The chip on their shoulder will drive them on

2 Likes

Will they have Shane o donnell back ??

Theyā€™d have won nothing without it.

1 Like

Jackie Tyrell got lambasted for talking about angles and formulas

The Sunday game is now explaining geometry and Pythagoras Theorem

They need a real chip Ok

Iā€™ll have to login to Clarehurlers to have a proper dining experience, they must be gone buck-ape over there.

Licking Jackie Chan GIF

2 Likes

Hurley in over the Cork mans shoulder. Clare got a Penalty & players sin binned v Waterford for same tackle.

Tangle of legs :rollseyes:

regardless of the foul the rule states a goalscoring opportunity - it was a free - that isnā€™t in dispute, whether or not it was a clear goalscoring opportunity and a penalty and sin bin is what the debate is

Heā€™d have had a shooting opportunity but itā€™d have been at speed and he was still 21 yards from goal, hereā€™s a screen grab

Most likely would have passed it off to the other forward on the right, then itā€™s a great opportunity

1 Like

any foul inside the area is a penalty, sin bin and yellow so - everything is a potential goal scoring opportunity when a man is in possession from there, regardless of whether it is deliberate or cynical as long as it is reffed consistently there shouldnā€™t be a problem, other than thereā€™ll be situations where itā€™ll 13 v 15 or 12 v 14 etc.

Possible further cynicism that will be a direct consequence of this

lads diving looking for the reward
the half back line just fouling outside the area, rather than let a man run in and risk it
even more fouling in the forwards to prevent the ball going in

That is pretty much Fergal Horganā€™s view.

1 Like

I think he is right in his interpretation of it. Hopefully to fuck this is binned without doing too much damage

Horgan has not penalised far more obvious scoring opportunity fouls since the rule came in though.

Thereā€™s lads here and elsewhere behind the printers wronging poor owld James Owens.

I have a great Gra for Clare but have noticed a tendency for boos amongst their hurling support at matches. There were regular boos anytime a call went against them in the U21 All-Ireland final which they won against Wexford in 2014. Same again at full-time on Sunday. Not something Iā€™d have noticed very often in hurling otherwise.

Must also be noted that they have been at the receiving end of controversial calls on a number of occasions over the years, most notably in 1998.

What happened in 1998?

1 Like

What didnā€™t happen in 1998! It was a mighty sound gesture to offer Offaly the 2nd replay while being misled over the upholding of Colin Lynchā€™s ban.

The best in the business sums it up lovely here tbf,

ā€œ So in my opinion, if the corner forward is capable of rounding his man at any stage inside the 20-metre line and he can lose his marker, at the level weā€™re operating at, any corner forward, the calibre of player you are dealing with nowadays, the TJ Reids, the Joe Cannings, the Aaron Gillanes, all these men are capable of scoring.

ā€œIf they can swing their hurley anywhere inside the 20-metre line, these boys are capable of putting the ball in the back of the net.

ā€œSo the question Iā€™d ask is: if the defender doesnā€™t feel heā€™s under pressure, why would he pull him down inside the 20-metre line?

ā€œAnd in my opinion if the player is going inside the man and heā€™s pulled down inside that 20 metre line deliberately, in my opinion itā€™s a penalty and a sin bin and thatā€™s clear cut.ā€

Put simply imo, Lohan and his back room staff hadnā€™t their players properly aware of the rule or the possibilities if they cynically fouled an opponent inside the 20 yard line.

Lohan, meanwhile had no problem whatsoever cutting the back of James Owens.

Look, itā€™s a silly enough rule. Straight red cards for cynical fouls like McCarthys would in a far more simpler way warn defenders off that action.

Iā€™ve been generally impressed with how Lohan has handled himself and got on with the job, especially considering all the background bullshit in Clare. But I thought there was a little naivety in him and his players, especially during the sin bin period. They fell apart.