Official All Ireland Minor and U20 Hurling & Football Thread (Part 1)

40 point beating? That’s a serious statement of intent from Cork. Is Donal Og still minor manager?

No, but Niall Mac is involved

It’s a UCC Management Team

Noel Furlong is in charge. Been with rebel og for a few years. Have managed a good few club teams aswell. Well regarded.

1 Like

He has a fair track record. Good to see fella like him getting the gig.

Is he full time GDA??

1 Like

Dr Wesley is there too.

13 Likes

He is. No expense spared

This time last yr Cork looked mighty impressive hammering Clare before bombing v Limerick. I say every nail they were driving into the Clare coffin was being welcomed by Limerick.

He was ran out of Douglas a few yrs ago. Has plenty to prove IMO.

Douglas more of the problem there.

1 Like

True but was it Kingston who turned them around last yr? They were v close to beating Blackrock.

1 Like

But did’nt, same old story.

Who knows. This group were fairly let down and they weren’t given much of a chance going into tonight.

When covid hit in march 2020 when they were under 16 by decree of the ayatollah the rug was pulled from under them and left idle for 9 months while all other counties were doing online S&C and skills training, add to that no under 16 county championship took place last year either. The players were put in an impossible position and have been badly let down.

As I said the new management went with 70 odd lads in December and I am told they did a lot of work over zoom during the second lockdown but had too much ground to make up when lockdown was lifted and were miles behind in terms of strength and speed of hurling.

Clare had relatively decent minor sides who were well prepared under Sean Doyle in 2017/2018 and again under Fergal Lynch in 2019, five from that group are in the senior team’s championship 26 with another 4 or 5 who will be good seniors in the not too distant future too.
Not many liked Lynch’s style of Davy ball hurling but he had them well prepped and ready for battle. That winter when he met with the treasurer to put plans in place for 2020 he was told that his budget would be half compared to the year just gone. He rightly walked away.
As I have said previously, any coach with any ambitious or low tolerance for bullshit has no interest getting involved in underage coaching under the current set up. Donal Moloney is over the under 15s, he must have the patience of a saint. They sooner the current executive is blown up and the keys to the development squads handed over to Moloney the better.

3 Likes

Paddy Stapleton was creaming himself over Ben O’Connor in commentary. Said he’ll be the answer to Corks halfback senior woes going forward. I tend to agree. He’s got that x-factor. Any lad that turns down out half on the PBC SCT to hurl with his county is OK by me.

2 Likes

Joyce is the centre back the seniors are crying out for. He is Ronan Curran mark 2. Ben O Connor is class aswell.

Joyce has zero pace. Eaten alive by one of the Walsh’s from Kanturk in a minor match for his club last yr. 4-3 or something he ended up scoring.

Ah here.

what?

If really believe that , pack in watching hurling. The kid is a star. Centre back on winning harty cup team when in TY. Centre back on winning all ireland u20 team while underage again next year. Zero pace @Turenne

1 Like