Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2024

Nicky quaid is a better keeper than Murphy

Don’t see how darragh Fitz is overrated. 4 points from play against waterford, 2 v clare. Think he got 4 or 5 v lím Last year.

No Hego , no party

Pat Horgan is doing that type of role for Cork without the off the ball selfless stuff, drifting between the 14 and 40 looking for the second ball or break. He is relatively effective at it too.

The likes of Conor Boylan or either of the David Reidy’s would improve the cork forward line no end, despite Cork having lads every bit or even more talented. They really miss a bit of self less running and a link man who will feed the inside men. The balance of the team just seems off.

1 Like

Quaid is a great keeper. Really organised, fine shot stopper, great at puck outs. Definitely best keeper over last 5/6 years in country. But the bar isn’t as high for keepers. We’d a real golden age of the keeper over a 20 year period with your Brendan Cummins, Davy Fitzs, Damien Fitzhenrys and peak-era (c. 2014) Eoin Murphy was up there with the best.

1 Like

I don’t know if i say it enough. But i love you guys…

cc @StoneCold

1 Like

Byrnes and Hegarty over Maher & McGrath, 2 HOTYs there. Fuck Tipp. Fellas still picking Murphy who couldn’t place a puckout to save his life over Quaid oh dear. That’s all il say on it as these things are a waste of time and energy.

I’ve no idea how you managed to shoehorn five tipp players in there.

I felt terrible leaving the Bonner Maher, Bubbles and Lar out.

Some of it would depend on who is picking the team. Like, if you are giving Kiely the pick of those players from KK & Tipp to add to his 2024 panel; there is no way he doesn’t pick Nash at 4. I’d say he’d have him over any of the other Limerick backs tbh. Whereas, if you’re letting Sheedy or Cody pick the team, maybe they don’t do that.

But again, the argument was that the game has moved on. Nobody plays corner-forwards standing in the corner anymore; pretty much everyone plays 2 inside, so you will generally have one corner-back playing between the lines. Maybe you let JJ do that and let Finn & Barrett sit at home.

Having said that, I don’t think there is anybody involved in intercounty management that doesn’t pick Quaid in goals. Maybe he will need to retire before people realise how good he is; he has elevated the position. Remember, it was Gleeson that won the All Star in 2014, he was really good but Quaid is pretty much just a better version.

Also, I’d say you’d have to have Richie Hogan in there, that was peak Hogan. Michael Fennelly was playing wing-forward by 2014 and wasn’t quite as good as he was. And Noel McGrath isn’t a wing-forward, I don’t think. Maybe at 11 but more likely the roving corner-forward role that he played that year.

2 Likes

I suppose if you’re basing it on 2014 form v 2024 form, I’d probably go Bubbles over a previous HOTY in Lar (or Shefflin for that matter). But I think it’s hard for him to make a full forward line already so stacked.

Imagine a half forward line with both Cian Lynch and Noel McGrath? Be the closest thing hurling came to peak era Barca.

1 Like

Even from his own

Meant to put Richie Hogan in and completely forgot to go back and find a spot for him. He’d slot in there ahead of Michael Fennelly as you’ve suggested. Maybe move Cian Lynch to midfield then.

You’d have JJ for Morrissey and Callanan for Flanagan, and TJ Reid for Morrissey, that’s an easy start. Then probably one of Noel McGrath or Richie Hogan for Peter Casey. You could make a case for Fennelly or Brendan Maher for WOD and DOD respectively.

That’s about it.

After looking up when Tommy Walsh retired, I have no issues with this team

He’d be great in the Peter Casey role.

1 Like

Yeah Tommy lost his spot in 2014. Was still on the panel though. They had to go over to his house to convince him to go on the Monday Club if I remember correctly.

2 Likes

We didn’t grow up thinking like that! Old habits etc.

1 Like

After over six years following the best team in the history of the game they’re still terrified to show confidence pre game against Cork in case it miraculously goes horribly wrong for them :grinning:

It’s all about respecting your opponent. A one score win will be absolutely fine.