Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2024…part 2

We beat them comfortably enough in 2020 as well

Kilkenny dismantled them.

Kilkenny have played 4 knock out games against Limerick since 2018. Granted Kilkenny were overrun in second half of the final last year and lost by 9 after leading at half time, but aside from that half have gone toe to toe with Limerick every other time. The 2022 All Ireland Final went to the wire with Limerick winning by just 2. Kilkenny beat Limerick in 2019 semi final and 2018 quarter final also went to the wire with Limerick winning by 2.

Actually, Kilkenny also knocked Limerick out of the championship in 2017 qualifier. So across 10 halves of knock out Championship hurling since 2017, Kilkenny have gone toe to toe with Limerick in 9 of the 10 halves and knocked Limerick out of the championship twice.

Kilkenny have been more troublesome for Limerick than Clare.

3 Likes

You’re right, 10 points if I look at the score now, I don’t remember that game being that one-sided.

Was just referring to matches vs Limerick.

1 Like

It was death by a thousand cuts that day. It doubled up as a league final due to the Covid. Limerick just kept them at bay IIRC limerick were never lead that day

Limerick are invariably wrecked after the Munster championship just like Clare.

20 and 21 are more better indicators when it was a fair fight.

Kk couldn’t beat Waterford or cork. Limerick steamrolled the championship.

Makes sense though. All the games you’re talking about were either knock out or finals. If you can’t raise your game for a knockout, you’re at nothing

2022 didn’t really go to the wire. We eased to five points up and let them get a few consolation scores in injury time.

7 Likes

A few minute ago you were saying round robin games were fairly meaningless. Now you are saying that when Kilkenny faced Limerick in a knock out game, the All Ireland Final, it wasn’t a fair fight as Limerick were wrecked from these fairly meaningless round robin games……

1 Like

Well you don’t get any trophies for them. Also you could have a scenario like this year where cork had to win and Limerick didn’t.

You’re also stretching and a long way. I don’t see anything before 21 as being relevant. Particularly with Lohan and lyng not being charge.

Any proper games Limerick were ran close in recent years Cian Lynch was out. With a fully fit and in form Cian Lynch Limerick have been ten points better than anyone.

1 Like

Fact, towards the end they moved Kyle Hayes from 11 to back on the square in front of Quaid to ensure no goal was scored which KK needed. That match was never in doubt all the way through

Kilkennys 22 performance was like a Rory mcilroy back door top ten in a major

1 Like

They did the same against Galway in the semi that year

1 Like

https://twitter.com/mlverney/status/1800996232380158274?s=46

That league was 2016 I presume? 2014 was a rare blip on his CV when Davy reined in his control by all accounts. He stepped away for the 2015 season before returning to Clare again in 16’.

1 Like

Didn’t ye beat them in 2014? Podge Collins got sent off in the previous game and then davy tried to bring him on in extra time

Yeah Clare had a disappointing 2014. Defeats to Cork and Wexford. They were better in 2016 and really looked the part when dismantling Kilkenny in a league semi-final but they reverted to type for championship and bowed out tamely enough in the quarters against Galway. Davy had a heart scare a few days before it.

I was at euro 2016 this time eight years ago. Time is flying.

3 Likes