Official All Ireland Minor and U20 Hurling & Football Thread (Part 1)

This kind of went completely under the radar!

It was until you mentioned it. There goes the long grass.

Big test for Derek this evening. Two strikes and he’ll be out.

Kildare 2-16
Laois 0-15

FT

Ruh oh Derek

Great few days for Kildare hurling

Kildare miles better. O’Reilly, Maher, Dolan and one or two more very good. Laois never looked like getting a goal except for some shakey Kildare defending of long balls in once or twice.

Missed two goal chances in 3 minutes first half spell. Kildare full value aside from that

They absolutely annihilated Carlow last week in the minor too.

The amount of outsiders taking handy coin from Laois every year, for practically nothing in return, is staggering.

6 Likes

All those Cuddy’s of the Making Big Bank variety?

You’d worry for Laois … they are attracting a certain type with their generous offerings of coin …they’re a perfect example of how throwing money at it doesn’t guarantee success…

3 Likes

What I found absolutely baffling about Laois was their lap of honour after being beat by 10 points in an All Ireland Quarter final by Tipperary 2 years ago.

I just can’t get around the mentality. I believe they celebrated like lunatics after it for a month.

You’d wonder would the evisceration of counties like Kildare in the football for the last 2 decades, primarily by Dublin, have lead to them turning to hurling more recently?

Will hurling benefit from dublin’s football dominance?

Dublin avenge their minor defeat of 3 years ago to Wicklow with a 1-12 to 1-08 win in the U20. Was a two point game until injury time and Wicklow drove a penalty over the bar, had a couple of goal chances cleared off the line and hit the post with a couple of late frees. Real pity they couldn’t take the scalp.

Wexford lose out by a point to Offaly which is also a great pity.

Wicklow could have no luck for what they did to young Delaney the last day out

I passed the Wicklow U-20 bus there earlier (2 buses actually)

1 Like

Just in the door, exciting finish to this, but offaly probably the better team. Still, if we had another minute…

1 Like

What did they do to him? They seemed to have a few injuries themselves. Actually looked better than Dublin in the segment I saw.

Broke his jaw in two places as he was coming down with a kick out. No free. Went in and kicked a point to level it. Won the kick out, scored winning goal.

Wicklows best player wasn’t available this year due to concentration on his athletics career.