Niall Breslin - Carrying the hopes of a nation

Fuck up.

Is shyness a personality trait or a mental illness that should be treated?

Shyness can now be classified as “avoidant personality disorder” - third most common mental disorder in USA after depression and alcoholism and treated with anti-depressants.
Like most things in life - follow the money. Cholesterol is another example in a non mental illness setting of normal being re-defined so that people can be prescribed drugs.

I don’t think it was groundbreaking. For me he just spoke a lot of sense. In particular I found the following of interest:

• He was in difficulty and didn’t speak out when he was at Leinster as he thought that would be the end of his chances
  • Lots of medical attention given to physical conditioning but nothing on mental heal
  • The way Leinster basically fucked him over when he was injured
  • How he dealt with injury (sitting down, eating junk food for seven days and not moving)
  • Panic attack story directly prior to going on television
  • Getting control over panic attacks being key to it
  • How beneficial exercise has been for his mental health
  • Fear as to how others perceived him was horrible
  • Importance of looking at motivations behind actions
  • Repeatedly mentions how complex mental health is and it isn’t black and white thing. Something I agree entirely with

For the record I completely disagree with his thoughts on music success.

[QUOTE=“Raymond Crotty, post: 1055324, member: 25”]I don’t think it was groundbreaking. For me he just spoke a lot of sense. In particular I found the following of interest:

• He was in difficulty and didn’t speak out when he was at Leinster as he thought that would be the end of his chances
  • Lots of medical attention given to physical conditioning but nothing on mental heal
  • The way Leinster basically fucked him over when he was injured
  • How he dealt with injury (sitting down, eating junk food for seven days and not moving)
  • Panic attack story directly prior to going on television
  • Getting control over panic attacks being key to it
  • How beneficial exercise has been for his mental health
  • Fear as to how others perceived him was horrible
  • Importance of looking at motivations behind actions
  • Repeatedly mentions how complex mental health is and it isn’t black and white thing. Something I agree entirely with

For the record I completely disagree with his thoughts on music success.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if it were Thom Yorker had come out with the comments would people view them differently?

Agree with you on this Ray, Bressie is an alright sort

[ATTACH=full]2062[/ATTACH]

Top 10 google searches so far in 2014.

Baby don’t hurt me, don’t hurt me, no more.

[SIZE=6]We all need to reach out to our children with sensitivity[/SIZE]
http://www.independent.ie/incoming/article30561449.ece/f967e/ALTERNATES/w50square/ivan-yates-bio_BW.jpg
[SIZE=4]Ivan Yates [/SIZE]

It’s not often that I attend an event that I leave wanting to tell everybody about what I just heard. I am referring to the compelling stories of ‘service users’ of the psychiatric and mental health service. Behind the clinical jargon lay the emotions of vulnerable humans who didn’t have readily identifiable physical problems, easily diagnosed and treated.

One in four people encounter an episode of mental ill-health in their lifetime. I myself suffered a breakdown in 1996 from nervous exhaustion and depression, gaining enormous strength from subsequent psychotherapy.

These journeys of anxiety, low self-esteem, fear and isolation are aggravated and extenuated by the failure of society to listen. Family members, classmates in school, friends and the primary care system weren’t able to respond to the early symptoms so that they could get appropriate, timely help. The stigma of mental illness is still alive and well in the Ireland of 2015, forcing denial of problems to even our nearest and dearest.

Yesteryear, there was little understanding, let alone public discourse, about what was colloquially termed “suffering from your nerves”. Growing up in Enniscorthy, Co Wexford, the psychiatric services were provided in St Senan’s Hospital - commonly referred to as the “Mental”. It comprised a massive set of red brick buildings, away from the community. It was a large local employer of nurses, who seemed to operate behind locked doors and administer sedation. Inside was a concealed world of unknown people, mad or bad.

The prevailing culture was denial, unspoken detainment. Families rarely spoke about a relative’s admission. There were the horrors of electric shock therapy. Those who were “dried out” from alcoholism were “respectable” enough to be revealed.

The core tenet of the ‘Vision for Change’ policy over recent decades was to switch from institutional to community-based care systems. Cynical observers felt the driving force was cost savings to reduce staff numbers, pushing patients to fend for themselves without adequate supports.

