Official All Ireland Minor and U20 Hurling & Football Thread (Part 1)

Amazing this issue is getting worse. Well in my experience its getting better in a numbers sense, but worse for the individuals who get caught up.

Have a feeling i know who the 15 year old is involved in this case she talks about. Sad really.

“A prominent intercounty hurler of 15 years of age with a drink problem”

I’m not sure whats the worst part of that statement.

Overall a bit of an overreaction imo, a wont someone please think of the children thing. “Peer pressure made me did it boss”.

Thats quite an ignorant take on it. It may escape middle class Ireland (which this forum is mostly full of it seems), but there are huge social challenges in Ireland, in the GAA and with the youth.

Not sure what it has to do with the GAA, apparently its his non-GAA playing friends who are ‘forcing’ him to drink.

He’s a GAA player, who could be a star, but could be ruined by drink. I*'d say it has alot to do with it.

Do you want them to just do nothing? Many GAA people have been saved from bad times by the sport or the individuals organising the sport.

agree with kev on this. yeah its bad they have drink or worse problems, but any sort of sporting outlet can have a huge influence on a young persons outlook and what they do with tehir social lives. I know of a good young u15 footballer, who would could make it, but he is drinking and taking drugs pretty much every week, and is generally fooking his life up. and its terrible to see. a lad I know was much the same when he was younger, and in the last few years came back playing again, and tells anyone who will listen to change, as it fooked his life right up. he is in his 30’s now and loves playing, and wonders what he’d be like if he didnt turn things around.

granted that article is a bit OTT and ‘think of the children’, but maybe thats what is needed for some action.

bizarre, he plays gga, its his hobby,he is probably shit at proper sports- why shouldnt he drink

Because he’s too young and can’t control it and its ruining his life?!?

TASE has a point though. Why is this the GAAs problem? It’s not a social service. [quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 577933”]

Because he’s too young and can’t control it and its ruining his life?!?
[/quote]

It is not the GAA’s problem. Often sport, be it GAA or Soccer is the only thing in some communities for kids to do.

the arrogance of this putz is sickening- most kids hate gga so its not an option

It may not be the GAA’s “problem”, but it would be good for them if they acknowledged it and maybe attacked the issue by being proactive. They have enough money, more money than every sport and councilling service in Ireland put together. It would be a good thing to do, and good PR.

But then the GAA is a reactive rather than proactive organisation.

It actually is Fagan.

It’s a sports organisation with limited resources. It is extraordinary that anyone might think it has a role in the treatment of alcohol related disorders or addiction counselling. In most counties they can’t even run off a junior B league and here you want them to take over from the HSE who to be fair probably couldn’t run off a junior B league either [quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 577938”]

It actually is Fagan.
[/quote]

My point is its a social service. And sports organisation’s all over the world go around and help their participants in similar ways. I’m really not sure why you don’t think it can do it.

And the GAA has the resources, to say anything else is simply outlandish small mindedness. Are you a Club treasurer or something? You certainly have a small town narrow minded view on this subject similar to that of the local club treasurer.

i agree strongly with kev here. The GAA is the social fabric in many communities. Simple things, like getting people to talk to an u14/u16 team as a group can make a huge difference. im sure if a lad like sean og was telling lads at that age that its okay/cool to say no to drunken debaucery it would have a significant impact on many a young fella.

So ye would entrust the psychological care of teenagers to Christy Cooney?

No, but i’d leave it to Pairic Duffy.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 577943”]

No, but i’d leave it to Pairic Duffy.
[/quote]So you’d entrust an organisation that makes much of it’s revenue from alcohol sponsorship and many of whose clubs generate the greater part of their revenue from bar sales and take the field in jerseys emblazoned with the names of licensed premises to impart an anti alcohol message?

That shouldn’t confuse the poor drink addled youngsters at all.

who said anything about that? its about awareness and respect ffs.