Official 2011 All Ireland Hurling Championship Thread

From the Times’ match report:

“But then Cody whistled deeply when informed his team had been awarded just six frees in the entire match. “Baffling” he elaborated. He didn’t need to say more.”

Dublin are going to turn the physicals beyond what KK did last September. There’ll be serious flaking here off the ball stuff and late challenges After the year Tipp have had I’m not sure they are ready for this. [quote=“Fitzy, post: 592969”]
Fagan,

You’re right that Dublin will be a more physical challenge than anything Tipp have seen this year, expecially in the way they effectively hunt in packs. But Tipp are basing everything they do on reaching what would be a very physically demanding final against Kilkenny, having weathered the storm against them last year and been beaten down by them the year before. Any physicality that Dublin bring to the game, and no question they will, should not be a problem for Tipp, who will ,I’d expect, relish the fact that they get this kind of test in a semi. I don’t think Dublin will give them some fucking rattle Fagan, Tipp will give it back to them in spades.

Mullach, Fagan’s not saying Dublin are a better team, just that they’ll be a lot harder than anything Tipp have faced in the championship so far, which is probably correct.
[/quote]

You’re taking the piss now, Dublin are a tough enough team, but I haven’t seen them resort to playing dirty and don’t think they will. I think you may have a disliking of Anthony Daly that is clouding your judgement. He’s not that thick, he’s not going to send a team out to flake the shite out of Tipp, that would backfire spectacularly.

Wait and see. Drumcree learned from the master and as a manager will have been waiting for this for 8 years. A crack at Tipp in a winner tales all game. This won’t be about dirt it will be about playing Tipp on the absolute limit, the way Clare used to. [quote=“Fitzy, post: 592973”]

You’re taking the piss now, Dublin are a tough enough team, but I haven’t seen them resort to playing dirty and don’t think they will. I think you may have a disliking of Anthony Daly that is clouding your judgement. He’s not that thick, he’s not going to send a team out to flake the shite out of Tipp, that would backfire spectacularly.
[/quote]

Liam Lawlor got injured in the league and missed the Limerick match due to this and had very little training done in the lead up to the Munster final, if fit he and well he probably would have been first choice.

Ah here. Dublin aren’t as strong and physical as they like to make out. Limerick out fought them in most areas the last day with a team of young fellas.

I thought that might have been the case.

They obviously are Laz but Fagan seems to imply that Tipp will only win because Dublin have so many injuries.
It’s a recurring theme on this thread and it is quite clear that he doesn’t rate this Tipperary team ( or maybe he is just on the wind up).

Complacency is Tipps biggest worry next Sunday and that would be true even if Dublin were at full strength. For all Dublins improvement this year Tipp are still a level ahead of them, and evereyone else bar Kilkenny. Heres hoping to another great All Ireland Final between the two to paper over the cracks of an otherwise poor Championship.

David Treacy out for Sunday now as well.

TĂĄ muid goosed

Rushe aside I can’t see Dublin getting a foothold in the middle third of the field, they will probably have to move Ryan O’Dwyer to centre forward thus taking his goal threat away, I would expect Daly to go with a 2 man inside line and play an extra man back but it won’t make much of a difference except only to blunten Dublin’s attack. Tipp will go for goals early and could well exploit the Dublin full backline, Peter Kelly to his credit has done a fine job at three so far this year but all three opponents this year Canning, Larkin & Downes are three big men who all stayed centrally and looked for the ball to be fed into them which makes it somewhat easier to spoil as a 3, John O’Brein or Corbett will roam across the 22 and drift in towards the goals when a fellow tipp forward breaks a tackle in order give him an option, It will leave Kelly with some big decisions to make, does he follow his man or does he protect his goal, the one thing he can’t be if Dublin are to stand any chance is indecisive. Dublin will be physical and will go bald headed for every ball early on but Tipp are a composed side with 5 forwards all capable of putting up a score. They will win with a bit to spare by 7 or 8 points, could well be more depending on how the dublin full backline holds up

+1 to all that chewy
Up to yesterday I thought Tipp would hold their whisht a bit and not show the full hand (a la Munster Final) to Cody before the Final. Yesterday changed my mind a bit - I’d be sure they’ll go all out to prove their goalscoring ability and be pure clinical about this.

Was thinking no more than 8-10, but could be a lot more now with the patching up we have to do. Could well be a rout, but as long as it’s not a humiliation, i’ll be happy(ish)

Good analysis there Puke. What do you do with Lar and the rest of the Tipp FF line roaming about anywhere they want? You can’t make tactical mistakes like Waterford did, but you have to in some way man mark them.

Kelly has been excellent in fairness, especially given he’s an emergency third choice full back.

Oh dear :huh:

Sure if teams knew how to counteract it they would be doing it. i suppose it depends on the defenders you have, if you go man for man then you need your defenders to be 100% committed and to get out in front and win the ball, it is high risk as one mistake could well lead to a Tipp goal and they thrive on momentum. Kilkenny don’t have the pace in their backline to go man for man so will probably keep their fullbackline on the 21 and not be pulled out the field like they were in last years final and to try and avoid conceeding goals but then you need an almighty shift from your half forward line and midfield to stop the tipp half backline and midfield getting a grip and supplying their inside men with fast accurate ball. If you can shut down the likes of Padraid Maher & Shane McGrath then you are a long way towards beating tipp especillay with Brendan Maher struggling as this would require their half forward line to win their own ball which isn’t a strong point of thiers. It is Tipp’s all ireland to lose though as i don’t think kilkwnny have the players any more to contain them

All I am hoping for on Sunday is that we put up a good display and don’t get a hiding like Waterford got. I think if we do get a hiding it will set the development of the team back a bit. I wonder if the weather could have a hand in this, the badder the weather the better for Dublin. :slight_smile:

We could offer Cody a deal - some ‘damage’ to the Tipp fwds for a Leinster Final win next year :ph34r:

the only way to deal with rotating forwards is for defenders to play as selected and defend their zones. if you try to man mark, you end up with defenders playing a position that is alien to them e.g. brick walsh at corner back.

In order for this to work you need excellent communication between the six defenders.

I’d rather go man for man.
It takes a seriously well drilled defence to just defend the zones and there is too much liability for a man to be left free.

Runt,
the whole idea behind rotating forwards is to get defenders out of their comfort zone and into positions they are not use to. this envitably creates goal chances.

the best way of dealing with this is as i outlined above and any coach worth their salt would be working on this in training in Avs B games.