Official Arsenal FC Thread - 2016/17

:joy:

@briantinnion

Are we okay with this loan move of Wilshere to Bournemouth?

Iā€™m a little worried about Jackā€™s nightlife options but I understand he should still be able to maintain his social life in London so for that reason Iā€™m endorsing the move.

1 Like

Wenger has mainly played Wilshere on right wing when he has been fit. So a concern is that he has let three wide players go in last couple of weeks, while we are left with underperforming Ox and Theo.

If Sanchez picks up an injury, we will struggle. Wenger must have a lot of faith in Jeff and Willock.
Still, the main thing at the start of the transfer window was not to lose Sanogo. So overall itā€™s been a successful window.

1 Like

Absolute garbage at the moment. I should get a hobby so I donā€™t spend my time watching this shite week in week out.

Very soft Jay Leno for Arsenal gets them out of jail.

Now not to concede in injury time.

Iā€™ll second that

Leicesterā€™s players have revealed that the inspiration and pivotal moment in their incredible Premier League success came from triumphant selfies posted by one of their title rivals, Arsenal.

The two sides met at the Emirates in February when Leicester led the League by five points. After going 1-0 up, the visitors had Danny Simpson dismissed in the second-half and lost 2-1 thanks to a last minute goal from Danny Welbeck.

Disconsolate in the dressing room afterwards, the Leicester players were stirred by a flurry of Tweets from their opponents featuring a group celebration photo.

ā€œFor me the point in the season was when we lost to Arsenal and it was the last - minute. Everyone was celebratingā€ says Robert Huth in exclusive extracts from Fearless: The Amazing Underdog Story of Leicester City, published in todayā€™s Sunday Times.

ā€œWe were sitting in the changing room. They were doing selfies, even though we were still top. We have a group on the phones. A few of the lads stuck a few [of Arsenalā€™s] pictures up and it got the blood boiling. Certainly, it gave us an extra yard in the next few gamesā€.

Huthā€™s view is echoed by Kasper Schmeichel and Andy King. "Losing the game in the way we did? Seeing Arsenal celebrate as if they had basically won the league against us: that a victory against us could mean so much to them? It really showed how far weā€™d come says Schmeichel.

"Watching them celebrate, for me was actually a boost.

King made the same point. "There were people after that game who thought they had won the World Cup! They were on their knees, pointing to the skies, doing victory laps of honourā€¦ We were like, ā€œhold onā€.

After the defeat to Arsenal, Leicester were unbeaten in their remaining 12 matches and won the League, with two games to spare. Arsenal, by contrast, picked up one point in their next three games.

1 Like

Leicester players werenā€™t bothered about winning the league, they could take or leave it. But after seeing Arsenal selfies they thought ā€œletā€™s actually try to win it nowā€.

If Arsenal hadnā€™t celebrated that last minute winner, Leicester probably wouldnā€™t have tried to win another game for rest of season.

2 Likes

Seems that was the case alright.

Arsenal players celebrated the last minute winner v Southampton last week. Put your money on Saints for the title this year.

1 Like

Seems highly plausible.

Any celebratory selfies from the Woolwich dressing room after that huge win against Southampton?

I think so, a few players usually tweet after each win, as do a lot of teams.

Maybe team selfies are good for team spirit and bonding and could have contributed to Arsenal finishing ahead of 18 other teams last season.

To be honest though, Iā€™m not convinced that selfies decide title races. Itā€™s probably more what happens on the pitch.

1 Like

Does it really matter? As long as Arsenal didnā€™t win the league everyoneā€™s happy.

1 Like

@carryharry @briantinnion have a good night lads. Itā€™s our year.

2 Likes

Nothing to be blowing too much about tbh, hopefully there were no selfies in the dressing room afterwards.

Credit though, good performance.

1 Like

Chelsea had selfies after beating Leicester during week, so obviously we were going to beat them tonight.

Why do so many teams persist with selfies when it has been proven to be so detrimental.

1 Like

Weā€™ve actually just walked it in against Burnley to sneak a win in Injury time. :clap::clap:

1 Like

Champions find a way.

1 Like

Contrast the scintillating football that Tottenham played today to dismantle Guardiolaā€™s Manchester City to the grubby cheating handball from Woolwich to rob Burnley in injury time. Some things never change with Woolwich. A horrible, horrible club.