals, 5 all Ireland finals and 3 league finals and won them all.

Kyle anyway and gillane. Tom Morrissey too. Possibly Dan Morrissey.

Nickie is the obvious one shur

Nicky lost the 2014 Munster final.

A couple of them have perfect records. 14/14.

Byrnes?

Ya I’d say you’re right.

1 Like

I used to feel the criticism of Lohan was overly harsh aside from the tactical brainlessness of last year’s SF v KK. However, yesterday was another serious disappointment from the Clare sideline.

I have no idea how Darragh Lohan lasted as long as he did, likewise Aidan McCarthy. Similarly, Reidy coming on so late was bizarre.

However, this ‘depth’ that Clare built over the league has proven to be a total false dawn. What genuine replacement options, Reidy aside, did Lohan have to really inject something into Clare?

Having said that, I wouldn’t write off Clare by any means. Kilkenny were impressive on Saturday but I would still give Clare a better chance against Limerick in an AIF.

1 Like

An awful lot will depend on how Clare deal with this defeat. Joe Canning was playing to the audience a little when he said that Clare should take some solace when they look back at the missed goal chances. However being at the game, it was kind of obvious that Limerick had at least one more and possibly two gears in them if they needed it. The harsh reality is that once hegarty goaled there was only going to be one winner. Clare need to address their last 20 minutes. Truth be told they’ve been abysmal during that period all year including the league final. While they’re certainly not dead and doubt will remain about Wexfords ability to take advantage of that weakness, unless Clare are well ahead going into the last quarter, they could well leave themselves vulnerable again. I’m not sure if Lohan has grasped that yet. If he has then you’d give them a shot. If not Wexford could well turn em over

To be fair, I think some of the depth they developed was just in the wrong positions yesterday.

Leen would have been seen as a new option, he ended up starting ahead of Hayes. But a corner-back isn’t changing any game.

Cian Galvin another; as of this year, a viable option but in the half-back line. A solid player who did a job in the absence of McInerney but not going to change a game.

David Reidy & Ian Galvin aren’t new players but are grand for what they are. Reidy was probably unlucky not to start and is less of an impact player.

They didn’t really develop new forward options, I don’t think. The one that looked alright was Keith Smyth and he’s injured. Would still probably question whether he was ready for that kind of environment yesterday. Meehan hasn’t really kicked on which must be disappointing, I think he has loads of ability.

They needed another box to box midfielder and a goalkeeper.

Sean Rynne can be the midfielder but is still u20, he must be injured or simply they feel he isn’t ready.

Sheedy is an elite keeper but only u18 this year, I’d reckon he starts next year. Still think Foudy is better than quiligan but Lohan didn’t show loyalty to him after his errors v Tipp.

Freetaking is a separate entity, Rodger’s is the best they have.

Lads keep saying Ryan Taylor is a big loss to Clare? Was he that good?

I am not too convinced on Cathal Malone or Aidan Mccarthy and think Shane Meehan\Aron Shanagher are under utilised

I dunno were they surprised by the strength of the wind in the first half.

They hit everything long from puck outs but then played around a little in the backs when they turned over Limerick and allowed Limerick to drop deep again.

A very bad tactic.

Cork coughed up goals v Limerick from short puck outs but you have to vary it against Limerick. If you just go long and keep going long every time Limerick will figure it out.

1 Like

Donie O’Connell wasn’t even playing in that game bud. Joe Hayes did do a rollover after scoring his goal alright.

1 Like

I was chancing my arm with Donie! The bould Joe I remember well