Official All Ireland Minor and U20 Hurling & Football Thread (Part 1)

And what catholics there are in Ards only hurl

3 Likes

That’s a fine ream they have there, should get a nice few seniors out of it. I wouldn’t be au fait with the set up in Down and mission, just always assume Monaghan have a way smaller pick than everyone!

Wonderful footballing county though, the 91 and 94 AI winning teams had some iconic players.

4 Likes

Would they be the Northern team with the most pedigree going back to winning all Irelands in the 60s?

Great surge in 2010 to the final too when they had Marty Clarke back playing. Only a year after a defeat to Wicklow in fortress Aughrim.

1 Like

I would think so anyway, as far as I remember the 2010 AI vs Cork was the first game they ever lost in Croke Park.

I think they played an AI final in the 60s that had north of 90k in attendance.

1 Like

That is mental

Clarke was picked up by the TV cameras tonight as was SeĂĄn Boylan. Are they involved in an official capacity with the team?

2 Likes

agreed
Newry is a pure soccer down
its the exact same as dundalk

1 Like

First All-Ireland lost by Down, would have lost a few semi-finals there alright.

2 Likes

3 of the starting 15 tonight from Newry clubs. But soccer is huge there as well

1 Like

One of the Down subs was talking to Boylan at the time in what looked to be their team section so he must be

1 Like

Wicklow were decent back then under Micko though. They knocked out Cavan, Down and Fermanagh in 2009 and gave Kildare a good rattle. Of course the GAA hadn’t even allowed them or any other div 4 teams into the qualifiers the two previous years.

1 Like

Yeah they put everything into it this year, Laverty brought Boylan and Clarke in and though no. 11 Johnston played senior for Down last year he stayed with the U20s this year. Considering they showed little at minor 3 years ago it was a fine achievement to win that, just shows what impact a few lads with enthusiasm, knowledge and the respect of players can do with an underage group.
Down football badly needed that to be fair. Don’t know if Laverty is fit for the senior job yet or would take it, but it would instantly solve the Kilcoo problem if he did.

4 Likes

Would have been interesting to see what would have happened if Boylan had been allowed carry out another Meath rebuild in 2005. They’ve never been the same since his departure.

1 Like

What’s the Kilcoo problem?

Are they refusing to play for the county?

Boylan and Clarke are 2 serious operators to have in the camp.

Not playing for Paddy Tally anyway which is perfectly understandable. 2 or 3 in the county squad the last couple of seasons, 2 Branningans are very obvious absentees.

3 Likes

They are, the fact they are in there shows the respect Laverty has as well though. Laverty has a brilliant football brain, done some coaching with Monaghan in recent seasons and he will be planning big.

1 Like