Official 2011 All Ireland Hurling Championship Thread

Waterford cowardly bastards still trying for points at this stage. :rolleyes:

Their game is based around physically domianting the middle third of the field, physically strangling the life out of teams when the don’t have the ball and workrate, in the last couple of games they have changed it up a bit and tried to isolate the inside men and add a bit more movement but for the past three years this has been what the team has been based around.

15 tommy walshs will always beat 15 kevin morans.

You make a valid point about galway. However these are big men that can hurl. one of the reasons kk were so dominant is that they had big men who had savage skill, im thinking of shefflin, comerford, larkin etc. thats a potent combination.

You can have all the size and conditioning you want but without skill/technique its not worth a fuck. no point in being first to ball if you cant pick it quickly, no point being under a high ball with size advantage if you cant catch it etc.

i was at the dublin kk match, and dublin just lacked the little flicks, pure technique etc.

As I said at the very beginning you need both these days to survive, of course Tommy Walsh will beat 15 Kevin Morans, Tommy despite his small stature is far from a light and as wirey as fuck. The fact is the top teams have both the skill and the strength these days and that is why you need both to compete and as I said the days of having the likes of a Kevin Broderick or Seanie McGrath our lording it in the 40 are long gone

:lol:. Mcyntires whole approach was based around getting the ball to Joe Canning. Quit spoofing lad

Just look at the workrate when the don’t have the ball, especially their halfbackline and midfield the amount of third man tackling they do, agree that their forward play is fairly one dimensional but their game is based far more on brute force than finesse

Lazurus getting badly shown up here,nothing new there then.

Chewy,
i was picking up on a point kev was making where he was going on about conditioning programmes in light of cork’s defeat to galway. Galway hammered us because they have better more skillful players. All intercounty teams have good conditioning or are conditioned to a pretty good standard, that goes without saying.

RTE should be showing highlights from Galway/Cork. Watch out for Burkes point towards the end and the handpass that set it up from JC

Pukes argument is worse than I though if the likes of this fella be backing him up.

I don’t know about that there are a lot of lads doing strength and conditioning who don’t have any qualifications or experience, Clare have had Fiach O’Loughlin doing it for the past two seasons and his only expertise in this area would be that he played rugby to a half decent level and certainly looked like a side that were lacking physical sharpness and were quiet callow. The difference a strength and conditioning coach could make to a player/team is huge given that the game is played at such at intensity these days.

It is no coincidence that the likes of Daly, Cody, Sheedy, McIntyre put so much emphasis on it

[quote=“Lazarus, post: 592399”]
RTE should be showing highlights from Galway/Cork. Watch out for Burkes point towards the end and the handpass that set it up from JC[/quote]
im sure its down purely to conditioning

If it’s not too hard could you try speaking in proper English please? Ape.

another analogy - did barca win the champions league because they were the best conditioned team or because they had the more skillful players. if barca and man utd swapped strength and conditioning coaches would the result be closer or the same?

two completely different games, your comparing apples and oranges, you cannot compare the physical attributes needed to be an intercounty hurler and that of a footballer

You cannot replace skill with strength but the fact is that the top teams in hurling at the moment have both and place a lot of emphasis on physical conditioning, you can say it doesn’t matter and skill will always win out but a team with both with beat a team relying on pure skill every time

Congratulation to Mullach Ide and Noddy :clap:

Cossmiserations to Hangblaa and Cian :frowning:

ok, what if waterford and tipp swapped strength and conditioning coaches would that make a difference or cork and galway?

Good to have you back puke :smiley:

[quote=“chewy louie, post: 592405”]
two completely different games, your comparing apples and oranges, you cannot compare the physical attributes needed to be an intercounty hurler and that of a footballer

You cannot replace skill with strength but the fact is that the top teams in hurling at the moment have both and place a lot of emphasis on physical conditioning, you can say it doesn’t matter and skill will always win out but a team with both with beat a team relying on pure skill every time[/quote]
i thought i cleared this up. im not saying that it does not matter as all teams have strength and conditioning coaches. im saying that if a lad says that a competing hurling team is beaten because of poor strength and conditioning as oppose to accepting that the other team have better skillful players then they are talking a load of bollix.

Don’t know enough about the other three but I do know that Cian O’Neill is a class act. No it wouldn’t make much of a difference as I said you need both these days and Tipp have better hurlers than Waterford and the same with Galway Cork but the point is that physical conditioning is a huge part of intercounty hurling these days and if it isn’t up to scratch then you are already at a disadvantage to the other teams and to dismiss it as a load of bollocks is well off the mark

But it could be a matter of both, if a team isn’t as skillful as other sides they can bridge the gap somewhat by training like demons and having themselves in tyhe best possible physical condition to make up for shortcomings, just look at kildare in the football, but if both your skill and conditioning aren’t up to standard then you end up getting well beaten