Munster Senior Hurling Championship 2024

2004 was ‘only’ a qualifier but it was a great day, Timmy Mac gave an exhibition from the bench having been pilloried beforehand

87 was one of the great occasions

3 Likes

That’d be absolute bullshit altogether in fairness.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s the worst idea but they should definitely do something around the all Ireland weekend.

The 7s used to add to it.

The retailers and publicans of Killarney would probably be sick to their stomachs to see thousands of miserable Tipperary cunts coming down, they would be hoping for a crowd who will actually spend a few bob.

The owner of the county in the square in thurles told me he loves seeing limerick and cork come down. The rest don’t spend a bob

2 Likes

My old lad wouldn’t let me go with him. In fairness, I was only five! I had made the drawn game!

Dragging people to casement would be nonsense. Agree on the AI.

I meant turning the Munster final into a weekend type thing.

Fair enough. Taking it out of Munster would be nonsense.

There are enough big stadiums in Munster without trying to justify Killarney as well. The Yerrahs can get their act together at spud hockey if they want big crowds.

You can fuck off bringing the Munster Final up north as well. Imagine the Ulster Final in Thurles, it would be sacrilege.

1 Like

They’d one in Dublin tbf

At least the Duds would have some respect for football

Stop will ya. We’d enough trouble finding Croke Park after all those years.

1 Like

Lads are getting carried away here.

3 Likes

Imagine trying to get the Clare fans to go to a Munster final in Casement Park.

3 Likes

There was plenty chances to go up north when limerick were in 1b and no fucker ever went. Occasion me bollicks. Thurles is still the best venue for Munster games

1 Like

A trail of broken down Toyota Corollas from Loughrea to Ballinasloe.

Like every day.

Páirc Uí Chaoimh could host 2024 Munster SHC final

Along with FBD Semple Stadium and TUS Gaelic Grounds, the Cork venue will stage the decider every third year irrespective of the finalists should one of four options be backed by delegates next week.

Páirc Uí Chaoimh could host next year’s Munster senior hurling final if a proposed rota of venues is supported next week.

Along with FBD Semple Stadium and TUS Gaelic Grounds, the Cork venue will stage the decider every third year irrespective of the finalists should one of four options be backed by delegates.

As TUS Gaelic Grounds held this year’s Munster SHC final between Clare and Limerick, either Páirc Uí Chaoimh or Thurles would be in line for the final in 2024 with the other pencilled in for ’25 and a possible Saturday evening staging before the game returns to Limerick.

Provincial runners-up the last two years, Clare have already articulated their opposition to the proposal as well as another option, which would involve a rota of the Gaelic Grounds, Páirc Uí Chaoimh and Semple Stadium when either or both Clare and Waterford reach the final.

Should any two of Cork, Limerick and Tipperary earn final berths, their existing home-away arrangements would kick in.

Retaining the status quo, in which Cork, Limerick and Tipperary take turns between themselves when they make the deciders and a neutral venue is fixed for finals involving Clare and/or Waterford is also not to Clare’s favour.

What The Banner are calling for is in the event they and/or Waterford qualify for the final a specific venue or a rota between two venues is agreed. Playing in Cork would appear to be agreeable to them were they and Waterford to finish in the top two after the round-robin stage.

This year Clare proposed facing Limerick in the Gaelic Grounds having initially supported Thurles where the corresponding game between the counties was played in 2022.

They did so when the Munster Council’s competitions control committee were set to arrange the final for Páirc Uí Chaoimh where Limerick were also happy to play.

At this stage, it seems the establishment of a rota for finals when one or both of Clare and Waterford make the final is the preferred option of the province. Waterford’s management committee will meet next week to decide which way they will vote.

Kerry, who are currently playing in the Joe McDonagh Cup but will qualify for Munster should they win the second tier championship, are entitled to vote and are fully expected to do so. Fitzgerald Stadium has not held a SHC final since the Tipperary-Cork 1987 replay.

The vote was due to take place last month but postponed due to delegate unavailability. The idea about confirming final venues well in advance centres around the logistical certainty it provides fixture makers as well ensuring the matches are spread evenly around the province’s three largest hurling grounds in Cork, Limerick and Thurles.

The last Cork-Limerick final in 2014 took place in Páirc Uí Chaoimh and the previous Cork-Tipperary decider was in Semple Stadium in ’06. Notwithstanding their 2021 meeting when games were held at neutral venues, the last Limerick-Tipperary Munster final under the home-away agreement was in the Gaelic Grounds in 2019.

bord gais what GIF by Bord Gáis Energy

4 Likes