Next Celtic Manager

How is How on youth development?

Can’t recall too many players coming through from the youth setup.

Kenny dalgleish was imposed upon Martin O Neill, until he wasn’t.

1 Like

I’d be in the middle somewhere of that. I wish it had been done a few months ago, but I think it’s a sensible appointment and he will steady the ship. I hope he is given free enough rein though. Like MON said, it’s my head on the block, I’ll make the decisions, or words to that effect. I think SPL teams in general do better with a spine of lads from the island, or settled there, with a talented striker.
I can’t think of any other absolute standouts I’d be desperate to have in above him.

2 Likes

He was very good at Bournemouth. Also buy young, develop and sell. My mate who worked for them had to produce a report as an income strategy when they were championship.

1 Like

TFK doesn’t do nuance. You have to be emphatically for or against everything.

2 Likes

@anon98850436

Please pass on the poll result to Desmond ASAP.

Duly noted.

If appointed Howe should be ok up there. In recent years managers like Gerrard , Lennon and Delia have won titles in Scotland so Howe won’t be out of his depth.

Howe is a better manager than all of them

1 Like

I’m not sold on Howe. I would have rather European Manager with pedigree whose focus would be on the Champions League and would spend wisely but effectively.

I fear Howe being a brit will think winning the league and getting one over on Gerard will be enough. It’s not for me. Rangers are shite and they’re broke. I think if the board had done it’s job and sacked Lennon in October then we’d be in a title race and rangers would have likely imploded with pressure on them.

2 Likes

Wtf?

You back on the chatting dust?

Howe reminds me of Rodgers and he had a pop at me before at a function.

Chatting dust is long gone with 3 bhoys.

3 Likes

He didn’t mean it plus you were off your game that night tbf.

Actually I’ve a little bit ordered for tomorrow. Sure it’s Easter…

2 Likes

:brendan:

2 Likes

:grinning:

Howe fits the bill for the training ground/development/coaching type that’s a prerequisite for Celtic these days. That was Rodgers’ forte so the comparisons are fair enough, I feel.

Not sure what I make of him reportedly (being forced to?) retaining Kennedy and Strachan but demanding his man (Richard Hughes) gets the Director of Football) role.

That in itself smacks a bit of Rodgers appointing Lee Congerton. The whole point of a DoF and the football operation underneath is that they’re independent of the first team management so can work away without disruption in the event of coaching changes. They know the profile of player that fits for our circumstances and the limitations that come with playing in Scotland.

You don’t necessarily want a manager and DoF coming as a pair and, again, not sure what that would say about the board if they just acceded to this and abandoned their own DoF recruitment process.

Interesting times with the manager, club captain and CEO all leaving around the same time and loads of players either out of or winding down contracts.

2 Likes

Agreed, the DOF should have a vision of what type of manager the club needs and has a succession plan with a list of managers that can take over if one leaves

DoF needs to be there for a lot longer than the manager. If he’s tied to the manager and leaves with him then it’s a fairly pointless role.

3 Likes