Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2024

In the good ole days, I knew a lad who would start championship games with his “throw in hurley” which was anything he wanted to wear off someone and have a fella on the sideline ready to run in with his hurley. The flaking at the throw in used to be great craic. A broken hurley would be seen as a victory

2 Likes

Tony Browne and Colin Lynch like this post.

Mike Houlihan was a great man for it. Hurley over the head like a golf swing

1 Like

This cunt will latch onto anything if he thinks the wind is blowing the right way for him.

3 Likes

It’s ridiculous, in a condensed season, not to have games on Saturday evenings readily available on TV.

To be fair to the GAA, the model is probably the right one in the sense that’s where sport is going, but they are too early with it. GAA too far ahead of the curve as usual.

1 Like

It’s crazy but that fella would say it’s the right thing to do if that’s what his briefing notes said. Probably for another thread.

Once all the auld lads up in mountains without broadband die off this model will be suitable

Great chance for Cork tomorrow evening, Limerick won’t be at the same kilter and Cork have to do it.

The Pairc is a great spot to watch a match now, the North stand a grand spot unlike the old uncovered stand.

I’v always loved going to the Pairc since my first visit in 1983, a few tough days there but great days also. Two great wins there in 96, two great days in 01 also and we’ve made lots of hay there in recent times.

The genuine Cork hurling support are the solid finest.

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/m_brosnan/status/1788915758707208663?s=46&t=yRtB8lhW_RucCjdm3dqcBw

1 Like

I’ve been posting here for a fair bit at this stage and I’m fairly certain the vast majority would say that I am happy enough to engage in debate with anyone who actually brings an argument to the table.

I’ve never really noticed your posts much before, but from a quick flick a couple of your posts there, I think there’s some gall from you to be accusing others of playing the man :joy: you seem to sidestep all genuine attempts at arguments, attempt to rally for cheap dismissals of posters and love the bordering on libellous comments.

I’m more than happy to discuss sport with people making an actual point but I’m not going to engage with buffoons, what would be the point.

14 Likes

You’ve done well to only notice them recently!

There does seem to be a cynical enough agenda conflating multiple issues into one (driven by RTE personalities, possibly).

Obviously RTE and particularly those coining it in via punditry as well as intercounty managements benefit from the season being stretched out as long as possible and would love to return to the 10-month long intercounty season.

The round robin is a separate issue to the split season and the GAAGo issues falls more in that bracket than anything. There are obviously way more Championship games nowadays than there used to be and there is no way to show them all on terrestrial television, unless RTE are willing to show them on other channels, including TG4. I’m not sure what the story is in that regard but that’s in RTE’s court (they obviously own 50% of GAAGo).

The only way to be sure that RTE shows all the big matches is to have less matches. Go back to the old hurling system, get rid of the round robin in both hurling & football. There will be way less matches but it’ll be possible to show the vast majority of them. The main issue with that is that the round robins in hurling have actually been a huge success, particularly in Munster. The Munster Championship had lost a lot of its impact between 2002 & 2017. Obviously if you got to a Munster Final, teams went all out to win it but nobody was overly bothered about getting knocked out early and there was a perceived disadvantage about having to wait such a long time for an All Ireland semi-final (although, in reality, the main disadvantage was probably that Kilkenny were just better than them).

So the round robin has saved the hurling provincials but possibly has killed the football ones. Having said that, Munster & Leinster have been fairly non-competitive for a while. I just can’t comprehend why they’ve decided to do a 3 teams from 4 progress from the football round robin, it’s mental. A load of meaningless games; at least if it was 2 from 4, there’d be some element of precariousness for the bigger teams. That’s just self-sabotage from whoever came up with that format.

I do feel like the paywall is less of an issue than ease of access (if it was up to me, it would all be free-to-air but I’m not in charge of RTE). People got over Sky in the end despite a bit of whinging initially. The GAA need to do something to make GAAGo available as a channel on TV and I feel like that would do a lot to quell the immediate problem.

Trying to somehow link this agenda in to fuck over club players is cynical & needs to be called out.

5 Likes

Racing tv created an Irish racing tv for one day only on St Stephen’s Day a few years back.

It must be very cheap if racing tv could afford to do it and very simple as well because it was only for one day.

I think the biggest issue particularly in hurling is most people used to actually follow the whole championship which is actually what made it great fun.

Now people can barely follow their own counties there’s so many games and bizarrely at the same time too.

When your team is shite you just end up not following it at all.

That’s what happens. By all Ireland quarter finals most people have tuned out. Attendances and general interest falls off a cliff.

The most certain of certainties

Why is the capacity of the most modern GAA stadium there is reduced by 3K for this game?

Apparently, something to do with the fire safety officer’s report after the Liam Miller/Munster games.

1 Like

The Limerick yerraing is impressive. They’re after getting quite good at it with recent practice.

I don’t know mate. Going to be a massive vocal Cork crowd there tomorrow. Very large Limerick crowd travelling down too. Its big stuff. 7pm throw in, will be plenty of young and aul lads with plenty of cider taken by that hour. The place will be rocking.

Its knockout hurling for ye, in front of yer own, sweltering heat as well, why bother train all year to not turn up tomorrow from a Cork perspective. They have to and I’m expecting a massive performance.

End of the day, there was only a puck of a ball in it last year in the Gaelic grounds. Limerick were lucky to get out with a win that day. It drove us on of course then. All about a bit of momentum.

4 Likes

The Analysis Show on GAA GO’s YouTube is a good watch

1 Like