This analysis has been proven wrong. The quality of life for patients is built around allowing them, albeit with risks, to embrace their own well-being - confronting their own demons and teaching positive mental health techniques.

Solutions are not confined to drugs that merely dull their senses without tackling the inner causes of anguish. Revealing stories of childhood adversity is vital to unlock the underlying reasons which lead to people failing to cope.

[B]Niall Breslin, better known as Bressie on RTÉ’s ‘The Voice of Ireland’, told his remarkable story of incredible bouts of anxiety/panic attacks and endless nights of insomnia. It began as a child in Israel, where his dad was an Irish Army UN peacekeeper. The noise of night-shelling terrorised him. Later, in his adolescent and adult life, these concealed fears haunted him. He was selected as a Westmeath Gaelic footballer and subsequently got a professional contract with Leinster Rugby. But one night before a critical rugby match, he strapped his arm to the side rail of his bed. Using his other fist, he struck himself with ferocious blows, breaking a bone, so he would be admitted to hospital, unable to play.
In hospital he was unable to tell anybody of his acute mental distress. As a UCD undergraduate at a lecture, he felt so scared he spent six hours hiding in a toilet. His latent anxiety about a live TV show caused him to have a horrific vomiting outbreak moments before a live show transmission.

Bressie articulates, with amazing honesty, past phobias as “me and my mate Jeffrey”. Having become addicted to various prescribed sleeping tablets, he only overcame habitual inability to sleep by running 38 kilometres one night. He credits a general practitioner with opening to him the possibilities of learning, adapting and using positive mental health techniques. He is now an ambassador for Aware and a trenchant advocate for reforms within our education system, so appropriate early warning signs are identified to allow teenagers to access help.[/B]

Rory lives in West Cork and is now working with mental health services as a professional. He had more than 20 hospitalisations in psychiatric care. He set up groups to assist people who “hear voices”, which can act as a warning sign.

I never knew that one of the reasons people harm themselves is from a belief that their pain would be released with their blood.

Rory battled with family members; years of failure to be understood and rejecting assistance. He gave us unique insights into mental anguish. His recovery, to progress as a father of four and become an employee of the HSE is inspirational.

A mother, Ann, narrated her family’s experience with their daughter, Yvonne, explaining the mistakes parents can make in early stages through ignorance and without diagnosis. “Pull yourself together”, is often the wrong refrain of fathers when faced with a child suffering from a psychosis. Modern nursing care relies on family support and key personal relationships to sustain patients towards a fulfilling life. The great news is just how treatable and curable mental illness is. There is no inevitability about 11,000 individual, annual treatments for self-harm in hospitals. Over the past decade the number of suicides has risen sharply - over 500 per year. Our prisons are full of people with mental health issues.
Despite ring-fenced budgets, mental health staff numbers have decreased from 12,242 to 9,065. Ireland has the fourth highest level of mental illness in young men between 15 and 34. Teenagers are still treated in adult wards. Talk therapy is still a Cinderella within the system.

However, what I really learned was that, more important than public policy resource allocations and ministerial pronouncements, is the necessity for greater awareness by everybody, so we are alert to the early symptoms in our children and adolescents. Tell-tale signs can be apparent.

The antidote to these ‘moods’ is ensuring some simple steps to positive mental health. Sharing problems. Listening and talking. Encouraging healthy eating, sleeping well and taking exercise. These proactive measures can be more effective than antidepressant tablets.

Let’s all play our inadequate part in reaching out with sensitivity and understanding before isolation and pain wrecks even more lives.

Niall Breslin, fair play to him, has been visiting a lot of corporates in recent months to share his anxiety story. Anybody know if this is on a voluntary basis?

Richie Sadlier is also rolling out his corporate “how I coped mentally with injury robbing me of my professional football career” programme and has been doing the rounds lately too.

Hopefully their stories will help people suffering from anxiety.

BINGO

I need to roll out… “my life without gluten”

[QUOTE=“Bandage, post: 1129998, member: 9”]Niall Breslin, fair play to him, has been visiting a lot of corporates in recent months to share his anxiety story. Anybody know if this is on a voluntary basis?

Richie Sadlier is also rolling out his corporate “how I coped mentally with injury robbing me of my professional football career” programme and has been doing the rounds lately too.

Hopefully their stories will help people suffering from anxiety.[/QUOTE]

The corporate training market is an excellent business opportunity.

