National Hockey League 2018-19

I look forward to the scottys update

1 Like

Well considering the bills have gone to shit again, the sabres may provide a ray of light

Is say the sabres are delighted. Have you been to a game? Huge hockey town supposedly

jaysus @maroonandwhite has come alive here with the NHL.

Great to see someone passionate about something and actually being informative when asked questions, on here.

Fair play kid.

1 Like

It’s fitting seeing as A Gort man brought hockey to Canada in the first place.

now you say it, I think I remember seeing a documentary on that a while back…

I did…

fucking Ger Lock

Just a brilliant sport. Way better live as its easier tonsee the puck than on tv but its pure non stop action. Sure every 90 seconds theres a change now so your burst yourself for that long then rest.

Its like the gaa in a way. Smallish pool of players growing up, mainly in Canadian major junior hockey, nature of it means lads fall out and will hold that grudge for years. You’ll often see a fight over something that happened or was said long before, a real honour game. no sideline to run away over, if your on the ice you have to stand up for yourself.

2 Likes

From the hockey hall of fame…lists a few places the game might have been invented in

1 Like

have you played it yourself?

i wish bro i skated a few times but all it brought me was a lot closer to the ice!

1 Like

The Gaels were from Egypt/Syria… They invented all stick games like hurling, hockey, golf and riding.

it’s a fierce enjoyable game to watch anyway. Great athletes

1 Like

They were big fans of pussy

https://youtu.be/lV_e2UP9j68

1 Like

I always found it bizarre the way they change out so much. You’d hardly be getting into your stride and you’re back on the bench again.
I went to see a second level game once in the states. Obviously it was a rung below the top so it wouldn’t be as good or as intense, but the amount of fucking breaks was unbelievable.
Like all yank sports, the game is only a sideshow to advertising. Kiss cams, Zamboni rides and announcers were more of the time than the game. A pickup truck drove out on the ice at one stage for no apparent reason other than there was a break in play and someone wanted to advertise a pick up truck. Bizarre stuff.
I’d like to see a proper one though where there was a bit on the line.
Think I’d much prefer to see a game of NBA all told though.

Im not trying to be the defender of all things hockey here but if you wanted an answer…

I thought that too, until i realised that they are tired after 90 seconds. And if forced to stay on an extra 30 are gassed. Once you are playing its generally full on skating as hard as you can. This is a big change from the 50s and 60s where despite the nostalgia its said games were way slower, and gordie howe and his peers would slowly glide around for a long time before patiently building an attack. Now its all go. A few rule changes, the main one being the ability to pass through the centre line have sped it up, by all accounts. Plus modern conditioning etc.

Yep theres a lot, skaters out cleaning the ice during a period, then the three periods which are long themselves. Though i prefer that and a stopped clock over the pointlessness of a continuous clock that the gaa has. A compromise could be the last ten minutes of a gaa game the clock stopping when out of play, but they wouldn’t be able to implement that in ballyknocksisterup

You wanna go. Lets go

Great yokes to drive though

If you dont understand ice hockey its a close call, a tight nba game in front of a good crowd is unrale, soccer and rugby for example doesnt hold a candle after. But plenty of breaks too.

Expansion team announced for seattle @Matty_Hislop get on board

@artfoley the sabres are one of the leagues form teams, story of the year, also, aboard

Excellent season so far, a few early runs have petered out (Vancouver :cry:) and quality is beginning to shine through. No more so than toronto who have an unstoppable attack if still issues at the blue line, nashville looking strongest out west, Vegas started with a slump but have found form. The emphasis on speed and skill development have slowly eroded the defensive schemes and its arguably the most entertaining of the four major sports this year. NHL tv subscription, of course, was purchased.

Playoffs in full swing, best team in the regular season Tampa have fallen apart and are 2-0 down to the blue jackets and missing art ross winner kucherov tonight for boarding

In the east light quick Toronto surprised boston in game one so boston were always likely to lower the blade, and did so in style in as dirty a game as ive seen for a while

https://youtu.be/sLXUHcmJoZg

The school of hard knocks for Russian teen andrei svechnikov last night as he challenged ovi who isn’t a fighter at all, and got owned

https://youtu.be/PAtE5E3FapM

Shit getting real now.