New Budget Before the End of The Month

[quote=“north county corncrake”]raise taxes to the levels they were at 5 years ago
pay cuts maybe, reduced hours maybe, slashing the capital budget perhaps

mass unemployment doesnt make economic sense you skany old grotbag[/quote]

oh dear.

Are you feeling the pressure Crampy?

Well, log off and work harder.

BTW we are already at mass unemployment and the only people whinging on the streets are the employed and protected Public Service.

Yet its the private sector that will be paying alot more than an additional 1% levy.

As someone who texts an awful lot, I think it’s a great idea too. 1c or 2c tax, makes no odds. The more it raises the better.

They can fuck off with the taxing texting idea. Fucking ridiculous idea. Oh why don’t we tax phone calls and paint while we’re at it.

em, phone calls and paint are taxed already Flans, VAT? you hear of that.

:wink:

Is suppose I should expand on that smiley. We already pay VAT on texts…

It turns out when you do the sums that you only raise 91 m based on existing texting levels. She was on newstalk this am and said, dont nitpick the figures. Ahh when the difference is 1.3 bln then I think nitpicking is required!!!

:wink:

2 billion message sent last year, so it would raise 20m

if they can raise 100m from texts then go for it, nobody needs to text and those doing it can afford another 1,2,3 cent.
go the greens!

How about we tax the steam off my piss!

You’d hardly turn your nose up at it, would you?

[quote=“HBV*”]if they can raise 100m from texts then go for it, nobody needs to text and those doing it can afford another 1,2,3 cent.
go the greens![/quote]

agreed. But its a bit fookin ridiculous for her to come banging on about 1.4 bn when she was almost 100% incorrect in her figures. She should be fooked out if she is that brainless.

texting is already taxed with vat too… but i reckon alot of people would be willing to let the tax on … but majority of text 12-30 year old mainly are pre-paid phones … and opt for packages where they can text for free… current i spend 20 a month with meteor for free calls and texts… if those packages were brought up to 22 euro i think alot of people would still subscribe and thats a 10% rise… but anyone who has one of these bundles knows themselves how much they save by having one

Course not, but thats not the point!

the greens could do worse than push for a texting donation service, where you text a government number and the government donate a few cents per text towards the public sector pensions and wage bill.
a few spot prizes maybe to encourage the less enthusiastic.

Could we start selling Irish passports again?

I’ve been reading what the knobs in Davy’s, NCB, etc make of the situation and here’s a pearler from Bloxham’s this morning:

The bottom line is that the medicine that needs to be dished out will be pretty severe. The only real question that needs to be addressed is not how much pain needs to be inflicted on tax payers/households but whether we do it in gradual steps or in one foul swoop.

[quote=“Mairegangaire”]the public service in Ireland, in the last 10 years, has turned into a monster that is as unmanageable as it is unaffordable. There are people in senior positions that wouldn’t get one of those jobs in the McDonalds in Ennis.
e.g.
Someone ‘acting up’ to a grade Viii (from a V) for 3 years (due to leave) is now permanently a grade VIII, with no actual post. And is one of many.

Demanding new and more taxes is a easy solution, and its fast. But change is actually what is needed.

Regarding relocation; you are wrong. And anyone you talk to out in DAP at 6 am will tell you that.[/quote]

All you’re offering there is just anecdotal crap and whether they’re imaginary or real cases is irrelevant. Do you really think that the current economic crisis has been caused by Grade V public and civil servants who have been covering leave for 3 years and are now paid as Grade VIII employees? You’d be as well complaining about subsidised canteens or BIK newspapers for all the difference it makes to the national economy?

No problem at all in making whatever changes are required but your simple solution is just blame public service for the hardship that the private sector has to endure. It’s way too simplistic and would have this country in a huge mess. But because the private sector never wanted tax cuts in the first place (according to you) they should be exempt from blame. Of course all this flies in the face of reality which is that IBEC did indeed call for tax cuts in the good times. (http://www.ibec.ie/ibec/press/presspublicationsdoclib3.nsf/wvPCDCCC/135C7A7AB14E657580256C71005F48F1?OpenDocument)

Anyone at DAP leaving at 6am to work somewhere else is tax resident in Ireland so that’s perfect for our economy. Let the UK pay them if we can tax them.

From KPMG.

Aside from 200 losing their jobs and thats only the start.

“Employees earning less than €35,000-a-year are also set to have their pay cut by 5%, while those earning more than €35,000 will have to face a 10% cut.”

In all fairness the government needs to realise that the private sector is culling its own. It regulates itself. If it can’t afford something it makes the tough cuts.
The government needs to realise that it’s income is going to keep dropping.
They will be losing billions month on month comparying this year to last year.
They won’t have the funds in the private sector to pay for anything.
They really need to act more like the private sector here.
They need to drop staff in the public sector.
They need to cut pay for those remaining.
They need to cap the penions and get rid of the index link muck they have now.
While private sector is losing jobs, taking pay cuts, not sure if their pension is worth anything now, the public sector is crying about a levy on their guaranteed pension.
I say take away the levy and the whole pension guarantee with it.
That 20billion wage bill needs to be addressed.
Also, instead of building motorways we need to address the broadband issue.
We were software heaven at one time, when it involved putting software on disks and shipping it. We are hopelessly behind now.

Yours in going into my barracks and shutting the door for 2 years,
GSH.

i thought the figure didnt really add up. to get 1.4bn you’d nearly want to be taxing at a euro a text. couldnt understand where the figure came from. didnt hear her on newstalk, but as you say dan, nitpicking at a slight difference in figures should be made here.