Official All Ireland Minor and U20 Hurling & Football Thread (Part 1)

“How oft do my thoughts in their faaanccy taake fliight…”

Cc @gilgamboa

1 Like

Frank Murphy’s blueprint for football bearing fruit @dodgy_keeper

1 Like

Corkness

1 Like

Frank has overseen a silent revolution of Cork football but the haterz will never admit that.

Hope his retirement is going well.

Never in doubt mickeeeeeee boiiiiiiiiiii

There it is. Up the Rebels.

Sickener had two bites at it

Well done caaark

3 Likes

A fine group that finish the year with no medal despite seeming to have both the Connacht final and Al-Ireland won. Might be the type of hurt that drives them on.

Its so different from senior few will ever get a chance at a medal again, three minor finals lost in four years is it? Producing players at least

Theres 4 off that side with genuine star potential, 4 more than the last time we actually won a minor

The defending for corks equaliser was shocking. 64th minute and two defenders left it to each other and yer man is out the gap. Keeper didn’t do well either but he had to come out

Corbett > Culhane

Came out way too far…it fucked the two defenders up

Fair play pal. Was a great game. Ye scored two absolute worldies thought ye had killed us off both times. This Cork team have the minerals however

1 Like

That Cork goal in extra time should surely have been a squareball?

I know that minor was switched to under 17 at intercounty level for a reason as not to interfere with the leaving cert cycle but I wonder would it make any sense to allow the likes of Kerry and other developing counties to select both under 17s and under 18s for their minor sides. Would surely make them far more competitive and help them develop. Let their under 17s play Celtic Challenge and All Ireland B, while the best of the 17s and their under 18s play in the regular minor championship.

1 Like

Time to marginalise U17, and make U19 the only show in town. Do away with U20 and we’re away in a hack.

1 Like

That’s the long term aim by all accounts. The football counties are looking for a celtic challenge style competition. That will trigger the end of under 17 minor championship.

I dont think an under 19 championship will happen. More than likely stay at under 20 so to avoid issues with the LC.

Clare changed their whole development squad structure this year. Withdrew from the under 14 Forrestal this year to accomodate it.

Previously they would have had close to 100 under 14 in development squads over the spring, this would then be cut down over the summer to get a panel to two together for the Forrestal/Sonny Walsh.

With the advent of the Celtic Challenge and now the under 17 minor championship the realisation was made that 90+ lads are going to be needed to fill out these squads so the 100 lads remained in the various development squads. This will be continued at 15s and 16s level. Obviously the cream of these lads will play in the arrabawn but as many lads as possible will be kept in development squads for as long as possible.

Can only be a good thing as far as I can see.

Laois and Dublin played out a cracker in Portlaoise on Saturday last in the John Kerins pre season U20F tournament. Dublin won it by 2 with a goal 3 mins into injury time. Not sure how many dublin were missing, Archer started, classy bit of stuff. Laois were down 4 starters but had a pretty strong team aside. Laois manager Eddie Kinsella (Former inter county referee and bearer of a lovely friendly nickname which many here will be aware of) will be happy enough with what he saw.