Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2024

What i got from it is there will be more people in Supervalue park for cork and Limerick than the total attendance for all of the Connacht football championship. The football competition structure is a disaster

Munster is booming because it’s Clare and Limerick doing well.

The gaa seem to be fixing a lot of Puc games for Saturday evenings which will attract a big home crowd plus the novelty of the new stadium.

Crowds in Munster have come at a cost.

1 Like

I appreciate the difficulties some people have with gaa go, especially older people or bad connection, but it’s been fine for us thankfully.
The female presenter is very good and Richie hogan and bubbles are very knowledgeable pundits
Tbh I would dread if tg4 got championship games. Between 95% of viewers not understanding the language and rolling out the likes of pat fleury for the last 25 years. Give me gaa go any day.
Obviously we’d all prefer if these games were free to air on rté.

2 Likes

The Munster Football Final was all but a sell out at the weekend. The Connacht football final had a cracking finish. Ulster will be mouth watering.

Where’s the issue? Of yeah, the elephant

They should just put it on a channel on the skybox as well and then all would be good re broadband issues.

That’s all well and good but any sports that go behind a paywall the interest tends to fall off a cliff.

There will be noticeable exceptions alright but it’s risky business for a game like hurling.

Limerick you could nearly argue would be as well off losing on Saturday to keep all teams in the competition going into the final two weekends and make sure nobody has anything easy.

It’s essentially a Munster semi final v Waterford, Munster final, all Ireland semi final and hopefully an all Ireland final.

Nicely spaced games as well.

Hurling is not behind a paywall.

1 Like

I’ll keep banging that drum. It’s totally absurd that you can watch all your county’s U17 football games on an online platform but many senior championship fixtures aren’t available at all.

Whether you agree with an online platform being given exclusive rights to championship fixtures or not, I think the point is that county boards should be able to stream the games that aren’t part of the RTE/GoGo deal.

Just have a rule that they can’t clash with the times the rights’ holders have games. Fucking hell - it’s not that difficult to designate times at the outset of the championship for RTE/GoGo/Other.

3 Likes

Let county boards stream games that are not on tv.
Set it up that you can only pay with cryptocurrency only and to activate the stream you need your phone to scan your eye, and again to start the second half… A nice easy system.

Alternatively, get those Meta glasses and make every game virtual.

2 Likes

There’s a mountain of games on most weekends in April and May.

The GAA should be insisting that there are four live games on free to air tv those weekends.

Saturday - 5pm
Saturday - 7pm

Sunday - 2pm
Sunday - 4pm.

If there’s a clash on Saturday with other sports then stick the GAA on RTE News Now or TG4 (personally think TG4 should be rewarded with a few live championship games every year as a reward for the unglamorous matches they show the rest of the year). Have your set times for when matches are on, like Sky/TNT do with the Premier League. 12.30 on Saturday, 5.30pm on Saturday, 2pm and 4.30pm on Sunday.

The scheduling by RTE and the GAA is just mental and almost an act of self sabotage. Sticking some of their best games behind a pay wall while also sticking the AI hurling QF’s on a Saturday at awful times.

3 Likes

Not being able to understand the commentators is one of the main advantages of TG4

3 Likes

Tom Dempsey was very strong on it today in the indo. Saying urc and loi matches with 6 or 7 k attendance being televised while cork limerick which will have 40k behind a paywall.

2 Likes

Contracts could be signed pre split season.

Gaa can do very little about it imo.

If you want the split season and round robins your inter county games will be clashing with rugby and soccer.

There won’t be a thing on in June to September when the gaa traditionally ruled the roost.

In fairness they are showing more club games from the earlier rounds too don’t forget.

Who the fuck asked his opinion :joy:

It’s absolutely gas when you think about it…RTÉ will show Doon-Patrickswell live on national television but turn down Cork-Limerick in the Munster Senior Hurling Championship.

14 Likes

If you buy the GaaGo package then it’s extremely easy to view matches.

Better value too

I was below with my local publican earlier and he’s in a bit of a hoop.

He had been showing a few games on the dodgy box, but it froze a few times during Waterford/Tipp last weekend with the result that he was looking to purchase the Cork-Limerick game to avoid a possible riot next Saturday.

I’m convinced that his issue is that his WiFi is poor and that it wouldn’t make much difference how he’s showing it if that’s the case. GAAGo looking for 300 quid for a commercial subscription. Surely he can buy it for 12 notes as the pub is his residence?

Wifi and match day numbers

This was also discussed.

I pointed out that every punter in the pub has his Wifi password and are all sucking out of a weak enough service. I reckon the solution is to change the password temporarily, let them watch the game and forget their phones and the job might be oxo?

8 Likes