Plus you are giving something back to people to help them achieve the potential. In many ways that is enough reward.

Not all ways though so a fee is expected.

It’s an area that I intend to do more in if time allows over the next year or two.

“Smokeless Coal for Your Soul - How to Banish Brain Fog and Achieve Cognitive Clarity” will be one module.

Bressie’s story is as inspiring as it is honest and it will have a positive impact on anyone experiencing anxiety and stress in the workplace. His morale-boosting talk slots easily into corporate events, especially those with a health and wellbeing focus or indeed any event requiring a morale-boosting finale. His background in sport and music gives him an interesting slant on topics like teamwork and motivation and he is living proof that you can overcome your own demons to ultimately succeed. Recent clients include Accenture, Lovin Dublin, Aviva, Vodafone, Dublin Insurance Institute, Bank of Ireland, Arthur Cox and AIB.
To book Bressie for your next event please contact us on +353 (0)1 6190243 or email info@speakersolutions.ie

[SIZE=6]Speakers’ Fees[/SIZE]
Speaker Solutions works with speakers of all price ranges ranging from €1,000 to €75,000.

Speaker fees vary widely and typically do not include expenses. Expenses often include 1st class airfare, hotel accommodations, ground transportation, meals, and any out-of-pocket expenses. Fees for international events are often subject to an incremental increase in cost.
Many speakers charge a base fee for 1-hour presentation and keynotes. This fee often increases incrementally depending on your requirements from half to full day seminars. In some cases, a speaker will charge the same fee for a presentation regardless of whether it’s an hour or a full day seminar.
It costs nothing to speak to us or to receive advice and information on any speaker. Our fee is contained in the speaker’s honorarium which will be quoted to you initially and outlined in the booking agreement should you decide to proceed with a speaker. This agreement must be signed by both parties to ensure the speaker is confirmed.

[QUOTE=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 1130001, member: 2272”]The corporate training market is an excellent business opportunity.

Plus you are giving something back to people to help them achieve the potential. In many ways that is enough reward.

Not all ways though so a fee is expected.

It’s an area that I intend to do more in if time allows over the next year or two.

“Smokeless Coal for Your Soul - How to Banish Brain Fog and Achieve Cognitive Clarity” will be one module.[/QUOTE]

“I had just made my Ireland debut but I couldn’t shake off this nagging hip injury. A couple of years later I was retired. I was very low and anxious about the future - it actually took me a while to come to terms with it but I had good support from my family. I then went to college and did a course and moved into a new career direction. I’m not saying my football situation is like your business here but things might not work out as you want. You could go for promotion and not get selected for the role, for example. But my story shows that new avenues open and you could get another role in the future. You could even retrain and move into a different area of the business. It’s important to speak to your family and friends and let them to help you. Thank you.”

“I was feeling a little bit anxious there but I just went to an amazing Richie Sadlier talk in work. I’m much more happy within myself now and I’m really thankful for work for organising it. It’s great to know that I’m not alone in this and even famous people like Richie Sadlier and Bressie suffer from anxiety problems too. Fair play to work for organising it though - it shows they care about us and I’m not going to push for a pay rise this year. Some things are more important - I want to work somewhere I feel valued.”

“Thanks for coming in, Richie. The staff seemed to get a lot out of it and your story really resonated with them. We’re putting on a lot of these events to show that we’re interested in them as people and we care about their general health and well-being.”

“You’re very welcome. I really enjoyed sharing my story with everyone here today. You’ll transfer the ten grand into my account tomorrow, yeah?”

“Will do, Richie.”

“Jesus, that worked well. Will we get away with not paying an annual bonus if we have a few more of these shite events with no marks like Sadlier?”

“Worth a try anyway. Do you have Bressie’s number handy?”

[QUOTE=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 1130001, member: 2272”]

"Smokeless Coal for Your Soul .[/QUOTE]

:smiley: :clap:

Bressie on Claire Byrne now discussing mental health issues. Wonder will he mention his corporate speaking gigs and possible fees from same.

He has a 3 point plan for schools.

One if them is for yoga to be used in schools every day.

Bressie should do away with himself to help raise awareness of suicide

:eek:

Barry Hazell in the audience there is an old teacher of mine.

That was a shit comment @mickee321. Grow up

:eek::popcorn: