New jersey in GAA

Horrible jersey., whats that yellow shite down the bottom for?

its because o’neills arent trying to pass themselves off as adidas.

Adidas (the plaintiff) commenced operations in 1947 as manufacturer and distributor of sports footwear which was marked with a distinctive design and fashion of three diagonal coloured stripes on each boot. In 1967 Adidas began to manufacture sportswear such as tracksuits which had a distinctive three stripe design down the sides of the arms and legs of the tracksuits and jerseys manufactured by that company. In 1976, the plaintiff began manufacturing their products in Ireland which brought them into competition with the defendants (O’Neill & Co). The defendants were long established in the Irish sports market, manufacturing its own sports apparel. In 1965 O’Neill began putting stripes on its products. The number of stripes varied on what was ordered from 1 to 3 but within a few years it concentrated on a three stripe design. Evidence was given at the trial that the three stripe design has been used by manufacturers of sports wear in many other countries, but that Adidas were the only manufacturers who exclusively used the particular arrangement of light coloured stripes of equal width set against a differently coloured background. Adidas claimed that O’Neill by the use of the three striped design in the manner stated was passing off the products as the products of Adidas. The defendant claimed that the Adidas three striped design was not part of the goodwill of Adidas. To establish such a claim for passing off the plaintiff would have to prove that he had an exclusive association with a particular design on its products in Ireland.

In the High Court it was held by MacWilliam J that the plaintiff had failed to establish essential reputation in Ireland in relation to the three stripe design and that no confusion had been caused by the defendant’s use of the three stripe design.

Held By O’Higgins CJ, Hederman J concurring dismissing the appeal.

1. The use of the stripes of varying colours and numbers on sports garments was a fashion in the trade and that the defendants in resorting to fashionable demands had not attempted to deceive or pass off and had in fact not done so.

Held by Henchy J dissenting

1. In allowing the appeal and granting the plaintiffs an injunction restraining the defendant from selling or offering for sale sports garments bearing the three stripe arrangement to be found on such garments when manufactured by or for Adidas.

2. The evidence at the trial of the action was sufficient to sustain the plaintiffs claim that the three stripe design had become part of the goodwill of Adidas.

3. The plaintiffs had acquired a recognised and protectible property right which was sufficient to entitle them to a common law trade mark (apart from registration of a trade mark) protectible by a passing off action.

that Meath jersey is quality

Noddy you think every jersey is great!

It shows O’Neill’s are down with the young people.

Seriously, that shade of green is rotten.

Not just the shade of green, the material is right dodgy.

:smiley: I see what your doing here you fucker.

Ita all wrong, the Meath 1988 jersey is where its at.

I honestly have no idea what you’re talking about Kev.

Neither do i :wink:

what can i say?? oneills are brilliant at producing jerseys!!
i must agree though, that that shade of green doesnt suit meath

You said it…

No.

New Ireland jersey is fierce nice.
They’ve re-issued the early 80s Irish football jersey too, which has a similar design. Glorious stuff.
http://www.oneills.com/files/shop/viewbuynow.php?PR=1676&CID=18&SCID=&x=88&y=82

Not a GAA jersey, but I do like this

http://www.oneills.com/files/shop/viewbuynow.php?PR=1686&CID=18&SCID=&x=58&y=93

Not this again. :rolleyes:

Ya class, slightly worrying though that the 80’s are now retro!!!

Huh?

We had a confusing debate on this before, it led to all sorts of truths about fellas irishness unfolding. There was some mistake on the jersey, can’t remember the exact story now, its back along this thread i think.

The WestBrit FakeCrake thought there was a spelling error on the jersey until it was pointed out to him the spelling on the jersey was correct and that he was the idiot. :lol:

that was a good day.