Obese Ireland

Yeah learning to cook when your young is massive

Same thing Turfcutter. Having one parent at home to meet kids after schools and prepare good meals is what most of us experienced growing up. For many lads this was the mother. In fairness, my mom always prepared decent meals for my brother and I. She would often buy biscuits and the likes that we ate too much of, not knowing that nutritionally that was bad for us (nor did she).

You might want to read my first post on this. I said exactly that.

did i jump the gun a bit

Not only that, you fired a couple of bullets. In tackling issues such as this there are a number of approaches that need to be taken, and some of these are interrated such as Parenting and Schools.

No argument here and the family GP should have an input into things too.

Obesity is linked to diabetes and a range of other medical problems

True alright. Was living with a wan from IBEC at the time who was working in that sector and had whole thing had to be shelved when Martin was replaced by Harney.

The government do have a number of companies that would be involved in providing after schools meals to children in disadvantaegd areas. The LDCs would do a lot of work in this area

It should be, but they need the right PE teachers in there, many (albeit up to a few years ago) PE teachers were useless lazy fuckers who just threw the kids a ball or whatever. There was no real education about health, nutrition & fitness. One school i was particularly surprised at was a rather expensive big private school in Cork. Its grand to say give more PE time, but its what you do with that time is important. Not every kid is sporty, but every kid can be healthy and taught to exercise in a fun way. I realise its hard for a teacher, but if you had a full time PE teachers (as in they teach nothing else and preferably with a Sports Science/PE backround) who can individualize the programs for kids. The lads on the school rugby or football teams are not usually an issue (although they can be too from a nutritional POV), its generally the rest of the kids.

He’s not a socalist, he’s a dreamer who’s waking up to reality in recent past.

Excellent post. My experience is not quite the same, but close. My mother did too much for us. I left home and was quite independant early enough so i was forced to cook for myself and along with my fitness interest my nutritional interest grew over time. My brother is a useless fucker though from that point of view and couldn’t cook beans on toast. This isn’t great IMO.

Anything is a tough gig compared to what you have. :lol:

I think most people over 27/28 would have had much the same upbringing as Dan outlined , therefore they should be passing this on to their kids, but they’re not. And in some cases it is just down right cruelty.

I work part time in a shop in a college and it is frightening the amount of junk kids buy and from 9 in the morning too and you know it’s their breakfast. These are habits that ain’t going to die fast as most of this generation have been given money to do as they wish for their lunch since school. When I was younger I got a packed lunch and enough for a cup of soup , and sweets were seen as a treat, not the norm. It really us frightening.

Complete and utter shite.

care to expand on reasons why?

Seriously?

You forgetting the positive role played by women in the workplace by any chance?

Society is all the better for that and its benefits should be promoted more.

the laziness of parents here is the issue. Nutrition should be taught in schools too.

Was fairly shocked in first year college that I was the only lad in the house that could cook. Mammies spoiling their kids something rotten.

It is 100% the parents fault, whether through neglect or spoiling kids. Forking silage for a few hours on Christmas Day should be considered as an antidote when you spot the first signs of a kid getting a bit above himself.

nonsense - nothing trumps a child being brought up by parents ahead of a creche

What would these be?

+1. Utterly ridiculous statement.

Not a parent myself, but would any of the parents here believe that if you absolutely HAVE to both work, wouldn’t it be better to work part time and maybe engage the help of your own parents, or do some rotation with your own siblings if possible. Growing up with your family around you can only be good. No matter how good the creche is they simply cannot be anywhere near good enough for a child when you think about it.

I presume its bloody hard to organise, but if you can’t be there yourself, then i think the only option is other family members.

i assume if it can be done working part time & parents helping out is the best scenario

Circumstances can make it difficult but I agree with the above and TASE’s sentiment on this. Don’t think you can put a price on the benefit to having kids raised by family rather than by someone in a creche or similar facility. Our office is above one of these such facilities and if parents knew some of the shit that the workers were getting up to during the day they wouldn’t be long taking their kids out of there.

obviously its a financial thing but KIBs statement is ridiculous - House Husband is my dream role