Official 2011 All Ireland Hurling Championship Thread

2006 v Cork

Cork 2006 I’d say

Can’t say i agree with O’Flynn’s sugestions but it is nice to see the two Clon lads get a bit of recognition as they along with the form of Conor McGrath and Domhniall O’Donovan the few positives to take from this year

[left]
If the All Stars were picked today

By Diarmuid O’Flynn
Thursday, September 01, 2011
1: Brendan Cummins (Tipperary, incumbent), David Herity (Kilkenny) and Gary Maguire (Dublin).
It being so close, and because Brendan already has a few on his mantelpiece, narrowing it to David and Gary. David could help his cause considerably with a good showing in the final, but going for Gary.

2: Paddy Stapleton (Tipperary), Niall Corcoran (Dublin), Paul Murphy (Kilkenny). These have been the three most consistent players in this position, the latter two especially so. Niall shades it, but as with David Herity, Paul could change that in the final.

3: Paul Curran (Tipperary), Peter Kelly (Dublin), Noel Hickey (Kilkenny). Nominations dominated by just three counties so far, and as in the other two positions, going again for the league champions, Dublin, and the versatile Kelly.
4: Noel Connors (Waterford), David Collins (Galway), Tom Condon (Limerick) — with Jackie Tyrell (Kilkenny) and Stephen McDonnell (Cork) also meriting mention. Very competitive position this, a few welcome new faces. David Collins gets it for his outstanding displays, even when Galway were very poor.

5: Tommy Walsh (Kilkenny). No apologies to anyone, Tommy is out on his own here. Again.

6: Conor O’Mahony (Tipperary), Brian Hogan (Kilkenny), Michael ‘Brick’ Walsh (Waterford). I know, Brick wasn’t at his best against Tipperary in the Munster final but he wasn’t in his best position either. Toss-up here at the moment between O’Mahony and Hogan, so the final will have a huge bearing. Picking Brian Hogan.

7: Just the one again, apologies to all others, to Gavin O’Mahony (Limerick) especially. Has to be Padraic Maher (Tipperary).

8 and 9: Michael Fennelly (Kilkenny), Liam Rushe (Dublin), Shane McGrath (Tipperary), John McCaffrey (Dublin), Kevin Moran (Waterford), Nicky O’Connell (Clare). Could have named half-a-dozen more here, all of about the same level but none as outstanding as the two chosen — Fennelly and Rushe.

10: Noel McGrath (Tipperary), Michael Rice (Kilkenny), John Conlan (Clare). Conlan really stepped up for Clare this year, Noel is the kind of guy you want in the trenches with you when the going gets toughest, and Rice is such a cerebral player, and so consistent. Final will play a major part here. For now, Noel McGrath.

11: Ryan O’Dwyer (Dublin), John Mullane (Waterford), Declan Hannon (Limerick). Okay, young Declan only appeared on a few occasions for Limerick, this being his Leaving Cert year, but is a star of the future. Of the other two, tough call, but going for John.

12: Conal Keaney (Dublin), Patrick Maher (Tipperary), Pauric Mahony (Waterford), Henry Shefflin (Kilkenny). Really tough one this year in this position, four outstanding candidates, but going for Keaney on the basis of the impact he had for Dublin all season. Henry can still get it though!

13: Eoin Kelly (Tipperary), Dotsy O’Callaghan (Dublin), Colin Fennelly (Kilkenny), Damien Hayes (Galway). Again, tough call, but Eoin Kelly’s shooting from placed balls against Dublin, even when well held in general play, was outstanding, so gets the nod.

14: Eoin Larkin (Kilkenny), Kevin Downes (Limerick), Paudie O’Sullivan (Cork), Shane Walsh (Waterford), Joe Canning (Galway), John O’Brien (Tipperary) — the list goes on! Really impressed with Paudie O’Sullivan’s progress this year, but going for Eoin.

15: Paul Ryan (Dublin), Patrick Horgan (Cork), Lar Corbett (Tipperary), Richie Hogan (Kilkenny), Conor McGrath (Clare). Again, an abundance of riches, but the gong has to go to Lar.

Read more: http://examiner.ie/sport/gaa/if-the-all-stars-were-picked-today-166057.html#ixzz1WgWrF4BC[/left][/left]

6/4 Kilkenny is a great bet.

From a Limerick perspective I think Donal O’Grady was unlucky not to get a mention. He was a standout preformer until the Dublin game when he was curtailed by injury.

There couldn’t have been much between Condon and Collins, but I suppose Condons couple of errors in the Waterford game will count against him.

Would definitely have picked Hannon over Mullane. I felt personally that Mullane has regressed a bit and doesn’t seem to have the same drive in the legs that he once had. Still had a good year but I felt Hannon was better.

Tommy Walsh getting in ahead Wayne Mac is a joke too.

I think that any hopes that Wayne had of being in the mix for an All Star went by the wayside in the dublin game where he was well off the pace

what exactly has brick walsh done this year to merit selection?

i just don’t understand someone paying o’flynn for his opinions.

if Brick, Tommy Walsh or John Mullane didn’t puck a ball all year you’d still have pundits clamouring to include them in their All Star selections.

Anyone going to this?
I was and I have a ticket but not sure I could be arsed now. I might just drink the €80 instead.

You are willing to go watch Ireland play shit soccer in a half empty stadium, but you won’t go to watch what could be an all time classic hurling final?

I generally haven’t missed too many All-Ireland Hurling finals and still may go across town to it on Sunday but the 80 squid has me for the first time ever saying I’m really not too bothered about it.

On the All Stars, Murphy & Corcoran both deserve corner back spots imo.

makes sense - proper professional sport is more important that agriindigenous pastimes

I’ve a free ticket for the soccer. €80 lids is the detterent. I might still go depending on who else is going.

I’m not going. Too expensive and TASE covered the other factors.

O’Flynn’s nomination of Tommy Walsh unopposed is a joke. He’s played two games up to now. Whoever loses between Conor O’Mahony and Brian Hogan should be moved across to that spot or even move Gavin O’Mahony across. I don’t like the way O’Flynn constantly refers to players by their first names. You’re not writing about your mates and this isn’t Match of the Day. Maintain a bit of journalistic integrity FFS and refer to them by their surnames.

€80 is too dear alright. The extra €5 hike in the price of tickets is worth around 350,000 to the GAA coffers. I based that on their being 12,000 tickets allocated to sponsors, players etc, a figure which I just plucked off my head.

Also 70,000 tickets @ €80 a pop is €5.6m

you haven’t factored in Hill 16 and the tickets are €40 a pop for that

How many fit on the Hill?

Also it’s ridiculous having to pay €80 to sit in the Davin Stand/Canal End

Runty, Mullane should have been MOTM against KK.
Him being selected here is fair enough to me.

[quote=“cluaindiuic, post: 593529”]
Runty, Mullane should have been MOTM against KK.
Him being selected here is fair enough to me.
[/quote]And he got 2-2 v limerick