Official All Ireland Minor and U20 Hurling & Football Thread (Part 1)

How much will you bet on that.

Yes. They are merged at underage. The club is called Michael Cusack’s. Presumably in honour of the man that witnessed a 17 a side match between the two parishes in 1870. The first recorded game of hurling afaik.

Hurling runs very deep in those parts.

5 Likes

I never knew any of that.

Both very rural areas, so they would have trouble fielding teams at underage on their own.

Beagh definitely bat above their average considering the pick they have. For Kilbacenty survival is success. Both parishes have produced some fair good hurlers over the years.

3 Likes

There’s a fair few east county rural clubs out on an evolutionary limb. It’s a fact of life and employment really.

1 Like

Seems like only one of the Derry minor side who won the 2020 AI last week is underage this year. Seems quite unusual.

Derry

1. Kian McGonigle (Dungiven)

2. Patrick McGurk (Lavey), 7. Lee Brady (Bellaghy), 2. Adam McGonigle (Glen).

3. Donncha Gilmore (Steelstown), 6. Eoin McEvoy (Magherafelt), 4. Connor Sheils (Desertmartin).

4. Dan Higgins (Magherafelt), 9. Patrick O’Kane (Dungiven).

5. Jody McDermott (Glen), 11. Matthew Downey (Lavey), 5. Mark Doherty (Newbridge).

6. Niall O’Donnell (Ballinderry), 14. Lachlan Murray (Desertmartin), 13. Charlie Diamond (Bellaghy).

Subs

1. Calum Downey (Lavey) for Higgins (half-time, temp)

2. Calum Downey (Lavey) for Diamond (38)

3. Jude Moore (Greenlough) for McGonigle (49)

4. Ryan McEldowney (Desertmartin) for McDermott (59)

Currently three big amalgamations. Tynagh-AbbeyDuniry, Kiltormer/Mullagh and the most recent, Fr.Joe Walsh’s (Killimor/Meelick Eyrecourt)

1 Like

Apparently there isn’t an underage hurling club in Ballinasloe at all these days, lads from the town are hurling with rural clubs including 1 or 2 amalgamations you listed there. That is a sorry state of affairs and needs to be corrected fairly quickly.

1 Like

Ballinasloe produces feck all these days in hurling or football considering the size of the place. Seems to be producing rugby players if anything.

I think there are a handful of lads living in the town on various County underage panels at the minute but all playing with different clubs. The rugby club is at nothing either sure, they struggle to get teams fielded. It’s just that lads can come through Garbally to the Connacht academy.

Horse Devlin has two young lads starting on the Tyrone minor team tonight. The elder lad is the captain.

Ballinasloe always struggled to produce anything of note in hurling, in my memory. It’s hard to comprehend how poor the town is at sport in general.

1 Like

Didn’t they have a lad on the football panel a few years back?

Think he played fullback against Mayo in the il fated game in 2013. He was never seen of again.

The town hasn’t given us anything since John ‘Tull’ Dunne. A wasteland.

It gave us route 66

James Shaughnessy I think? Was on a few successful Galway underage teams.

I believe he relocated to Dubai and sells retro football boots online now for a living.

Ya that’s the lad.

Actually, just after checking there.

It was a lad called Keith Kelly from Ballinasloe that played in that game. I have no memory of him at all tbh. I do have a recollection of Shaughnessy.

Cyril Dunne? Barry Brennan was a fine footballer.

Don’t forget the big one tonight, Limerick v Cork Munster U20 Final at 7:30pm

3 Likes

99% of the forum will be glued to it.

3 Likes