Official All Ireland Minor and U20 Hurling & Football Thread (Part 1)

Sure it handy for them to win minor AI’s when they only have to play 2 games.

The stage must surely be set for third coming of Mattie Murphy. Got a raw deal the last time he was in charge in 1999-2000 I felt. Won the league, beat Tipp, and ran Kilkenny closer than any team that year, well if you call 8 points close but Kilkenny were miles ahead of everybody that year.

Listened to a post match interview with Mattie today, sounded pissed off. Kept saying that he was was going to keep trying to win underage titles with Galway despite some people saying that it didn’t help Glaway hurling in the long run. Hard to believe that some people dont want their county to win AI titles! Tom Dempsey pointed out that its not winning underage titles that was holding Galway back rather the management of these players once they get to senior level.

That Padraic Brehony was magnificent for Galway today. Very Brendan Maher-like.

When are Galway entering Leinster for U-18 and U-21 hurling?

[quote=“Watch The Break, post: 577909”]
That Padraic Brehony was magnificent for Galway today. Very Brendan Maher-like.
[/quote]He was for sure. But Dublin couldn’t play the number 11 Glynn at all. It was like boys against men. He physically destroyed any man that tried to mark him.

Will be interesting to see how this policy works out for Galway. If they commit to the individuals they might well develop them into the type of player they need. If not they’ll wind up with waves of mullockers too reliant on their strength to ever cut it at the top level.

I dunno. Joe Canning is a big man, as is Shane Kavanagh, Tony Og Regan, Cyril Donnellan, etc. Size is not their problem. Today’s KK team is not exactly massive. I’d be afraid (well I don’t give a fuck really) that some of those big awkward lads who dominate at minor level will just be big awkward lads a senior level who are very limited and not that effective. Very few lads cut it at senior level without being good enough stick men.

We have a 12 man committee sorting ou

Fear not, at this moment our 12 man committee is solving the mystery of the lost generation of former underage Galway greats.

:ph34r:

is

Actually thought it was a pretty poor game today. Conditions had a lot to do with it I suppose but Galway’s selection of a team of giants is just as responsible.

The trouble is the development of a big man is actually a speciality, the Aussies are big into it. You can’t train some of these lads the same way as the rest of the average sized lads. In most cases they have to spend more time working on skills etc.

beating the munster and leinster champions isnt earning it?

Its about time our minors and 21’s were moved into the Leinster champ.

Our seniors weren’t long finding out how good they really are since they arrived there.

very unfair on Galway alright

Maybe they might win it anyway but they surely have an advantage in that they only have to play two matches, and their first game is in July. Meanwhile the other county teams have to train, play matches and do their leaving etc. Dublin had to play 4 games i think to get to the final? Same in the U21, it is not a level playing field for all teams.

1. Makes absolutely no sense having Galway in Leinster at senior level and not underage. The same logic and rules should apply to all three. Antrim as well.

Is there a case for having a “rest of Ulster” and a “rest of Connacht” team to compete in the senior championship and/or at underage level? Obviously it would go against the traditional county system and would be difficult from a logistical point of view but it would be an interesting experiment. It would give players from lesser counties a genuine chance to compete at a higher level.

There was something mooted earlier in the year about county amalgamations joining together to compete in the Christy Ring or what not

Having regional amalgamations would be the logical thing to do alright, although there would be logistical problems, county boards wouldn’t want it and there would probably be quarrels over finances. Of course it would never happen as the GAA doesn’t do radical upheavals or fresh thinking.

You obviously didnt hear “Mayhem” blaring out on the loudspeakers in Croker yesterday.