Munster SHC 2021

Couple of quick questions to ye knowledgable persons.

Why was Gillane dropped?
Why was Jason Forde so quiet in the second half?

Eamon O’Shea is an absolute class act. Any county would be delighted to have him as a native.

11 Likes

A quick guess would suggest the following.
Gillane was utter dog shit since the start of the season and just wasn’t putting in the work. He needed a poke.

As regards Ford, theres probably a couple of different reasons. In fairness to him he worked his bollox off for the first half so he obviously tired significantly. Secondly Limerick changed the way the supplied their forwards after Gillane went in. They then upped their work rate which made it very hard for Ford to read where the ball was going and also the Tipo backs were under so much pressure it was more get it out of there rather then measured clearenced

1 Like

Gillane didn’t deserve to start based on his performances in 2021; he was sluggish against Cork, and hadn’t impressed enough in training. The full-forward line is one line where we have 4 quality options so there is no need to carry an underperforming player.

Forde did wreck in the first half because he was drifting into space and picking up loose ball, without a hand being laid on him. That space didn’t exist in the second half, Limerick imposed way more pressure. They were first to the breaks on the long puckouts (which wasn’t happening first half) and pressed way more cohesively on the short puckouts; there was no outlet to the likes of Forde.

3 Likes

Thanks for both of the above.

I was thinking the only way to beat Limerick is to figure pout how Tipp imploded with no obvious reason. The old KK way of killing teams was hit over a few points and then hit them for a goal. Limerick certainly did that. I didn’t see the positional changes mentioned in articles. Perhaps the midfield lay back a bit deeper but that was it.

We’ll put it down to sheer work rate and fitness.

I also think that Limerick at least tried to pace themselves a little bit better. Now I doubt very much the plan was to be 10 points down at half time. But I would have no doubt, they made sure they had plenty of juice left in the tank to up the anti significantly.
10 degrees cooler and a bit of an overcast day, you would have had a completely different game and if Tipp had gone in 10 points to the good under those conditions, they would have made a way better fist of holding on to that lead and I dare say probably would have been victorious.

2 Likes

He is. I exchanged a few words with him in The Horse & Jockey after the National League final in 2014 (I think it was). Kilkenny had beaten Tipperary that day and he was having a meal with what I assumed was his family. No players present. A very pleasant, amiable man.

Moral silverware

We wish him well. Cork are traditionally a great hurling county.

“First time he didn’t need to smack it off the ground the second time he was just taking the piss, he’s a sick animal of a freak” - Paddy Stapleton on Kyle Hayes

I was thinking that. He prefers to hop it off the ground than use a catch and take it into his hand. Completely unnecessary :joy:

2 Likes

Was that meant to be some kind of back handed compliment or insult? You could take either way depending on which side you get out of the bed

It was a compliment, said he was probably best overall hurler in Ireland. He was on Woolies Podcast.

2 Likes

The beautiful surface in Cork helped.

Maybe the second one was unnecessary but he had already used two catches at the time of the first one; it was the first time since starting the run that he had open space so it was a great time to get an extra catch.

There was probably no need for the second one in the end, but again, he may have presumed that he was going to have to break another tackle before shooting, so good to get another catch in. As it ended up, he shot before anybody tackled him but usually a defender would come to you (and there were defenders there).

1 Like

Apparently they bought into it 100%

He had the hurley inside out, upside down and back to front

3 Likes

And a sliotar that’s like a tennis ball these days.

1 Like

Well that’s it exactly. He was heading for hells kitchen so to speak and he had only one thing on his mind, a goal. So it’s always better having that extra catch heading towards goal.

I used always coach to take your four step heading out of a tackle, not heading into one.

1 Like

Ah he was only taking the piss out of them

2 Likes