Sean Cronin (Buccaneers/Connacht)
Stephen Ferris (Dungannon/Ulster)
John Hayes (Bruff/Munster)
Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster)
Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster)
Marcus Horan (Shannon/Munster)
Denis Leamy (Cork Constitution/Munster)
John Muldoon (Galwegians/Connacht)
Donncha O’ Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster)
Sean O’Brien (Clontarf/Leinster)
Mick O’Driscoll (Constitution/Munster)
Mike Ross (Clontarf/Leinster)
Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster)
Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster)*
Damien Varley (Garryowen/Munster)
David Wallace (Garryowen/Munster)

Isaac Boss (Terenure College/Leinster)
Tommy Bowe (Ospreys)
Gordon D’Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
Gavin Duffy (Galwegians/Connacht)
Keith Earls (Thomond/Munster)
Shane Horgan (Boyne/Leinster)
Robert Kearney (UCD/Leinster)
Johne Murphy (Young Munster/Munster)*
Ronan O’Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster)
Brian O’Driscoll (UCD/Leinster)
Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
Jonathan Sexton (St.Mary’s College/Leinster)
Peter Stringer (Shannon/Munster)
Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)
Paddy Wallace (Ballymena/Ulster)

No Fionn Carr, glaring omission.

Agreed.

Devon Toner is not an International player though, yet anyway. He’d get killed by the SA or AB 2nd rows.

Carr’s omission is a poor one especially when Gavin Duffy has gotten his place in the squad…

Agreed on Carr. Toner is the best of a bad bunch and our second rows are really weak. If Leo Cullen has been excluded for any other reason than not being fully fit then Kidney should go fuck off with himself. Including Marcus Horan is a waste of time as well IMO. I won’t even bother elaborating on Micko.

Whatever about Duffy, Shaggy is finished at this level. Unless he’s there for a bit of experience and some water carrying its a waste of time.

Agreed on Horan, wouldn’t even have him on the Munster squad at this stage.

Micko is a bit better than Toner still Mac, in all seriousness.

Horan is finished iat international level alright. Magners League is his bread and butter from now on I’d imagine. It’s going to be a Munster second row now matter what I’d say. Donncha with Ryan/O’Driscoll. Back rows, onve again are plentyfull

Neither Micko nor Toner should be there at all Kev. Grand for Toner to get a bit of experience against Samoa or something as he’s still young. Including Micko is just holding other young fella back. The likes of Caldwell or O’Donoghue would be much better in there. They’re a bunch of nothing games that do nothing other than generate revenue for Diageo and the IRFU. Why not experiment and bring some younger lads through rather than going with old guard, again. Hayes should be rested as well - give Buckley and Ross a proper shot at it.

But what about the future? Who is the future, who is going to improve the team? And who needs the experience?

Those were your comments on McCarthy v Green by the way.

Difference is McCarthy is already better than Green. Green has been proved to be nowhere near the level Rocko, why bring it up now? Micko has numerous caps and HEC medals, been captain of a top team etc. There is no comparision between him and Green.

Anyway, if O’ Connell was around i’d agree with Mac, thats why Micko (and his form) is there. I’m starting to like Toner, and he has many years left yet to get to the required level, size is the big thing for him. He has improved immeasurably from this season to last. Cue Rocko telling me his Clean & Press stats are no better this year than last… :lol:

I’m all for blooding young guys, just don’t think Toner is ready yet, but then again the game against WS might suit him.

Far bigger thing is the exclusion of Carr anyway.

Ah I’m only messing - I don’t think Toner is ready yet either but there’s no harm in having him in an extended panel. Irish rugby has a small enough pool of professional players. No harm in getting a look at the guy and figuring out if he has the attitude and aptitude even if he’s not ready yet.

He has been more impressive this season anyway but it’s tough enough to judge in the environment of a fairly comfortable Leinster pack. Hines has been helpful beside him.

Ed O’Donoghue has been struggling with injuries so far this season, so I would presume that is why he isn’t involved…

Marcus is out of the November tests with a hand injury

We might as well set up a seperate thread for this, as is the custom with the national side…

Hope he goes for youth in the marginal calls for next week, like Cronin, O’Brien, Sexton etc and expect he will

My team for South Africa:

======Kearney====
Bowe==============Trimble
====O’Driscoll=D’Arcy=======
=====Sexton=Reddan======
=O’Brien===Heaslip===Ferris==
==O’Callaghan==Cullen======
=Healy==Cronin==Buckely====

Subs:
Best
Hayes
Court
Ryan
Leamy
Stringer
O’Gara
Earls/Fitzgerald

Big game for that front row but they may as well step up to it now.

I’d have Stringer at 9 - just think he’s a superior player to the alternatives but I expect Reddan will get the start.

That’s a superb back row on paper.

Sean O’Brien is looking like the real deal so far this season in fairness to him…Reckon they will go for D’arcy’s physical presence in the centre ahead of wallace…The front row will be up against it but Healy and Buckely need these kind of games in the lead up to the WC, nothing really to be gained from playing the likes of Hayes in it

Wallace has to start I would have thought after the summer tour. Far more skillful player than Darcy and combines very well with Sexton. Would go with Stringer too but reckon there is no chance that will happen.

Unreal to think not only will one of Earls or Luke be on the bench, but one of them may not even be in the 22. Changed times from backlines featuring Howe, Maggs, Hendo etc, although that may be harsh on the latter two who were devent servants. I fucking hated the sight of Howe though.

Bump.