Official All Ireland Minor and U20 Hurling & Football Thread (Part 1)

He would have played with Ennistymon as a kid and “moved” to the Bridge for hurling!!

True enough. Michael Fennelly was 25 when he grabbed hold of the reins in 2010. TJ Reid was 24 going on 25 when he did the same in 2012.

1 Like

To quote Pat Fitz when he was asked about his contract length last year " you’re a smart guy, figure it out"

He is a teacher in Lisdoonvarna as far as I know and has never resided in Sixmilebridge.

I am told by friends in Clare that there is a theory about Shane Meehan being named as a close contact after league tie with Wexford, a theory centred on SM declining to transfer from The Banner to Sixmilebridge.

It’s a theory. There was a rumour doing the rounds last year about him transferring alright but I doubt there was a whole lot of substance to it.

He is back playing football with Ennistymon these days I believe.

Literally took 30 seconds of googling.

For years – not sure of dynamic nowadays – promising hurlers in Cork, if not from a strong club, transferred to one – usually in the city. There are examples going back to 1920s. Later on, Charlie McCarthy was originally Redmonds and John Horgan originally Passage. Part of Justin McCarthy’s oddity was staying with Passage. More recently, Wayne Sherlock moved from Mahon to Blackrock.

I do not really want to list out young Kilkenny hurlers of recent years of whom I am thinking.

My grandfather often used to tell me about a full back from Buttevant who Cork pretty much refused to pick until they had no choice due to injury and he was the bones of 30. He went on to win multiple all Ireland’s and was the standout full back in the country for a number of years.

He had an unusual name from what I recall which escapes me. Think it was back in the 40s or 50s.

Batt Thornhill.

Your grandfather was correct.

2 Likes

That’s the man

Well, I was rushing but Ennistymon does not seem to be on CM’s Wikipedia page, say, which notes he was born in Lahinch. Was not implying anyone was trying to hide anything.

1 Like

Cody’s core gift is as a judge of character. Remember that when he was teaching he acquired a data base of what every young lad in the county was like as regards background and character from the time every young lad in the county was eight or nine.

That sounds a bit creepy

6 Likes

I was about to say it sounded very sinister. Also I’m dubious as to whether that’s true.

Fuck off.

Rotten with JP’s money.

Some set up over there.

Who are you measuring us against?

Lads where is the VOD for the Cork/Tipp game last night on TG4? Having a hard time finding it.

I’d imagine its moreso that Cody would see a young lad that’s decent at hurling and ask around about what his attitude is like and make a mental note of it. Yerman made it sound like he has a folder full of details on every 8 year old in the county