Official All Ireland Minor and U20 Hurling & Football Thread (Part 1)

What’s their beef with Tally?

His negative style of play or is there more to it than that?

Tally and his likes should be ran

2 Likes

It wouldn’t be style of play, they were hardly the most expansive themselves in Croke Park 18 months ago. It’s a problem that goes back before Tally to be fair, and I don’t know the full detail. Kilcoo would be more clannish than your average club, and I think they wanted to focus on winning an Ulster. The fact Down were a bit of a rabble made it easy for them to stay away from it.

2 Likes

He is gone thankfully, should never have been let near a proper football county like Down.

3 Likes

When you are from a Club like Kilcoo that is chasing Ulsters and All Ireland’s it is normal enough to focus on your more illustrious club career than play county.

Crossmaglen were the same with Armagh for a while and even Corofin don’t have a huge representation on the Galway senior panel.

Also the Down Club structure is meant to be unreal. 22 games in the League with games every Friday night from March to August.

1 Like

Ya I was disappointed in their performance that day against Corofin. Very defensive and none of the panache you expect from a Down team in HQ.

Ah to be fair they had to be pragmatic.

They would have been ripped asunder in an open game and they very nearly pulled it off.

1 Like

Yes. I am going to bring him out for a few runs because he has had a little too much pasta lately.

1 Like

Is that at all adult grades? That sounds class. Too much training and not enough matches is very frustrating.

Division One anyway and probably similar all the way down.

They take their leagues very seriously across Ulster something the rest of the country could learn from.

On another note Conor Laverty is something else.

Between still playing for Kilcoo, coaching teams, working as a Development officer in Trinity, Sheep farming and having 4 small children I don’t know how he does it.

2 Likes

Bit of class about him tonight too with no celebration, gathering the team around him immediately after the game to remind them of the situation and the captain not lifting the cup over his head. Laverty is a great football man.

13 Likes

ah yeah- id only have experience of playing a few games up there when i was younger.
soccer can be a tricky one to figure out at club level up north, the national team is followed only by the prods but like here its the game of the working class man, at a local junior level teams are either catholic or protestant , at senior level then say a team like glentoran, crusaders or linfield would be 50/50 catholic /protestant players but the fans are only prods
saying that, absolutely nobody goes to watch newry city or dungannon the two irish prem div teams from nationalist towns - maybe catholics bar cliftonville fans just dont go to watch the games… newry tho, christ you may as well be in dundalk

yer one aimee macken there who plays for armagh, she played soccer for NI

I really expected that sentence to end with Lod

2 Likes

Laverty is the epitome of what I’d regard as an Ulster footballer. Skill, fights above his weight and the bit between his teeth

2 Likes

I’d say Laverty will be a strong favourite for the Down job now.

Would there be many cases of an intercounty manager who takes over a team where he would have played with a lot of them in the recent years?

I know there are players who go into management soon after retirement but never really with their own county straight away. He still plays club football too as far as I’m aware.

Anthony Daly in Clare played his last game in 2001 and took over as manager 18 months later

2 Likes

Eamonn Fitzmaurice would be a very recent and successful example.

1 Like

Would Jim McGuinness have played with a lot of the Donegal team he managed?

Cassidy, McFadden, Lacey etc?