Official 2011 All Ireland Hurling Championship Thread

If you can’t see how rattled KK weer that day then i can’t have a discussion with you about it, it showed a weakness in them. Ok they were missing players and there are fore warned now, but they don’t take well to a team dishing it out to them.

I don’t think Waterford should be beating KK or anything, but having lived with them for the hardest part, you’d think they’d go all out guns blazing and try and really rattle them, even more. They eased off IMO or didn’t really believe they could win. KK were definitely there for the taking.

I can’t see them improving enough to win the final, but their performance at times against Dublin in LF was unreal, but that was a very weakened Dublin. Hard to know where they are at.

Doesn’t make them anymore correct. But i do understand what he’s saying about them be damned if they do and damned if they don’t.

My point is on the day Davy should have seen that KK were, while maybe there for the taking is too strong, they were certainly not at full tilt.

I have a big thing about a manager watching the game from the stand, i think it gives you a far better view of the game, the tactics being employed by opposition, the flow of the game and what areas are clearly weak/strong. I don’t think Davy, or anyone else for that matter, does anything for their team much being on the sideline roaring in at them or abuse at the ref. By all means have someone down there, but i just feel the guy who spends hours coning up with a plan, and is viewing games and other teams from that aerial view should be doing it for the game as well.

I know people may this this is mad, but there is a difference is watching a game at ground level and from a height.

Yes I have Fenway. I played senior hurling for 20 years.

would agree Kev. big time. its something creeping into soccer ever more, seeing a manager watch a game from the stands for the first half or so. Happens all the time in AFL, and you have head guys in American football at it too. You do see some teams place a selector or someone in the stands, but I definitley think it should be done in some shape or form. it gets a more overall view of the field and tactics and lineups.

the other thing that a good coach needs to be able to do is to take emotion or over run out of himself at times to be able to evaluate what is going on, to be able to be objective. You see Cody, and for 80% of the time he is there with his arms folded taking in what is going on. its very easy to get caught up in what the opposition player did to so and so, or what free the ref gave, or what player fumbled the ball, but you need to be able to sit back from it and be able to analyse a game in progress to make the switches changes etc.

And its there I feel Davy lets himself down. He gets caught up far too much in the over riding emotion of it all, and acts like a fan almost. there are times when it is inevitable for a manager to get caught up in it all, and there are times when it is good to do so, but it cant be happening for the whole game.

agree with that

howya tony browne :clap:

@ fagan, can you give some of the formations that you think are possible in hurling?

I think a certain amount of communication is important though, kev. You’re right about the roaring though, it reaches ludicrous levels in the GAA, at all grades. Lads just shouting for the sake of it with no real message being transmitted at all. On the subject of Davy I think his behaviour on the sideline reflects his own emphasis on emotional energy, which isn’t a good thing. You can get a performance powered by emotion from players every now and then, but to try and do it every day has an awful impact on the squad. There are few things worse than a coach ranting and raving about heart and passion and nobody in the room being able to take him seriously because they’ve heard it too many times before.

Could anyone tell me how many scores from frees or fouls in scoreable positions Tipp have given away in their matches so far this year? I’ve a feeling its high, even against waterford but just looking for confirmation.

On Waterford on Sunday, I agree with WTB to an extent that the way they set up made sense for them and this was evidenced by the fact that had Mullane scored that goal chance just before KK got their second then they would have been in the lead just before half time. Had he taken the point then they would only have been a point down. They had a spell of dominance during the first half, and their shooting and decision making let them down.

What was genuinely puzzling though, and left them open to the accusation that they were only interested in avoiding a hammering, is that they didn’t change it at any point in the second half when they clearly needed at least one goal. Even in the last 10 minutes, we counted 10 players inside their own 65 at one stage I think. It was very frustrating to watch.

[quote=“fenwaypark, post: 593137”]
@ fagan, can you give some of the formations that you think are possible in hurling?
[/quote]I’m sure it would be possible to play two sweepers behind the full back line for example. If I was lining out a team to play this Tipp team I’d give serious consideration to this approach.

Waterford scored 13 frees against them. [quote=“Mac, post: 593139”]
Could anyone tell me how many scores from frees or fouls in scoreable positions Tipp have given away in their matches so far this year? I’ve a feeling its high, even against waterford but just looking for confirmation.
[/quote]

and where would you get these two players from? would they be corner forwards, half forwards or midfielders? If they were forwards, would there be a danger that balls would be cleared to loose players out the field who would just continously pop the ball over the bar.

this is not gaelic football where possession is easier to maintain and work from the back up to the forwards.

You would most likely play with four forwards. The way Tipp play with the forwards pushing out the field to create space inside the area from the 40 to the opponents 70 tends to be crowded anyway so I’d take my chances on a corner back getting 4 or 5 free shots if it meant the full forwards not getting 4 or 5 free runs at goal. Furthermore the sweepers should be free men and have the time to select a decent clearance. [quote=“fenwaypark, post: 593143”]

and where would you get these two players from? would they be corner forwards, half forwards or midfielders? If they were forwards, would there be a danger that balls would be cleared to loose players out the field who would just continously pop the ball over the bar.

this is not gaelic football where possession is easier to maintain and work from the back up to the forwards.
[/quote]

[quote=“Fagan ODowd, post: 593142”]
Waterford scored 13 frees against them.
[/quote]Mac it is worth pointing out that these were easy frees to give. The referee wasn’t influencing the result by giving them. In a close game that figure would be halved.

Fagan,
I really dont know what to say. To be honest, you seem like a nice fella so i’ll say no more.

Even if they don’t admit it which they won’t Waterford’s subconscious mindset last Sunday would have been defeat with honour. The last thing Waterford hurling needs is another high profile trouncing in a final, so last Sundays result will have suited everyone. [quote=“braz83, post: 593140”]
On Waterford on Sunday, I agree with WTB to an extent that the way they set up made sense for them and this was evidenced by the fact that had Mullane scored that goal chance just before KK got their second then they would have been in the lead just before half time. Had he taken the point then they would only have been a point down. They had a spell of dominance during the first half, and their shooting and decision making let them down.

What was genuinely puzzling though, and left them open to the accusation that they were only interested in avoiding a hammering, is that they didn’t change it at any point in the second half when they clearly needed at least one goal. Even in the last 10 minutes, we counted 10 players inside their own 65 at one stage I think. It was very frustrating to watch.
[/quote]

Well you could just go man for man with them and Let them score a bag full of goals and see how you manage then.

For example with the players Waterford have at their disposal how would you try to curb Tipp’s scoring threat?[quote=“fenwaypark, post: 593146”]

Fagan,
I really dont know what to say. To be honest, you seem like a nice fella so i’ll say no more.
[/quote]

fagan im astounded that a lad who played senior for 20 years would come up with playing two sweepers behind the full back line.

Fenway - people were astounded when Alf Ramsay decided to play without wingers. The inability to think about changing formations in sport is nothing new[quote=“fenwaypark, post: 593149”]

fagan im astounded that a lad who played senior for 20 years would come up with playing two sweepers behind the full back line.
[/quote]