Obese Ireland

Without doubt the post of the year and I’d like to add when young people in the county want to get high they climb tree you can guess what they do in the city

Not sure if I agree with that FP. I think you can eat healthily for as cheap as you can eat shite, cheaper in a lot of cases. Wasnt a whole pile of spare cash in our house growing up and my mother never doled up shit to us. We knew what we would be eating on a daily basis because the dinnner was planned on a Friday for the next week and the shopping done accordingly. Stew, mince with gravy, spag bol, bacon and cabbage etc etc can all be done with cheap staples. You could make enough soup for two days after school work for less than 2 quid with a few carrots spuds and a stock cube.
Dont think my upbringing was any different from other rural kids either, would say it was the norm. Id say we had cholocate once a month, the chipper was a two or three times a year treat etc etc

Far cheaper to buy a big bag of porridge and give the kids the best possible start to the day than it is to be buying cornflakes etc.

Real problem is a lot of people just dont know how to cook now, or just couldnt be bothered. I think giving cookery and ‘housekeeping’ lessons in school is more vital now than ever, for boys and girls, because there is a generation there who didnt learn in the kitchen with their parents. Loads of discussion forums around the place showing how to feed the family for sub 100 per week.

It is no coincidence that there are far more chippers and pizza joints in ‘working class’ areas than anywhere else, much bigger demand for them. I think the issue now is convenience takes precedence over everything else

Get the lift to their plush fourth floor apartment?

nub of the issue right there

Just the response I’d expect from both of you. If Pikeman comes online I’ll let him tell the story as he was closer to it than I was. I recall both of you having the same reaction when I posted about Harney being in and out of a certain location and I was proved right in that case so I’ll put this one down to both of you not learning from your mistakes.

Mrs Mac is teaching in a DEIS school at the moment. A couple of teachers went out of their way and gave up their time to run a breakfast club to ensure kids from certain backgrounds had a decent start to the day. They were told to stop by either the principal or from someone in the VEC covering that area. This was about 3 years ago.

For what it’s worth I think Dan is on the money with a lot of what he has posted above. It doesn’t cost a lot to eat healthy, it’s mostly just pure laziness.

People dont eat out for eating outs sake or because they can’t cook what they get out at home they just can’t be bothered to cook at home or it’s handier to eat out

While I actually agree with you and my own mother fed me much the same as you’re fed you Dan, but did your mother work outside the home?? mine didn’t. There are an awful lot of big mortgages out there at the moment requiring two salaries to keep them paid and people are either too tired to come home and cook or too late in to cook

Agree with a lot of what Dan said aswell.

However, processed foods are not only convenient but cheaper. A lot of fruit and nuts (healthy treats) are quite expensive.

If healthy meals were provided in DEIS schools it would these kids into a routine of eating healthier and would benefit them later on in life when they are in a position to make their own choices with regards to diet.

The day of the stay at home mammy is over and society is much the worse for it.

Thats a cultural thing and a case of history repeating itself. Healthy meals in DEIS schools would a step to breaking the cycle.

She did yeah for the most part. We used to have to take it in turns to get the dinner ready after school. Some education!!!

What does DEIS stand for?

Not saying your wrong, but I think it’s unrealistic to expect that to happen any time soon, I think educating and facilitating parents is a far more realistic option. You ever see Jamie’s School Dinners? He’s a right pain in the hole of a man but he did great work there, and was very persistent on it.

The grim childhood of dancarter.

DEIS are schools in designated disadvantage areas. I understand this as it takes time to change a culture. Making Home Economics compulsory up to junior cert would also be a positive step from a school perspective or having nutrition as a module as part of PE.

Striking resemblance, but hunger was never a problem!!

What about the stay at home daddy rakes of lads I was rared up with were fed by their farmer father with their nurce, teacher mammies were off at work

My own mother gives out about the women who don’t teach their sons to cook

Stick on BBC 4 there to see whats wrong with america

Respect to Mrs Mac, thats a tough gig.

Bollocks, I think teachers are as useless, overpaid and under worked as the next person but parents have to take some responsibility too