Nóirín O'Sullivan - Former Garda Commissioner

He’s surely not going to bottle this

Sorry mate, what’s this in relation to? If I make a mistake I’ll always rectify, I don’t go for the TFK way.

Do you share your TFK account with your wife?

I’d say so. She got very upset when I suggested her kitchen needed cleaning.

1 Like

And one of them is mad about shoes.

3 Likes

Ms O’Sullivan has announced a three-month review “to get to the bottom of where this problem is” but repeatedly refused to speculate on the likelihood there was widescale forgery of statistics.

It has now emerged that problems with Mandatory Alcohol Tests (MATs) first came to light in April 2014 when an anonymous whistleblower wrote to the then-chairman of the Road Safety Authority (RSA) Gay Byrne highlighting issues in the Western Region.

The former ‘Late Late Show’ host forwarded the allegations about lack of enforcement to then Transport Minister Leo Varadkar, who in turn alerted Ms O’Sullivan.

However, in July 2015, a working group was established to conduct an audit of breath tests in the Southern Region between 2009 and 2014. It identified a discrepancy of 17pc between the number of breath-tests recorded on the PULSE system and the number of tests recorded on the testing devices.

Ms O’Sullivan insisted yesterday it wasn’t until earlier this month that it became clear this was “a countrywide problem” on a “very significant” scale.

Where do you even start? First raised in 2014 but because they couldn’t identify the whistleblower they dropped it :grinning:
Varadkar knew about it.
They knew again in July 2015.
But they only found out about it being countrywide now :smirk:

My question would be what they did to rectify the issues identified in the Southern Region in 2015? The answer I presume is nothing, so they should all be sacked.

Is Varadkar getting any stick over this? I’d love the cunt to become embroiled in it. Why didn’t he pass the letter to the Garda Ombudsman? Surely he’s the person to investigate claims of fraud within the Gardaí not O’Sullivan? If not then why are we paying a Garda Ombudsman at all?

She must have some serious dirt on some senior people to have survived this long. She should never have been appointed in the first place she was too ingrained in the culture.

I heard Pat Kenny discussing this and it seems for every real breath test done the Gardai also added their own dummy test. I know some gardai are not the brightest sparks in the box but this seems to spread to the whole force. Surely they cant all be that thick.

1 Like

The practice suited everyone.

Its suited the individual gardai as it looked like they were doing more work than they actually were, it suited the local bosses as it boosted the stations/divisions results and it suited National Garda Management as they could claim they were conducted huge numbers of drink driving tests.

It’s ridiculous that O’Sullivan is still in charge. She is ingrained in this culture within the Gardai, appointing insiders who most likely partook in this kind of dodgy carry on isn’t going to solve anything.

2 Likes

Why did Varadkar not alert the Minister for Justice too?

this shows that the whole force is corrupt

3 Likes

Even anecdotally I can’t understand how they expected people to believe the numbers. I have been bagged once in 13 or 14 years. I know quite a few people who have never been bagged. The whole organisation is rotten from top to bottom and needs to be gutted.

1 Like

Just on the last few points of the Commissiner being “ingrained in this culture”, the Commissioner has to be appointed from the within the Gardaí. The government have so far resisted changing the legislation to allow external candidates to apply. If or when O’Sullivan goes it will be a major test of government as to whether they will change the rules on this. External candidates need to be allowed apply at all levels, not just at the top.

1 Like

I am driving over 25 years and have never been bagged.

The Gardai were caught fiddling the numbers because the number of tests they say they were carrying out were higher than the number of plastic pieces they were ordering, they were notified of this in 2014. Its not fucking rocket science to count the figures really. The Gardai are some shower and O’Sullivan says that this is not the last of the scandals, I wonder what else is coming down the tracks.

I’ve been bagged once in my entire life. August bank holiday 2015

Ive been bagged once in 16 years driving and that was about 2010.

Sorry that should be twice I was bagged one real and one for the Garda stats man.

1 Like

I’ve never been bagged

You have, you just didn’t know it. :slight_smile:

Jaysus they are a gas shower of cunts. Problem solved.

Philip Boucher Hayes was on Drivetime yesterday evening. Management set out the number of tests they expected to be carried out during a particular period. They are logged on Pulse. These targets are generally impossible to achieve. Those that are not carried out are taken off the system. However management still included the ones that were logged but not carried out in their stats. They basically pulled a number from their arse and included them even if they weren’t carried out. The reason given was because promotions were based on stats and that’s what every region was at.