Neurodiversity

No time for depression when a t-rex is on your case.

1 Like

@RaymondCrotty @fenwaypark - what studies are out there on diet, particularly diet of mother when pregnant, as a cause of many of these conditions?

Our responses are hard wired alright.

Remember I said I was nearly killed when the taxi driver fell asleep on the motorway in Spain. I was scared but I’ve been as scared in work scenarios which were not life threatening.

There’s a level of fear or stress you get to and that’s it but in day to day life we feel it inappropriately

1 Like

In all seriousness there are definitely numerous posters on tfk with traits of being ‘on the spectrum’. Obsessive interests repetitive behaviours etc. The fact that someone would say this was ‘nasty’ is an example of the problem people on the spectrum still face where it is automatically seen as a bad thing. As a father of a child who’s not neurotypical it’s probably one of the main worries for their future. How others will view and treat them differently if they are labelled with a diagnosis

6 Likes

Post reported

I certainly have dyspraxia but not diagnosed.

• Still struggle with tying my shoelaces
  • Cannot fix a cycling puncture despite being shown how a huge number of times
  • I have a terrible sense of direction. Would not know how to get from A to B even if I have done the journey dozens of times
  • Lose things an inordinate amount of times (poor short term memory). I have probably lost about thirty phones in the last ten years
  • Bump into things all the time
  • Trip over myself

From doing a bit of research however I now know that dyspraxia also significantly impacts my work. Project management is very difficult. I find spreadsheets a nightmare too. I certainly have elements of other conditions also - repetitive thinking about certain things, hate big social crowds, impulsivity.

The above has all impacted my mental health as I was growing up and would have had a fair bit of self stigma. Knowledge of these things though is really powerful and quite liberating. Particularly the fact that we all function differently. There are positives to having conditions too in terms of creativity and work drive. There is far better awareness about some of these conditions compared to others.

12 Likes

From what I can see the massive fear people have is the label ‘autism’ for their kids. People dont mind as much if their kid has ADHD, dyspraxia, dyslexia sensory processing etc even though the symptoms for all of them and autism can overlap quite a bit.

Hav’nt a clue.

Are you very creative ?

In certain things around work I would like to think so yes. A cliche but I would be an out of the box thinker on creative projects.

2 Likes

Is your child creative?

Yeah you more or less described him in describing yourself. He also feels temperature more than most so would hate being too hot

He’d also be very creative - writing, animations etc

Lots of supports now though - occupational therapists taught him to ride a bike over four or five hour classes. I thought he’d never be able.

5 Likes

What sports does he play ?

It’s like if you loaded a rake of words into a shotgun and blasted an A0 sheet with it from 20 yards.
I just wonder how many words missed the paper.

1 Like

Jiu jitsu and trampolining. More to make him have some physical outlet.

Some funny moments come from it though and the sensitivity - he gave up in a jiu jitsu fight once because the opponents breath stank he said.

He never took to team sports at all. I’d a few dark days when he hit lads over the head with the hurl during Go Games. Little did I know if he’d stuck at it he could have played for Limerick.

7 Likes

https://www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/irish-showbiz/keith-duffy-proudest-parent-world-28317357

:clap::clap:

4 Likes

Duffy always struck me as an alright sort.

That’s fucking smashing to read