Official All Ireland Minor and U20 Hurling & Football Thread (Part 1)

Another point, look at this years Limerick Minor panel and the spread of clubs. Only two each from Na Piarsaigh, Kilmallock and Doon. No one from the Well. Don’t know whether they are world beaters but it has to be good for the lads from the smaller clubs to get into the professional set ups.

LIMERICK : Mark Field, Joe Fitzgerald, Darragh Langan (all Monaleen); Pierce Connery and Shane O’Brien (both Kilmallock); Ewan Dillon and Ryan O’Neill (both Effin); David Fitzgerald and Ciaran McMahon (both Kildimo-Pallaskenry); Cian Scully and William Dore (both Dromin-Athlacca-Banogue); Vince Harrington and Wayne Kearns (both Na Piarsaigh); Con Hayes and John Whelan (both Newcastle West); Killian Quaid and Euan Sheridan (both Murroe-Boher); Tomas Lynch and Kevin Maher (both Doon); Killian Ahern (Blackrock), JJ Condon (Knockaderry), James Connolly (Staker Wallace), Liam Dennehy (Glenroe), Mike Fitzgibbon (Cappamore), Harry Fox (Hospital-Herbertstown), Mikey Gavin (Ballybrown), Paddy Kennedy (Garryspillane), Rian O’Byrne (Crecora-Manister), Cian O’Carroll (Croagh-Kilfinny), Michael O’Riordan (Bruff), Mark Riordan (Castletown-Ballyagran), Gavin Rowsome (Ahane).

2 Likes

I’m above it this morning. It’s a lovely day here in alderley Edge

A good number of years ago Limerick were playing kk in the league in the Gaelic grounds, I can’t recall were kk on the way in or the way out but Cody strolled passed us from the bus into the stadium and my father asked would he say hello to my grandmother a Kilkenny woman, and he turned and came over and greet her. You’d swear she had met the pope, she was beaming. A gentleman.

5 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Jaysus I never heard of a few of those clubs

2006 I’m guessing. Believe it or not that’s the last time Limerick hosted Kilkenny at the LITGG. Draw match. That was the last time before 2020 that a team went unbeaten for the season

1 Like

Martinstown. JP country. Over the road from Kilmallock.

Staker Wallace is a famous club and epitomises new Limerick

2 Likes

They’d be a feeder club for Kilmallock historically :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That sounds right. Good memory.

1 Like

Some lads develop later. Attitude and application probably bigger factors than transfer?

Maybe but I doubt he would have been given the chance for Clare had he still been hurling at junior a level which is made up of 80% + of second or third teams. His performances for Sixmilebridge definitely enhanced his reputation and showed he was one of the standout club hurlers in the county.

Even when he did get his chance at intercounty it took him three years to really get up to speed. Another lesson there no doubt, very few lads are to the manor born and time is needed to get up to speed but it is a luxury very few get.

1 Like

The fact he first got his chance as a fully physically developed 24/25 year helped. Too many young lads of 20/21 are thrown into senior inter county and spat out as they ain’t up to the physicality of it.

1 Like

Conditioning of a couple of the Galway lads looked way off. The pace of the Tipp/Cork game looked way higher.

Well, I really wish the issue was not a big one in Kilkenny but it seems like it is, looking at various examples. Then again, there is a broader issue in the county with lads not training on in general between Minor and U21/U20. The same pattern is there at the moment even for lads from a (strong) Senior club.

What was CM’s original club? Not easy to discern online.

True enough. But you will always have outliers. And it took GH quite a while to rev up.

1 Like

I think so. Transfers always a problem, as Nicky English once wisely remarked.

1 Like

It was Ennistymon.

There is no ‘transfer’ dynamic in Kilkenny, since the 1950s. By and large, transfers are frowned upon. The controversy over a recent set of cases spoke volumes in this regard.

Interesting, thanks. Why did he not hurl with Kilmaley?